Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quick Eats for the Holiday Season

It’s a busy time of year. You’re shopping for gifts. You’re figuring out child care arrangements for when your children are on winter break. You’re rushing to finish end-of-year projects at work. You’re planning and attending holiday parties and family dinners.

Who has time to eat healthy?

You do! Pre-op or post-op, you can have something healthy on hand for any occasion. There’s no reason you can’t hit your Protein and calories. There’s no reason to turn to junk.

Here’s what you can do to prepare to get you through the usual holiday dilemmas with flying colors.

Start off Right

The problem: Breakfast can be a challenge when you’re scrambling to get yourself and the rest of your household ready for the day. You could end up skipping breakfast, grabbing a sugary toaster pastry, or stopping at the coffee shop for a quick coffee latte and bagel with cream cheese…for 800 calories and 100 grams of carbs!

The solution: Plan instant, single-portioned breakfasts and plan to eat them at home or at work. Try Protein Oatmeal, pack last night’s leftover chicken and veggies in a small container to take with you, or scramble some egg whites, serve them with a slice of avocado, and soak the pan in the sink so you can wash it later.

Keep Away from the food Courts

The problem: You may be spending a lot of time at the mall looking for that perfect gift. You’re going to get hungry after a few hours of shopping. You don’t want to leave the mall, but some choices at the food court can cost you 100’s or over 1,000 calories, enough sodium for a day, and enough sugar for a week.

The solution: Take easy Snacks or tiny meals with you. Along with Protein Bars, you can also carry wholesome snacks such as almonds, grape tomatoes, and cheese sticks. Ward off the temptation to go for unhealthy snacks by carrying your own. For example, try Protein Pretzels instead of butter-dipped soft pretzels, a Crispy Cinnamon Protein Bar instead of a cinnamon bun, or a Triple chocolate Protein Bar instead of an iced brownie.

Keep on Sipping

The problem: You’re so busy you forget to stay hydrated. That leads to a more dangerous surgery if you’re pre-op, and keeps you from recovering as fast if you’re shortly post-op. If you’re a little further along, mild dehydration can leave you exhausted and with a headache, not to mention a big stall on the scale.< /p>

The solution: Drink! Carry Water bottles with you at all times. If you’re so busy you cannot remember to drink, set alarms on your smartphone to remind you. Don’t forget you can also carry water flavoring drops or powders with you to make the water taste better. If you’re on a liquid diet and you’re on the go, carry your Protein Powder with you so it’s always handy. A Ready to shake Protein Shake bottle can make your job easier.

Bring Enough to Share

The problem: You go to holiday parties and there’s nothing for you to eat! The food is a combination of fatty, sugary, starchy, or high-calorie. You could end up getting dumping syndrome, eating way too much, or not eating anything at all – all bad options!

The solution: Bring something you can eat, but bring enough for everyone. Show up with a veggie tray with bean dip and guacamole, a cheese plate with fruit, or a colorful salad with spinach, purple cauliflower, garbanzo Beans, and cherry tomatoes. Then fill your plate with your food and have only bites of the rest.

If the party is a little more formal or a mixer, and you do not think it would be appropriate to bring a dish, just bring something for yourself. Hard-boiled eggs, protein bars, and all-natural turkey Jerky are easy finger foods you can munch on without others noticing.

Cook Some Protein

The problem: You’re too busy. You’re too busy to cook, to clean, to shop, or to plan your meals. The result can be ordering in pizza or Chinese food, going out to eat, or whipping up a box of mac and cheese to serve with garlic bread. Not a good idea!

The solution: Cook and freeze enough servings of lean protein for the week. You could make chicken breast, lean ground turkey fish, or even your own veggie burgers, for example. Then take them out and serve them with steamed vegetables on the side or make simple dishes such as taco salad, stir fry, and fajitas without the tortilla. You’ll have dinner within minutes. If you don’t have time even for one recipe a week or if you want a little variety, single-serve instant Entrees like Vegetable Chili and Sloppy Joe may be for you.

Even when you’re busy, you can still eat well. Depend on high-protein, low-calorie options to get you through. Think about where you’ll be so you can be prepared, and don’t be afraid to use convenient help like bars and pre-packaged snacks and meals. You can stay on track this holiday season and come out proud on the other end!

Family is super helpful in making sure there is food available that fits my diet. I'm struggling with the desire to munch on some tortilla chips right now. I won't eat any as it isn't a mech soft food. Just one of those habits on the holidays I'm not used to resisting.