Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my RNY Gastric Bypass on November 14, 2016 and lost most of my weight in the first 9 months. I started this journey at a maximum weight of 360 pounds, and on my day of surgery, weighed 334 pounds and am down to 234 pounds. When I was released from the hospital after my Gastric Bypass, I wasn't sent home with instructions to stay on any PPIs or antacids, so since I was feeling great, I stopped taking my daily regimen of Pepcid. In February earlier this year (2017), I had a perforated intestine that nearly killed me (became septic) and was hospitalized for nearly a week after they repaired the hole in my intestines (near the pouch). I went through another treatment for H. Pylori and was on strong oral antibiotics for 6 weeks, and then have been continuing 20mg of Prilosec every day (have recently started weening myself off of it). In mid-April, I became severely constipated and impacted and was back in the hospital with a diagnosis of Prostatitis. Since then, I have suffered from chronic Constipation and have had solid plateaus for several months at a time. I am posting my story because I am trying to see if anyone else out there has gone through anything similar, and I would like to understand if anyone lost more weight after their first surgical anniversary? I am having a Resting Metabolic Rate test tomorrow morning, so I am trying to figure out why I'm not losing more weight, but thought I would post and see if there is any hope. I am taking Probiotics (Culturelle), multi-vitamins, Calcium/D3 chews, and get all my Protein and Water in every day. I also exercise at least 2-3x per week. To get by, I wind up taking milk of magnesia roughly every other day...I only recently stopped taking Stool Softeners...I had been taking a Stool Softener (2x at night, every night for months). Ironically, I notice things move more easily on their own when I drink a glass of red wine after dinner, but don't want to depend on alcohol to help me go. So, I'm posting because of 2 things: the constipation and the amount of weight loss (the length of time, the plateaus, etc). I am hopeful that as I reduce the Prilosec that things will get better as my body starts producing more acid. Keeping my fingers crossed. Any thoughts?

I am no guru when it comes to nutrition but I have a child with real food intolerances so I am pretty well read on the subject of IBS-D and IBS-C.

If you are suffering from IBS-D your answer is soluble Fiber. That works as a bulking agent. Soluble fiber, which dissolves in Water, can help lower glucose levels as well as help lower blood cholesterol. Foods with soluble fiber include oatmeal, nuts, Beans, lentils, apples and blueberries.

If you are suffering from IBS-C your answer is insoluble fiber. That helps push the food along without adding bulk. Foods with insoluble fibers include wheat, whole wheat bread, whole grain couscous, brown rice, legumes, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes.

OK now I am going to say some unpopular things.

IF you were on any antibiotics, you need to replenish the flora in your gut. Instead of Probiotics in pills form, I would look for Kefir. Lifeway makes all sorts. Just makes sure to check your sugar content as you shouldn't have over 9grams in a food item.

As part of that meal, introduce something whole grain. Also, red meat and cheese are good places to find B12. Before buying processed food items, try going more raw.

Use the app "My Fitness Pal" to help you keep track of your food. 60-80 grams of Protein. A minimum of 35 grams of fiber a day and of course vit b12 and Calcium. I know they LOVE to tout pills but you should really be getting your intake of nutrition via foods not pills.

Oh and for what ever reason you are on for stomach issue meds, try this one and see if u have improvement. Heather's Tummy Care Peppermint Oil -- 90 Enteric Coated Softgels

Good luck. It took me about a year and 3 months to be at goal.