Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you pick this surgery?

Hi, I'm new here and seriously considering a band to bypass revision or a band to sleeve revision. I would like to know why you all chose the bypass. I'm on the fence between sleeve and bypass and just would like some first hand experiences and reasons why you chose this method in hopes that it may help me decide on which would be best for me. Thank in advance!

I'm in the process of band to RNY revision. I choose RNY for a couple reasons. Higher percent of weight loss, malabsorption of some calories, less chance of gerd, higher chance of remission of diabetes and hypertension.

Michelle Pre-op revision band to bypass
Starting weight 275
Healthy BMI 154.

I got "the call" this morning that my Lapband revision to RNY is scheduled for July 5th. My surgeon strongly suggested the RNY over the Sleeve because the Sleeve would make it worse. Also, at my age, he said the risk is less with the RNY. I have had sever complications with this band. I've had it since Jan., 2011. I can't take it anymore and want it out! The surgeon said that 95% of patients with Lapband a taken out gain all of their weight back. I suffered getting off what I did with this thing and don't want to gain it back, thus, the RNY. My starting weight with Lapband was 203, now 170.

On 5/29/2017 at 8:55 PM, Cali_love89 said:

Hi, I'm new here and seriously considering a band to bypass revision or a band to sleeve revision. I would like to know why you all chose the bypass. I'm on the fence between sleeve and bypass and just would like some first hand experiences and reasons why you chose this method in hopes that it may help me decide on which would be best for me. Thank in advance!

Well...A Sleeve is the same technique as a band...meaning it is designed for restriction only. The bypass is both restriction and malabsorbtion. If the band's success for you did not accomplish the goal needed then maybe your doctor should evaluate the need for both restriction and malabsortion. The bypass is not reversible.

Since I had already failed with a restrictive only procedure, I chose to go with rny for my revision. Also I had developed sever GERD and the sleeve is known to make it worse. One other thing: someone above wrote that rny is not reversible. It actually is. Im not sure how often it is done, but it is done. The sleeve, however, is not reverible due to part of the stomach being removed. The sleeve can be revised into a rny bypass.

Ive known several people who revised from lap band to sleeve. One is very happy with results and the other wishes she would have gone with RNY. I really think either is a great option , but it really depends on you and your doctors suggestions.

Thanks for the input, everyone. The lapband was a failure for me from the start. I never had a sweet spot, it was always either too full or too loose. I'm looking forward to getting it out finally.

Thanks for the input, everyone. The lapband was a failure for me from the start. I never had a sweet spot, it was always either too full or too loose. I'm looking forward to getting it out finally.

Same here. I couldn't eat firm Protein or drink some mornings.

Starting weight 275
Healthy BMI 154.

When did you have your revision to rny? I hope you are feeling much better. Mine is scheduled for July 5. I'm very nervous about the surgery and what to expect post op pain, and if eating will be easier, and my age. It's not a choice anymore it's a necessity - inflammation, band slip, closed opening to stomach, esophagitis, and gastritis. Surgeon took out all of the fill until surgery and that helped.

When did you have your revision to rny? I hope you are feeling much better. Mine is scheduled for July 5. I'm very nervous about the surgery and what to expect post op pain, and if eating will be easier, and my age. It's not a choice anymore it's a necessity - inflammation, band slip, closed opening to stomach, esophagitis, and gastritis. Surgeon took out all of the fill until surgery and that helped.

I have not had my revision yet. One more appointment before they submit paperwork to insurance.

Starting weight 275
Healthy BMI 154.

I was scheduled for band to RNY, but changed to sleeve instead. As far as restriction goes, there is a night and day difference for me between when I had the band and now that I have the sleeve. The main difference was having a stomach that was never full even if the band was, so the hunger was always there vs having a small stomach that is easy to fill. I am very happy with the revision and honestly have no complaints about the sleeve at all.

Great news on your revision! I will be so happy to have this Lapband out! July 5th can't come soon enough! I'm just nervous about recovery but I'm sure I won't regret the revision!

I too am considering revision to RNY. My lap-band experience was good for a while, and I lost weight, but I developed esophageal dilation and had to have an unfill. I've regained all my weight plus some, and now am not sure what to do. I qualify for conversion, I'm just scared.

Will I ever be able to eat foods I enjoy again? Will I look like a shriveled flappy scarecrow? After lapband, I had lots of extra skin and it bugged me, so I'm not thrilled about that. But I'm at high risk of diabetes, have high cholesterol and inflammatory arthritis. I have lots of foot and ankle pain and swelling, so it's hard to get moving and exercise. I just don't know if I have any hope left that I can make a long lasting change without more surgery.

I just had the band revision done 2 days ago and I am feeling great. I can swallow pills now..My stomach erosion does not hurt anymore. I don't feel like I am starving and when I eat.. I AM enjoying my Full liquid chicken soup...I feel So much better..I am able to belch now. It's like I am back to normal. It feels so good to be able to drink fluids and not have them go into my lungs. I don't have GERD. I very am confident that I am going to have great results..

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using BariatricPal mobile app