Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Hungry!!!!!!

I had my surgery Tuesday and was doing great and so far liquids are going down great w/no problems.

Well today I started getting REALLY hungry and my stomach hurts from the hunger pangs and let me tell you the liquids are not doing it.

Anyways today was Thanksgiving and I was bad!

I feel like such a failure because I had mashed potatoes and some other mushy stuff that I know I should not be eating yet.

It went down fine and all I noticd now is that I have alot more gas -my fault.

I gave into the smells and the food all looked so good.

Today was a bad day food wise but tomorrow I know I need to be good BUT I can't stand the hunger pain!

Did any of you guys go through this?

I hope I did not ruin the band.

Caroline

Caroline - I can so totally sympathize with you. The hunger pains are the worst!! It literally hurts!! Since I was banded the same day as you I don't have an answer for you but am looking forward to the replies just as well as you!! Hang in there - we will do GREAT!! The worst part is over!

The best way I've found to overcome the hunger pangs are to drink the Protein Shakes. Protein stays with you much longer, but as soon as you add carbs it starts the hunger all over again. This probably sounds gross, but like I said before I can eat almost anything; it doesn't have to taste wonderful. This morning I had a scoop of chocolate Protein Powder (22 gr) 1/4 C. Sanalac powdered milk (8 gr), 3 T. unflavored protein powder (20 gr) and mixed it with 1 cup chocolate soy milk (7 gr). It was almost the consistency of pudding. This will hold me until supper tonight. Don't try this unless you have a strong stomach. To me it doesn't taste that bad but others would probably gag on it. We grew up post-depression when we did not have the luxury of being fussy about what was on the table. In one way that was really bad because it set me up for my weight problems, but in another way its good because I can stomach things others might find repulsive. Holding your nose also helps.

:rolleyes:

Guest debtx

I to was really hungry. I totally know how you feel. I found that sf pudding cups helped me alot. My doctor on his liquid list was coffe,tea, diluted fruit juice, broth, blenderized Soup, skim milk, Jello, popsicles, yogurt, sugar free pudding, cottage cheese, applesauce, oatmeal, grits,cream or wheat, oatmeal (runny), v8 low sodium, Protein Drinks, carnation instant Breakfast. I only made it through the liquid phase with sf pudding was my friend.. That was my lifesaver. I was hungry alot. I went to my daughters soccer party just 3 days after surgery. 11/5/03. It was at a mexican resturant( my favorite food) that was hard. i wound up eating one chip. I ate one or two bites of chile con queso w/hot sauce and order tortilla soup and drank the broth. None of that is on that list above for me....lol..... everyone's food looked so good. I survived. I made it on liquids 10 days after that I called doctors office and asked if I could go to soft foods. they gave me the green light. I had to reply to you because another thing I did about 6 days post op I was really really hungry and that liquid wasn't gettin it so on my way home from work I stopped at lubys and got some mashed potates. I took about 5 little bites and got nauseted. they were to thick for me had they been put in a blender it proably would of gone down fine.. but I didn't PB or nothing like that just sick feeling. i think your okay. I did kinda what you did. Carnation instant breakfast was a filler for me for breakfast. I would put a scoopful of Protein Powder in with it. The list above I don't want to tell you anything wrong some doctors say liquids and that means liquids my doc gave me this list. I just wanted to share. Hoping that it would help. Just remember it only gets better from here on out or at least thats how I feel now that I am on my soft diet I am not hungry like I was on liquids. .

best of luck,

deb

banded 11/5/03)

Okay you made me feel normal-lol

I like your doctors liquid diet better than mine.

I have noticed every doctor has different post-op diets. I wonder why?

I have been having this lowfat whipped yogurt w/jello for breakfast and that fils me up.

But it dawned on me that I was not following one of the rules and that is don't drink while you are eating. It is not that I meant to do it but it is just a habit.

Well now that I have stopped doing this I notice ia m full longer.

Thanks again for the post and for making me realize that I am not the only one who has kind of not been perfect on the liquid phase.

Caroline