Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am working my way through the process of getting banded and I have been doing a lot of research into the whole band versus by-pass question. So, for those of you that have also done your research, can you give me five reasons why you have chosen the lap band over gastric by-pass? I have issues which could make either choice reasonable. I just wondered what has made any of you make the decision to go with the lap band.

Thanks.

Elgrad

Five reasons for me are

1. My hospital paid every single thing, only thing I had to pay for was the preop diet which was around $200 as I was postponed twice - They pay for all my fills as well

2. Health - this should actually be number one but oh well, I'm 21 and looking a transplant in 5-10 years and the weight I am now I wouldnt be able to go on the list.

3. Bypass is to invasive I think - I don't like the fact that my organs are going to be rearranged.

4. How quick you loose the weight after bypass - Yes I want to loose the weight but I think it's for extremely big people - I'm 125kgs which is 275lbs and I think I'm too small for it and I don't think that loosing 100lbs in a month is very healthy.

As for 5 I dunno, the benefits of health and a better life overall overweigh any of the negatives for me personally. Good luck =)

thanks for the question. i am 6 days post op and thinking of what you said has allowed me to kind of solidify in my mind that i feel i made the right choice. i can give you more than 5.

1. i felt that by pass was too invasive.

2. hospital stay and time out of work simply too long for my schedule (i have a 5 year old and work and have my own business)

3. while i want to lose weight, like the other poster, i don't want to lose it too quickly. gall stones is a concern after either procedure but it is my understanding that what really causes gallstones is rapid weight loss and the band loss is more gradual

4. being more gradual there is a better chance for my skin to pull tight rather than sag and i don't just want to be thin, i want my body to look healthy.

5. i didn't want to worry about mal absorption, thinning hair

6. once i heard about dumping syndrome i knew it wasn't for me. i don't think i can go the rest of my life without EVER having ANYTHING with sugar in it (i can't stand artificial sweetners) and the thought of dumping scared me.

7. yes with lap band there is PBing which i haven't experienced and i know how awful it is, but i felt that it might be the lesser of 2 evils (we'll see after my first experience with it)

8. bypassers lose more weight up front but then gain some back. i don't want to continue to yo-yo.

9. knowing that the band is reversable and adjustable. in case of serious illness and i need to focus on my nutritional intake saline can easily be let out to allow for more calorie consumption.

10. if i start gaining in the future i can always have the band tightened again for continued results

11. complication rate/infection rate is lower with band

i think i could go on and come up with even more. i would join a bypass group and ask the same questions to them. i would be curious to hear their answers. i will tell you that my brother's girlfriend who is 27 and lost 115 lbs on the band told me some of the reasons she chose bypass over the band were that she didn't want to have to deal with such close monitoring required for fills (which is another thing i actually like. i like my surgeon to be involved as an additional support person for the rest of my weight loss journey) and she also had acid reflux which her dr. felt would be made worse with the band.

please post again and let us know what/if you decide. good luck

I don't know if I can name 5 but I'll tell you my number 1.

No one knows how their body will "react" and if I had any complications it is a comfort knowing the band can be removed. If there are complications with by-pass it is my understanding there is no going back - that's it, done deal.

Something I didn't realize: The body really will take time to adjust. I thought once I could go on solids after the surgery I was magically "cured" of urges to overeat or that I wouldn't think about eating all the time but that's the not the reality. It is a tool that takes time to adjust to. It took me about 4 months but I love it today and I'm glad I did it.

Good luck.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches