Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling nauseous

Hi,I'm 12 weeks post bypass and have been feeling rather nauseous at even the thought of food...I've been fine up until now,but this past week the thought of even a tiny bit of my favourite food is turning my stomach. Please tell me this passes 🙏

OK, I am 17+ years post-op.

At about your stage, though most of you is healed, the insides take up to 6 months to heal completely. During that time things can still get a little testy.

Even now, I find if I don't drink enough I'm gonna get nauseous. If I don't eat well, it will make later eating more difficult because of nausea.

But, another feature of my RNY is relatively early I learned that when I think of a particular food my stomach either says 'yes' or 'no' via a nauseous lurch. Initially I didn't pay attention which was invariably a mistake. Now I pay attention.

Even now, though, I have to be careful to eat appropriately. It's a habit to build early.

If you are following your plan religiously and still having such issues discuss it with your doc. If you are not following your plan religiously then you know what you need to do.

Good luck

Tek

Oh man, I can relate. Four months post-op and I feel nauseated more than half of the time that I eat anything. It's totally hit or miss. I can eat a particular food and feel OK afterwards, and the next time I eat it I feel like I'm going to hurl. I also feel like there's a rock in my esophagus almost all the time. Talked to my surgeon's office and my nutritionist this week, and I'm going to start taking Pepcid to see if it helps. They had me on Omeprazole for three months post-op, and these problems really didn't start until I was done with that. I think my entire digestive tract is just a lot more sensitive than it used to be.

@LisaMc47, if you feel like you can't handle solid food, try some Protein Shakes or drinks, if you can handle them. Sometimes I just have to resort to that, especially since eating solid Protein seems to be one of my worst triggers. Also it's true, your relationship to food changes a lot. For me, I don't really take any joy in eating, even the things that I really like, and I think it's because feeling sick after eating more than half the time has conditioned me not to want to eat.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better.