Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastics? When...

Hello guys,

I posted this here because I wanted a guys perspective. I am still in the losing phase of WLS. I started my journey at 688, and am currently at 396. I was wondering how far out before your goal weight (Pounds/months) did you start seeking/interviewing plastic surgeons? My goal when I am done is to be near 225 (after plastics). My WL surgeon estimates 60-70 pounds of total loose skin. What procedures did you have done? Costs? How was recovery? Anything you can pass along, I'd appreciate!

Thanks Guys!!

Most doctors want you at a stable weight for a year, and a BMI under 32

Most doctors want you at a stable weight for a year, and a BMI under 32

I've read that weight stable had to do with allowing the skin to retract, I doubt my skin will do some if any of that from being so stretched out for so long.

Thanks for the tips!

not just that but it is kind of pointless to have them tighten you up and you lose more weight, so it is better to be at a stable weight.

not just that but it is kind of pointless to have them tighten you up and you lose more weight, so it is better to be at a stable weight.

Understand that.

The other thing about waiting is your body make up changes. I know it sounds strange but it really is true.

I would have loved to wait for a year past maintenance but I just could not take the pain my arms were causing on my neck. So I had them done at 5 months post maintenance and am waiting for my tummy and chest.

The other thing about waiting is your body make up changes. I know it sounds strange but it really is true.

I would have loved to wait for a year past maintenance but I just could not take the pain my arms were causing on my neck. So I had them done at 5 months post maintenance and am waiting for my tummy and chest.

Thank you @@Djmohr!

Hi Sal I read your post and saw your video I was wondering are you sure you can't get plastic surgery to fix this covered in anyway I only ask because my nutritionist told me before that if I developed rashes or pain from excess skin that it would be covered as part of the weight-loss procedure

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Sal I read your post and saw your video I was wondering are you sure you can't get plastic surgery to fix this covered in anyway I only ask because my nutritionist told me before that if I developed rashes or pain from excess skin that it would be covered as part of the weight-loss procedure

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sadly, no. My medical team and office coordinators have looked into it and 95% of the procedures I need are not covered. And the one that may be covered, the plastic surgeons I've been in touch with don't bill this insurance, but rather give me a packet with all the info, pictures, and notes, and give it to me to submit for possible reimbursement. Then it would be up to me to chase down the funds from the insurance company. So the bulk of these procedures are on me to finance somehow.

My plan right now is to wait until I can get as lean as I possibly can, and just deal with the extra skin until I get most of the fat off, so the skin is very thin. What I don't want to do is get it done, and then lose a bunch more weight and have it be loose again. I also have heard that when your skin is very thin, it's easier for them to give you a good cosmetic result, and the recovery is easier. So that's what I plan to do.

My plan right now is to wait until I can get as lean as I possibly can, and just deal with the extra skin until I get most of the fat off, so the skin is very thin. What I don't want to do is get it done, and then lose a bunch more weight and have it be loose again. I also have heard that when your skin is very thin, it's easier for them to give you a good cosmetic result, and the recovery is easier. So that's what I plan to do.

Good plan. That's essentially what I'm doing. I'm doing my consults now, to give me an idea of a game-plan when the time is right, which my surgeons are saying is around 280. With the removal of the excess skin, they expect me to fall between 200-225, which is my goal weight territory. I, like you only want to do these surgeries once.