Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Weeks Post Op - feeling great

Hi Everyone,

I’m officially 6 weeks post gastric bypass and I’m feeling great!

Starting weight pre-liquid diet was 305lbs. After 3 week liquid diet on day of surgery I weighed in at 277lbs. Today, I’m sitting at 243lbs! I was on the post op liquid diet for 2 weeks then semi-solid for 1 week. 4th week out I started on full solids and have kept everything down. I’ve had pizza, subs, burgers, hotdogs, steak, pork, ribs, wings etc and have never felt nauseous or thrown anything back up. Of course I can only have bites/ounces at a time but it’s great to be back on regular food! With the doctors blessing I golfed 4.5 weeks out and got in 13 holes before it hurt to much to finish, but finished a full round of 18 the next week. Even rode my bike 6km yesterday with the kids....which is who I did this journey in the first place!

I’ve had type 2 diabetes for 5 years and have stopped taking meds about 3 weeks ago (doctors suggested) as my resting sugars have not gone over 6.5 in weeks.

I’ve read lots of posts on here steering inquiring people the wrong way with horror stories of months/years of not eating regular food and/or not being able to do physical activities months/years post op. My answer is listen to your doctor and your body and do what’s best for you. Everyone is different and the post op experiences are going to be vastly different.

Thanks and looking forward to more weight loss and more physical activities with my kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW!!! Such a great post - congratulations and so very happy for your success!!

Congrats on such a quick recovery!

My 21yo son was considering following me with his own WLS but just found out he can "never" have carbonated beverages again after WLS. He does not want to give up beer entirely and therefore says he will no longer consider WLS. At this point, have you had any? Do you anticipate trying some?

Thanks!

My 21yo son was considering following me with his own WLS but just found out he can "never" have carbonated beverages again after WLS. He does not want to give up beer entirely and therefore says he will no longer consider WLS. At this point, have you had any? Do you anticipate trying some?
Thanks!

I have not tried any carbonated drinks (I was never a beer or pop drinker anyways). A friend of mine is 5 years post op and says he has a small can of coke from time to time. He says it does feel uncomfortable (bloating) for a few hours after from the gas build up but he fights through it. I assume everyone’s pain/discomfort tolerance would be different so who knows how someone else would react. As far as the alcohol, my doctor said the reason they tell you it’s “forbidden” after the fact is because whatever part of the stomach that absorbs alcohol safely is bypassed so someone that consumes alcohol post op will get drunk 100 times faster on way less and such could result in becoming a full blown alcoholic. I personally don’t think it’s worth the risk but again each person could handle it differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had soda/pop since my surgery. I have it rarely and shake it up to reduce the carbonation. The carbonation creates more gas which can be uncomfortable. Carbonated Water is very hard on our kidney function. Also drinking thru a straw can increase flatus. Maybe your son is not serious enough about his health if he gives up so easily.
Praying he chose health over beer soon. It is a journey which should not be taken lightly. WLS is not for everyone. 😀😀

On 5/18/2021 at 9:58 AM, GingersnapMI said:

Thanks!

My WLS program gives recommendations and suggestions for a healthy lifestyle and habits following surgery. Yet, they were quite clear that they realize we are individuals who will make our own choices. NEVER is a big word. Alcohol use in general is discouraged: it is empty calories, can lead to poor choices and transfer addictions is a risk. That being said, many veterans on this site describe healthy use of alcohol post surgery. I am 5 months post-RNY. I have not yet had alcohol. But in a month or so, I plan to. I enjoy a good cocktail. It is not a never for me.

Carbonation may be problematic for some and not for others. I never was a big soda drinker (diet or regular) pre-surgery. However, on 2 occasions post-surgery, I have had multiple diet sodas over the course of an evening. It caused me no problem. Of course, I tried it at home first.

I started using a straw about 2 weeks after surgery. When I inquired about it prior to surgery, the answer I received was to try it. If it caused discomfort, don't do it. If it didn't bother me, there was no harm. I was given the same advice on coffee.