Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amniocentesis at 36 weeks...

I am currently 30/31 weeks pregnant in a high risk pregnancy. My ob and perinatologist want to do an amniocentesis at 36 weeks to check to see if the baby's lungs are mature and what not and if everything looks good they're going to do a c-section around the sametime. Has anyone else had a late term amnio? I am so scared about having this done and welcome any input! Thank you so much. Also, I have already had the steroid shots to help mature her lungs...thank you!

I'm sorry you have to deal with such stressful decisions!

I have NOT had an amnio, but my very limited understanding is that one of the biggest risks with amniocentesis is early labor. By having one at 36 weeks, it seems like a great deal of your risk (and it's relatively low to start with) is mitigated by the fact that baby is far enough along to do well, especially if you've had the steroid shots already.

I'm sure it's scary to contemplate no matter when you have it done, but much better to be one of the rare few who go into labor at 36 weeks than at 20 weeks!

I don't know what else makes your pregnancy high risk so obviously can't take that into account. I hope things go well for you!

I personally have not had an amnio, but I do take care of pregnant women before and after they have an amnio. Of course there are risks involved, but if it makes you feel better I've never seen anyone go into labor or have their baby injured from an amnio. They are done during an ultrasound to make sure they can get a good pocket of Fluid and that the baby is out of the way. If the doc can't safely get to the pocket, they just don't do the amnio. You once shared your experience with your son's birth with me. The (life threating) DANGER you and your son were in with your last pregnancy is not even comparable to the risks of an amnio. I am so glad to hear that you are so far along in your pregnancy and doing well! I wish you the very best of luck!!!

The problem of going into labor early is that my baby is measuring small...she's measuring at around 26 weeks and she's 32...she weighs around 2 pounds. I've had a baby early already once and it's really tough on me and baby. Also they don't want me to go into labor...I have to have a c-section. Thank you both for you input. I am so scared about it. I have a doppler test Thursday to see if she's getting enough oxygen and then I guess we'll go from there.

Hi again! I totally understand not wanting to have your baby early, you are a smart woman. I wish all moms cared as much about their babies as you do. I do not see very much high risk stuff at my small country hospital, but I do know that when babies stop growing well inside, sometimes they have to be delivered and actually do much better on the out side. I find myself thinking of you everyday and I wish you and your baby the very best! I can't wait to hear that she has arrived (hopefully in several weeks)! :)

Okay so. Jan 27th I started contracting. They put me on Niphedapine. It didn't help and they were stronger and closer together. Jan 29th I was admited to the hospital and put on Magnesium. Feb 7th they took me off the Mag and put me back on the Niphedapine. The contractions came back and the morning of the 10th I began bleeding. Samantha Rae was born at 9.14 am at 35 weeks gestation weighing 3 pounds 8 ounces and almost 18 inches long. I was released from the hospital This last Saturday and she's still in the NICU...This was quite a ride that I never want to take again lol. Guess I got out of having that amnio though lol

Congratulations on your baby girl! I'm glad to hear you are doing well, how is little samantha doing? You will have to update us when you get a chance, I'm sure you are very busy right now. Congratulations again!

Edited by Smartiegirl
I spell like a 1st grader :o)

Sam is doing pretty well. She hasn't needed oxygen at all. She's up to 3 pounds 13 ounces. All she needs to do is nipple all her feeds, lower her bilirubin, and maintain her own temp! Hopefully, she'll come home sometime next week or so!

Sami Sam came home on the 22nd after just barely 12 days in the NICU! OMG I have a newborn!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Good luck and may you get at least a little sleep! I am so glad to hear she is doing well, that is wonderful.

My lil porker is up to 4.6 pounds! lol. They had to do an EKG the other day cause her heart rate was fast, but it came back on the high side of normal so they said she was fine :smile2: YAY!