Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow, it's been a strange couple of weeks. Until I met my surgeon a couple of weeks ago, I had planned on lap band. He discouraged me because of his research, and that of others, that lap band was not as successful long term as either VSG or RNY. So, after going into my own research mode, I decided that I'd rather have VSG than RNY unless the EGD showed that it would be better to go RNY. Well, today was the EGD and it turns out that I have Barrett's Esophagus and a hernia. Anyone else with Barrett's? Any suggestions?

Trust your surgeon :). The band and VSG are both notorious for GERD, with Barrett's, you want to protect your esophagus as much as possible so my semi-educated guess (I'm a physician assistant) is to agree with you that that your surgeon will recommend RNY in this case. On a personal note, take care of yourself. Please get your follow up EGDs when you are scheduled to and definitely don't ever smoke!!! Best of luck on your journey and please keep us updated!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 210

You bet! I quit smoking in 1989. I hope that old bad habit won't come back to haunt me. He took biopsies and I'll hear more about Barrett's , my personal results and where to go from here at my appointment next week.

I had a hiatal hernia but tested negative for Barrett's. I'm sorry to hear that you have it. I was planning on doing the RNY to begin with but was told by my surgeon that with the reflux I already have that the sleeve and lap band were not suggested for anyone with GERD.

I have the same issue. Started researching for the lapband. Went to a seminar and changed my mind to the sleeve. After the EGD results I found out that I have a hiatal hernia AND Barret's esophagus. "IF" the Barret's progresses later on they use the stomach to make repairs. With the sleeve surgery they remove the stomach portion. Now my option has moved to RNY! I was very upset in the beginning when I find out the results. I had never heard of a hiatal hernia or Barrett's esophagus! Now that I have researched all 3 surgeries I know this will be the better choice. I do feel like I'm having to start all over again but truly grateful for having the EGD and finding that I do have something wrong! It certainly explains a lot! I believe there is a reason for everything and I would have never went this route if it hadn't been for some wonderful people looking out for me!

About 5 years ago I jumped thru all the hoops for lapband. I made it to the point where I met w my surgeon and he told me that generally people with my BMI (50) often returned for RNY after 5 years. He asked if I would be satisfied losing only 35-45 lbs in 5 yrs. I answered no. He then said he would not recommend me for lapband, but would recommend rny. At the time I wasn't convinced I was ready for RNY so I opted out. Now 5 yrs later with a BMI of 52 I am 6 days away from my RNY surgery. I wish I would have listened and just gone w the surgeons recommendation at the time. But everything happens for a reason and today I am mentally and emotionally ready for it! I hope you listen to your surgeon and take into account what you are ready for. Best of luck!!

It's funny, but by getting this diagnosis, I feel more settled because the choice has been narrowed for me.

My dad was diagnosed with Barrett's after the endoscopy prior to his RNY and our doctor informed him that this surgery (RNY) would cure the Barrett's. hope that is the case for you too.

Update from appointment this morning: the official diagnosis is pre-Barrett's and a hiatal hernia. My Dr. said that RNY will stop the progression to full blown Barrett's or worse. So RNY and a hernia repair is definitely in my future, possibly as soon as August.

@madisonmolly - who is your surgeon at UW? I'm seeing Campos. First consult was July 2nd. I was convinced I wanted the lapband, but after my EGD he told me that was no longer an option. I have a hiatal hernia. Sound really similar to how your experience is going. I start my classes on the 9th. How about you?

Hi Tilly,

Yes, Dr. Campos is my surgeon, too! I'm doing the one-day boot camp class this Friday. After that, I should be cleared for the RNY either in August or September. It's wonderful to see another UW patient on this board.

Molly