Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soups for after banding

I wanted to get some ideas and recipes for Soups after surgery - someone mentioned a cheesy tortilla and that sounds delicous - but can't find it!

I wanted to get some ideas and recipes for Soups after surgery - someone mentioned a cheesy tortilla and that sounds delicious - but can't find it!

This isn't the recipe you're looking for, but a friend posted this a few days ago and she says it's great. Just have ONE dumpling. But not for right after surgery. She is a big advocate of making your own broth for right after surgery. This recipe you could probably skip the dumplings and puree for the "mushie" stage.

chicken & Dumpling Soup

David's Note: Chicken & Dumplings is a popular comfort food dish commonly found in the South. This recipe converts that dish into a hearty Soup perfect for cold winter days. For a richer broth, remove the chicken from the bones as soon as it's tender and refrigerate. Add the bones back to the soup and continue simmering until desired strength is achieved. Strain and proceed.

To be prepared in K28786 — Crock-Pot Designer Series 6-qt. slow cooker with stoneware vessel

Ingredients:

Chicken:

2 -1/2 — 3 lbs. of chicken pieces with the skin removed

4 cups of chicken broth

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 can cream of chicken soup (Healthy Choice)

1 large yellow onion, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

3 medium carrots, chopped

1 cup of peas, frozen or fresh (Leaving out the peas :thumbup:

1 bay leaf

1-1/2 tsp. seasoned salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. rosemary

1/2 tsp. thyme

Dumplings:

2 cups baking mix (Bisquick or similar) (Lite 80 cal for 1 dumpling

1/2 cup milk (using skim)

Directions:

In a large skillet, sauté chicken pieces in olive oil until brown on both sides, about 3 — 4 minutes on each side.

Put all ingredients except the biscuits in a 6-qt. Crock-Pot or slow cooker and cover. Cook on high for 4 — 5 hours.

While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, prepare the dumplings. Mix the baking mix and milk together and form into 1-inch balls.

Remove chicken and bay leaf from pot. Take out all leftover bones and skin and discard. Cut the large pieces of chicken meat into bite-size pieces.

Put chicken pieces back into the Crock-Pot and drop in the biscuit dough balls. Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes. Serve in bowls with a biscuit or two for each person.

995v.gif 12_4_60.gif

Here are a few of my fav Soup recipes!!

Red Lentil Soup

Ingredients:

Olive oil Salt

Pepper

Water

Lemon juice

1/2 tsp Cumin

1/2 tsp Coriander

1/2 tsp Basil

1/4 cup Beef bouillon powder

1 Onion

1-2 Garlic cloves

1 bag Goya red lentils

1/4 cup Barley

2 can (15 oz) tomatoes (any kind)

1 quart Rice dream

Grated orange rind (half an orange)

In a large soup pot, saute onion and garlic in very very small amount of olive oil (you don't need much!!) until translucent. Add all ingredients to pot and cover with Water (fill the cans of tomatoes with water and pour it in), about half way up. Let this cook for 2 hours. Then pour soup in food processor or use immersion blender to puree.

1 cup: 112 calories, 1.8g fat, 20g carbs, 4.1g Fiber, 4.5g Protein

Gazpacho (love this soup, no actual cooking required!)

Ingredients:

1 Hothouse cucumber, halved and seeded, but not peeled

2 Red bell peppers, cored and seeded

4 Plum tomatoes

1 Red onion

3 Garlic cloves, minced

23 ounces Tomato juice (3 cups)

1/4 cup White wine vinegar

1 teaspoon Good olive oil (or leave it out if you want)

1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt

1 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper

Roughly chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onions into 1-inch cubes. Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess!

After each vegetable is processed, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. The longer gazpacho sits, the more the flavors develop.

1 cup: 85 calories, 3.7g fat, 12.6g carbs, 1.8g Fiber, 2.5g Protein

And lastly, here is a recipe for Korean Spicy Soft Tofu Soup from my blog (nutritional info is on there as well): Violinist With A Band: Recipe: Soon Dubu Chigae (Korean Spicy Soft Tofu Stew)

Its one of my favorite soups/stews ever. If you don't have access to a Korean market for soft tofu, silken tofu works great!