Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what happens afterward

I am having my lapband removed on wednesday, I am curious about how long it will be before i will feel up to going back to work, and when will i be able to eat normally..any help is appreciated..i have a formal affair 10 days after surgery and i am hoping not to have any issues

When I had mine removed it seemed like recovery was much easier than when I had it put in. Also there weren't any restrictions about food intake after it was removed except for the day of removal. I don't know your situation and but I'd think as long as it is done laparoscopically and you don't have any complications going to a function in ten days shouldn't be a prob. Good luck, Nancy.

thanks so much, i was hoping that it would be relatively easy recovery...i cant wait to get this thing out of me:thumbup:

Stacy,

it is generally an easier experience having it taken out than it is having it put in, UNLESS there is some major complication (erosion, etc) that is the reason for it being removed.

I would encourage you, though, to take whatever experience you have had with the band and use it to your advantage. Since you haven't explained what the circumstances are that have brought you to the point of removal, it's hard to give you specific advice, but I really hope that you will try and retain whatever positive eating habits you may have gained during your time with the Lap Band.

Many people have their Band removed and are able to continue with their weight loss, but many are not, and they begin regaining weight the moment they step out of the hospital. Try and continue eating as though you still have the Lap Band in place.

Regardless of the reason you are having it removed, you are certainly not alone. The Lap Band can and does cause a lot of problems for some people, and the number of removals and serious complications is on the rise.

I wish you the best of luck......It IS possible to lose weight and be healthy without the band (or any WLS)....sometimes it's a little harder, but many, many people are able to rise to that challenge. I am sincerely hoping that you will be one of them!

S,

Hi,

I had my lapband out on 31st March 2010. I had no fill and high restriction and was vomitting on a daily basis and somedays the restriction was so great i could barely keep any liquid down.

Since having the band out i am still struggling to eat or drink normally. I am not sure if it is just because for the past 7 years i have struggled with eating and drinking and maybe my mind is playing games with me or if my stomach has not "returned" to how it was prior getting the band.

I have been sticking towards softer/mushy foods at the moment as my wounds are still fresh and sore , so do not want to over do it.

I have been getting shoulder pain, mainly when i get the hiccups or breath too deep.

Hope all goes well for you

I had my band out march 24, 2010. I was able to eat whatever the following day. I am expierencing excessive reflux now, but my dr thinks it is from the band being on for so long and the sphincter has not been used. I am currently taking previcid and it should heal itself....otherwise I have felt great, started cardio excersice after 2 weeks and full strentgh training 4 weeks post-op.