Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 1/2 Weeks Post Op - Feeling Lost

So I was was sleeved on Oct 2, and I'm now on the "soft foods" stage, have been for a week or more now. I'm having a hard time getting into a daily routine of what to eat, when to eat, etc. and getting in all my liquids still each day. I'm not sure how many grams of Protein I should get in each day at this stage, but I do have my 1 month post op appt with nurse & NUT on Tuesday. I would just like to know exactly what I can eat that's considered "soft" vs. the "Easy to chew" stage, which isn't for another month according to my binder of information I was given. They have a basic list of foods in there, but I need more variety. This weekend I've tried eating 2 tortilla chips with plain (non chunky) salsa on it, I chewed them really well and seemed to go down fine, I also ate a few cashews (I just couldn't resist, dang it!), they tasted SO good, and I again chewed them really well, and didn't seem to bother me. Did I do something terribly wrong??

Like I said, I just have been feeling so lost and want to be "normal" again (or whatever my new normal will eventually be). I know it's a process, but it's such a challenge, more then I think I imagined. I haven't lost my desire for things like others have talked about, and I just keep waiting(and hoping) for that day to come, but no such luck yet. I haven't been able to even attempt to have a Protein shake since surgery, because I was so sick of them on the pre-op.

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated!

I see we had the same surgeon and mt VSG was a week before yours!

If you review your binder, there are a lot of helpful suggestions in there. chips are not on the diet and could be a slippery slope - stay strong!

I'm in soft stage too - usually I do a scrambled egg with cheese for Breakfast, either tuna salad, or some other soft meat for lunch, and cottage cheese with something added like taco seasoning for dinner. Based on the NUT's suggestions I am having a Protein shake with milk for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack. Today I had salmon for lunch - delicious!

Good luck!

I would totally stay away fromt he chips and nuts at this point the reason being that your stomach is still healing and you could hurt it..... so follow your surgeons guidlines.....

I am only a few weeks ahead of you but during soft food stage I set up a routine . every Surgeon is differnt but most people on here early on try to get at least 60 protien in daily and 64 oz Water around 5-6 hundred calories.... I set my day up like this and whether i am hungry or not I take in the required items to fuel my body.

7 am Breakfast usually just a protien shake premier protien chocolate

8-1030 Water

11 am lunch usually egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, refried Beans

12-230 water

3 snack time, maybe some soft cheese or yogurt depend if I feel hungry

6 or 7 depending dinner, noodless lasagna , meatballs with sauce, canned stew , pretty much live on chili ....

water for the rest of the night unless I dont have enough protien then I take another protien shake or add some unflavored protien into a SF pudding. I consume around 600 caloriies and try to excerise at least 3 x a week ...

I am down 63 lbs and was sleeved on 9-6-12

Lisa, what is the amount you consume when eating something like chilli or tuna?

TakeCareGirl - that's so nice to "meet" someone else who had that same surgeon and only a week ahead of me! How has everything been going for you? What are you doing for exercise?

I know I was eating things I shouldn't, and I do need to stay strong, it was a moment of weakness (not making excuses). I know better then to eat stuff like that because I certainly don't want to do any damage. Like I said, I was/am just feeling a little lost in the process, but trying to push things along isn't going to help me any either.

I tried eating tuna salad and egg salad, but neither of them went down really well. I did have salmon the other night for dinner, and that was super delicious! I guess I just struggle with getting the routine down at work, etc.

Anyway, thank you for the advice, I will get my act together! :)

I am 8 weeks out tomorrow and used a lot if canned chicken, tuna and crab in the soft foods, still do. I used a tiny bit of light miracle whip and added some onion or garlic powder. I also had at least two Protein shakes a day using half milk and half Water. Scrambled eggs or egg substitutes also came in handy and easy to make. Sf pudding, Jello, Popsicles were a little treat in the evenings!! Also I would purée low sodium Soups, usually those with veggies and meat rather than with noodles or rice. I set a schedule and ate every 3 to four hours and drank Water or crystal light in between. I have to admit I still struggle with getting all my fluids I but it is getting better!! Progress over perfection!!