Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved UHC Medicare Advantage



Recommended Posts

I am so impatient. I just called UHC and asked about my prior auth and she said I was approved as of 4/30. I called Anita, my insurance nurse, and left her a message. I'm so excited and hoping now some of my anxiety and stress will diminish.

For stats if anyone is wondering, this was my process:

*6 mo physician supervised diet/exercise

*5 years of BMI (didn't have to be over 35)

*my co-morbids are osteoarthritis, GERD, borderline DM, borderline hypertension, borderline high cholesterol

*my submitted BMI was 37 (I maintained my weight for 6 months, didn't try to lose weight)

*cardiac clearance

*psych clearance

**didn't need sleep clearance because I don't have apnea

Started process in November 2018

Final clearance was 4/16

Submitted to UHC on 4/19

Approved by UHC on 4/30 with no denials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PreOp diet starts 5/14
Surgery is 5/28
Wow!! That 6 mo actually flew by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! So happy and relieve for you! Must feel good.

Waiting for mine, fingers, toes and eyes crossed!!🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank you!! I’m relieved, slept better last night. Good luck!! 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank you!! I’m relieved, slept better last night. Good luck!! 🤞🏼🤞🏼
Thank you! Please keep us updated about surgery and all! Good luck and well wishes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello LLane RN, how are you? And how is preop diet going? I bet you are at the edge of your seat!

I just wanted to give you my update. I too got my approoval today and I could not be happier!!

I met surgeon first time 4/24 to have my lap band removed after 7 years od bondage (not all bad, but felt like it). I was disappointed to find that my surgeon would not do the revision simultaneously...but now I am glad she did not as I have had the chance to not go off how I was feeling with the labpband and do some very necessary research both on the site and generally. I did tell the office to go ahead an submit as I did not want a long wait and wanted to know my faith early on in the process.

Request was submitted initially on 4/30 but they had the wrong CPT code and it was resubmitted immediately and we waited 1 week to come find out the new CPT code request was also cancelled same day. So they resubmitted again on 5/13 and they made me wait exactly 2 weeks to hear back today as yesterday was a public holiday that the request was approved.

I met surgeon once, lap band removed on 5/3 and approval today. I am yet to meet the Nutritionist, Psych etc.

I plan to still do all that but it feels good to know the approval is in and I can do all other appointments at my leisure.

Thanks to your encouragement and this site for all the GOLDEN nuggets, it was invaluable.

Good luck to you LLaneRN, I'll be praying that your surgery goes very well and your recovery is speedy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have the same ins. I am on month 4 of weight loss visits, had the psych exam, upper gi, join support group, ekg.

My doc did the same way. He knew what uhc required.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 1:47 PM, LLaneRN said:

I am so impatient. I just called UHC and asked about my prior auth and she said I was approved as of 4/30. I called Anita, my insurance nurse, and left her a message. I'm so excited and hoping now some of my anxiety and stress will diminish.

For stats if anyone is wondering, this was my process:

*6 mo physician supervised diet/exercise

*5 years of BMI (didn't have to be over 35)

*my co-morbids are osteoarthritis, GERD, borderline DM, borderline hypertension, borderline high cholesterol

*my submitted BMI was 37 (I maintained my weight for 6 months, didn't try to lose weight)

*cardiac clearance

*psych clearance

**didn't need sleep clearance because I don't have apnea

Started process in November 2018

Final clearance was 4/16

Submitted to UHC on 4/19

Approved by UHC on 4/30 with no denials

Hey there LLaneRn,

I have UHC advantage plan as well. However, they have told my surgeons office that no prior authorization is required?! They had you go through a prior authorization process? I hope that their not trying to just hang me with an outrageous bill 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mrs.RNBSN said:

Hey there LLaneRn,

I have UHC advantage plan as well. However, they have told my surgeons office that no prior authorization is required?! They had you go through a prior authorization process? I hope that their not trying to just hang me with an outrageous bill 😩

Medicare doesn't require a prior auth but UHC does, even if they're a medicare advantage plan. Your insurance nurse will likely send in everything anyway to obtain a prior auth because they want to make sure they'll get paid. I would just tell the insurance nurse to send it for a prior auth anyway, even if they said it's not required. At least then you have a leg to stand on if they try to deny the claim post op. Also, if they insist a prior auth is not needed then get it in writing. I called UHC several different times and was told something different by each person I spoke to. My surgeon's insurance nurse told me that everyone requires a prior auth except straight medicare patients, they just have to cross their fingers that it's approved after surgery takes place. Hope that's helpful. Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:44 AM, Deedee12 said:

Hello LLane RN, how are you? And how is preop diet going? I bet you are at the edge of your seat!

I just wanted to give you my update. I too got my approoval today and I could not be happier!!

I met surgeon first time 4/24 to have my lap band removed after 7 years od bondage (not all bad, but felt like it). I was disappointed to find that my surgeon would not do the revision simultaneously...but now I am glad she did not as I have had the chance to not go off how I was feeling with the labpband and do some very necessary research both on the site and generally. I did tell the office to go ahead an submit as I did not want a long wait and wanted to know my faith early on in the process.

Request was submitted initially on 4/30 but they had the wrong CPT code and it was resubmitted immediately and we waited 1 week to come find out the new CPT code request was also cancelled same day. So they resubmitted again on 5/13 and they made me wait exactly 2 weeks to hear back today as yesterday was a public holiday that the request was approved.

I met surgeon once, lap band removed on 5/3 and approval today. I am yet to meet the Nutritionist, Psych etc.

I plan to still do all that but it feels good to know the approval is in and I can do all other appointments at my leisure.

Thanks to your encouragement and this site for all the GOLDEN nuggets, it was invaluable.

Good luck to you LLaneRN, I'll be praying that your surgery goes very well and your recovery is speedy!

I had surgery on 5/28. No pain, no hunger, no issues at all. I feel great and am currently 3 weeks post op. I'm getting plenty of exercise and have am in the pureed stage of foods. I hope all goes as planned and smoothly for you. hugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations!! I'm so glad to hear everything is going well! I've been thinking about you and I so appreciate the update and can't wait to join you!
Take care and I wish you a very successful weight loss journey!
Hugs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ms.sss

      Looks like I need people around to complete a 10K.  I tried to do one by myself this afternoon and I gave up at around the 7km mark.  Gonna try again on Friday, but I may have to look into joining a running club...
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • d711

      post op 2 months
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • allwet

      My Surgeon asked me a question the other day and i didn't give it a lot of thought at the time.
      He asked "do you tell"
      we were talking about peoples reaction to seeing me since i lost such a large amount of me.
      I answered that i do tell if they ask but that it seems most everyone is afraid to mention it if they haven't seen me in a while or they decided they already know the answer so they don't need the truth from me (we all know those types)
      I have had exactly one family friend come right out and ask me how i lost so much weight this year and i told her i had Gastric Sleeve.
      I am sure family has passed it around to other family (you have that type family don't you? or is it just me)  
      So that left me wondering "do you tell" and i dont mean right at surgery time. more like a year or so down the road do you say how or do you just say cut out the sugar and carbs and WAALAA
      Its a real personal choice to open yourself up to that kind of criticism and we know all about how we took the "Easy" way and yada yada yada.
      hope everyone is having a great week
      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        If people ask, I am open about it

    • GreenTealael  »  Lynnem6

      💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜
      ⚡⚡HAPPY SURGERY DAY & SAFE JOURNEY⚡⚡
      💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael  »  Lynnem6

      💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜
      ⚡⚡HAPPY SURGERY DAY & SAFE JOURNEY⚡⚡
      💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×