Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi...new to this site. Been researching about gastric sleeve after gastric banding. Have had my band since Sept 2012 and only lost 14 pounds. I can't stand it anymore. Im not losing weight, I never know if I can eat. Somedays I can, then the next day I can't. throw up ALOT...very embarassing. Get very anxious when I can't eat, which just makes it worse. So then I go for foods I know I can eat...chips, Soups, pudding. Not a great diet at all. I go to the doctor tomorrow to see if the sleeve is an option for me. Not sure what the criteria for a band "faliure" entails. Can anyone relate or give me more info on their experience.

There are a lot of us revisioners / conversions here! Welcome! My band was removed due to "band intolerance". I had mine for five years and lost a whole 28 pounds! I have had my sleeve for five months and I have lost an additional 62 pounds! I was throwing up multiple times a day and could not eat normal healthy foods. I had to survive on sliders. This went on for five years because my band doctor wouldn't do anything about it. I went to a new program and a new surgeon. Right away they said "You have to get this band out quickly". I had Vitamin deficiency, and gastritis and esophagitis (identified through a scope). There was nothing wrong with my band per se but it and my body just did not get along. Docs tried unfilling the band as well as meds for acid and calming/healing the stomach. Nothing worked. I was swollen inside because my body didn't like the band so having it unfilled made no difference. The doc also said that the constant vomiting would eventually lead to barrett's esophogous ( a pre-cancerous condition) and that I could eventually be dealing with repeated pneumonia. Once we had this info my insurance approved me almost immediately as a medically necessary procedure. Hopefully some others will chime in here that had removal due to band failure or mechanical failure vs intolerance. Do a search here on the boards. There is a section specifically dedicated to band to sleeve revisions. Good luck with your appointment!

Thank you for sharing. I just want to move forward. I tried with this thing, it is so disappointing. Im embarassed to tell anyone I have it cuz I look the same. I also have high blood pressure and I still haven't been able to reduce the dosage of my meds. Im afraid I am damaging my esophogus with all this vomitting as well. I had esophogitis and GERD before the band. I too feel like I can't even eat healthy foods, cuz they get stuck . Salads Im done after 2 bites, chicken forget it, even tender meat is a probablem. Pork was a problem from the beginning. eggs are out,most vegetables if I eat Protein before and it gets stuck and I have to vomit. I could go on, but you remember. Thanks for listening.

Of Course! I remember the misery very well. Keep me posted!

hi - i had the lap band for six years - lost 100 lbs which was great but it was mostly due to not being able to eat or keep anything down. In 2010, i developed acid reflux real bad and had to get all the Fluid taken out - he would put a little back in, but i would immediately start back with the acid reflux - it got to the point, i couldn't sleep laying down anymore, so he gave up - i got depressed, went back to my self-medicating with food and quickly ballooned back up to my previous weight. In June, I went to talk to another doctor about revision - he pulled records from my previous doctor documenting attempts to work with the band - had me attend weight management classes for three months, performed an endoscopy and said my esophagus was scarred and my insurance company approved the revision. I think most of the insurance companies are understanding that the lap band does not work seeing how many revisions there's been and seem to approve. Good luck - i wish i had the sleeve done first - the lap band is terrible - i've already lost 40 lbs since my august sleeve revision.

I went to my Dr. on Friday and they wanted to take some Fluid out, but I told them no that I was done with this thing. They ended up taking all my fluid out (8cc) for immediate then my doctor said the Band is not for everyone, so he suggested the sleeve. I am currently in the process now of getting insurance apporoval for the sleeve. The inusrance coordinatior told me once they get the psych eval they can submit for insurance. I hope I get approved. I only had 3 fills over the 14 month period I had it, but it made no difference. I am so mentally stressed over this thing, I want nothing more to do with it. I will keep you updated