Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was Asked By Trainer How Much Protein

PaulB
Sign in to follow this  

Not my words but I have been reserching what I was told and so far I don't know what to Belive there are so many different opinions on what Protein does it will make your head swim.

Remember this was told to me by a gym rat muscle head who eats sleeps and breaths weight training and is a RNY success story 5 years ago he was 425 ibs to day he could kick Arnold Schwarzeneggers but the man has a BMI of 4 yes I said BMI 4.

So Belive what you want I'm still taking in 60-100g a day.

What have you read or been told ????

************************************************************************************************************************

The biggest protein myth is that you can only digest 30 grams of protein at one time. Find out what's wrong with this belief and just how much protein you need. This is a common question. I also get variations such as, how much protein can you digest at one time?

There are two ways to answer this, because there really two questions being asked.

How much protein can the digestive system physically absorb into the bloodstream from a meal?

THE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION...

How much protein can you body actually utilize?

The answers...

About 95% and higher, unless you have some type of digestive system malfunction.

So if you get convinced by supplement companies to drink a 42g Protein shake in 5 minutes, you'll still probably absorb at 38 or more grams of that protein.

Your muscle growth is not limited by the amount of protein you can DIGEST or ABSORB.

Your muscle growth IS LIMITED by the amount of protein that your body can utilize for protein synthesis.

So the answer to #2...

A lot less than you think.

You really don't need 40, or 30, or probably even 20g of protein per meal to keep your protein synthesis humming along. Any protein that your body can't use for growth will be shuttled into a process where it is broken down (de-aminated: meaning the nitrogen is removed from the molecule and it becomes a carbon skeleton) to be used in energy pathways.

Now, there are benefits for eating extra protein (in my opinion) when dieting, mainly that it helps to suppress appetite.

But the bottom line to the question I am asked almost everyday is...

A. Your body can digest and absorb almost all of the protein you eat without problem.

B. Your muscles can only do so much with protein...the muscle growth process is RARELY, if ever limited by the amount of protein we consume. Almost all of us can easily get enough protein for maximum muscle growth without the need for eating 50g of protein 6 times per day. Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, and Gunter Schlerkcamp excluded, of course.

Overall, I'd think twice about the need to slam down a 40-50g Protein Shake 3 times per day... Just think of the children and puppies you'll save by not gassing them out with protein farts.

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12