Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the boards for quite some time but I never felt the courage to join until now. I have never been comfortable talking about my weight but I guess here would be the best place.

I have been battling my weight since my childhood. I was never the never a really big kid, just slightly thicker than the other girls. It has followed me into my adult hood. I have let my weight hold me back from many things. Ive tried different diets and pills and always gained the weight back. I had never really researched weight loss surgeries until recentily. I realized that I will never be fulliy happy until I am happy with myself, and the excess weight is why I am not happy. I also want to be healthy, I feel like I am not givinng my I children the best me, I am always too tired to play and dont want to do many physical activites.

So I had my first appt with the surgeon in may. He told me something that confirmed my decision. He said you are only 27yrs old and almost 300lbs. That has stuck with me. Although I know im overweight I never realized that im that big if that makes sense. A lot of people say I dont look as much as I weigh so maybe thats why. I dont know. I just know It is time for a change.

At first I wanted the sleeve but I was told that my insurance does not cover it. My surgeon also said that he thinks RNY would give me the best results since I want to loose about 150lbs. So ive gotten use to the idea of RNY then at my recent appt I was told that my insurance now covers the sleeve. Im so confused. I know there are risk with both and I just want to make the best decision that will yeild me the best results. I love sweets so I'm leaning more towards RNY. I am in the process of the required 6 monthly visits. I have three more to go.

What im interested in is learning how life is after RNY. What are social situations like? I have only told my mother, people can be really critical and I dont want anyone saying im taking the easy route. I Also want to meet some people in my age range. im 27 will be turning 28 in Oct. I want to see how life is post surgery. Most of all just looking foward to positive support. :)

Hello everyone' date='

I've been reading the boards for quite some time but I never felt the courage to join until now. I have never been comfortable talking about my weight but I guess here would be the best place.

I have been battling my weight since my childhood. I was never the never a really big kid, just slightly thicker than the other girls. It has followed me into my adult hood. I have let my weight hold me back from many things. Ive tried different diets and pills and always gained the weight back. I had never really researched weight loss surgeries until recentily. I realized that I will never be fulliy happy until I am happy with myself, and the excess weight is why I am not happy. I also want to be healthy, I feel like I am not givinng my I children the best me, I am always too tired to play and dont want to do many physical activites.

So I had my first appt with the surgeon in may. He told me something that confirmed my decision. He said you are only 27yrs old and almost 300lbs. That has stuck with me. Although I know im overweight I never realized that im that big if that makes sense. A lot of people say I dont look as much as I weigh so maybe thats why. I dont know. I just know It is time for a change.

At first I wanted the sleeve but I was told that my insurance does not cover it. My surgeon also said that he thinks RNY would give me the best results since I want to loose about 150lbs. So ive gotten use to the idea of RNY then at my recent appt I was told that my insurance now covers the sleeve. Im so confused. I know there are risk with both and I just want to make the best decision that will yeild me the best results. I love sweets so I'm leaning more towards RNY. I am in the process of the required 6 monthly visits. I have three more to go.

What im interested in is learning how life is after RNY. What are social situations like? I have only told my mother, people can be really critical and I dont want anyone saying im taking the easy route. I Also want to meet some people in my age range. im 27 will be turning 28 in Oct. I want to see how life is post surgery. Most of all just looking foward to positive support. :)[/quote']

I'm pretty much right at speed with you. I'm half way through my six month diet and just did my psychological evaluation today.

I chose rNY because there was not enough long term evidence sorting the sleeve too fully satisfy me. My surgeon also said the sleeve often had to get converted to rNY so I figured why not just go all the way?

I'll be 24 next month so we are pretty close to being the same. I never felt I looked as much as I weigh until I faced reality, so I completely understand there. This is by far the hardest decision I've ever made and at first I didn't tell anyone except my family and fiancee. As it starts to hit me more I've opened up to more people because I needed support. No one has been negative and I've even encouraged a friend to look into it as a lifestyle change for her. I work for my insurance company and I've had a few co workers "figure out" what I'm up to but they've all been supportive. Don't let people be the judge of your life, you are the only one who has the decision to make and you seem to be doing it for all the right reasons.

This forum has been nothing but informative for me and I know you will find so much support and information here as I have. Everyone has either been through it or is going through it so definitely feel free to ask questions or advice! I know I sure have.

Nice to meet you and keep us up to date on your journey!!

Welcome to the club! I am 33 and 13 months post op. I have lost 117. I was always open about my surgery and never his it from anyone. I took the stance that I am proud I took this step for my health. I have not had anyone say it was the easy way out, and when people ask me I am honest about my experience. I did not fully understand until about a month post op, but this is more about a mental battle and not a physical one. I was no longer physically hungry, but my brain has thrown a major temper tantrum. You never realize how many tv shows have food on them, or food commercials until you just don't want the food. I was sick the first three months and had a hard time keeping things down. Now I eat anything I want.

I will say expect to have all your relationships change. You are going through a major life change. The other thing that amazed me was my new relationships. People met the new you and don't know you used to weigh 100 pounds more. They see the new healthy you.

This journey will test you mentally and physically. I learned who I was and discovered I was stronger then I thought. At this point I can do anything. In fact I am trying out for the police academy soon - something I never thought I could do a year ago! Your dreams are in your grasp!