Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who to talk to?

When I call the insurance company next week and start "gently harassing them" (the surgery center's advice) to see if I have been approved, who should I talk to?

Here's what I would do and why.

Call the number on your card regarding customer service. Customer service will ask for all your numbers, blah blah blah, you act like you are calling in a pizza. Finally you say: "Okay, I'd like to check on the status of my authorization I was told it would be up to a week and it's been about a week." or "my surgeon's office is scheduling and I need to plan time off with work and secure a date" ( the average Joe can relate to this) ..there is just a sense of urgency in not waiting and in proceeding on.

If you are the type that gets nervous on the phone, write down what you will say like this:

If they say: "We don't have that information" You say... "Okay can you connect me with who does have that information?"

If they say: "We still don't have an answer" you say..." Okay can I speak to a supervisor please"

Customer service is the entry level. Remember, this is YOUR health insurance that you pay for. That person is only doing intake and if they don't have your answers their job is to find the correct department that does.

Keep a call log of who you spoke to and what time and what date. If they don't have anything for you and tell you to call back in a few days, call back in a few days and say

Yes I spoke to Margie on January 4th at 11 PM Eastern and she told me to call the center today to check on my authorization number.

Here's what I would do and why.

Call the number on your card regarding customer service. Customer service will ask for all your numbers, blah blah blah, you act like you are calling in a pizza. Finally you say: "Okay, I'd like to check on the status of my authorization I was told it would be up to a week and it's been about a week." or "my surgeon's office is scheduling and I need to plan time off with work and secure a date" ( the average Joe can relate to this) ..there is just a sense of urgency in not waiting and in proceeding on.

If you are the type that gets nervous on the phone, write down what you will say like this:

If they say: "We don't have that information" You say... "Okay can you connect me with who does have that information?"

If they say: "We still don't have an answer" you say..." Okay can I speak to a supervisor please"

Customer service is the entry level. Remember, this is YOUR health insurance that you pay for. That person is only doing intake and if they don't have your answers their job is to find the correct department that does.

Keep a call log of who you spoke to and what time and what date. If they don't have anything for you and tell you to call back in a few days, call back in a few days and say

Yes I spoke to Margie on January 4th at 11 PM Eastern and she told me to call the center today to check on my authorization number.

hi LapDancer~

thanks for the tips! you're a wealth of information to me today! keep up the good work lol!

have a good day

courtney

hi LapDancer~

thanks for the tips! you're a wealth of information to me today! keep up the good work lol!

have a good day

courtney

Hey Courtney! Post back if you have any questions or private message me. It's almost like my walk in life since 1995 has been to prepare me for this moment in dealing with my own insurance battle. (and I'm fighting for my life). So many people on here have the same fight too! Isn't that crazy? it's like there is an industry around the fat population that is making loads of money while we die and they just don't seem to want to lose that $ource. (yeah, that one was a little paranoid but makes me wonder sometimes)

Good luck and keep me posted.

I got the name of one customer service person and asked for her each time. That way I didn't have to re-explain everything everytime. She was great and began to check my status every morning so when I called she already had an answer for me. The morning my approval came in, she called me and was almost as excited as I was. It made it a bit more personal to talk to me each day and she actually started to care. I made sure everything was faxed to her attention and she made sure it got to the correct dept. and she kept me updated on all the info including the fact that they were reviewing the entire policy because of my appeals. She was great, and actually called and checked on me post-op and then called again when the payment check went out. oh, and I had an extention to get her directly so I didn't have to wait on hold forever.~Mandy