Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Diet Question

I just had my first appointment with my primary care physician today. I gave him what paperwork I had about requirements for the surgery, including the 6 month diet. All he said was to eat 3 meals a day, stay under 1600 calories, and document everything I eat to bring back to my next appointment. Is this going to be detailed enough to make some insurance approval person happy? I was totally expecting to hear him suggest an actual plan like Atkins, South Beach, etc.. Thanks for helping a newby out!

That was more specific than my PCP, lol. She was just like what are you doing? She recommended some changes like cutting some carbs, adding more veggies, and eating multiple times a day and recorded it in her notes. Also, starting talking about walking. I've been using myfitnesspal.com religiously though so if they need that for insurance approval I have that, but it has been a walk in the park for me. Only 1 month left!

Well, then that answers my question AND makes me feel better! That's so exciting having only 1 month left! I thought a 6 month thingy was going to be like 7 total appointments, because you have to have your last appointment be the follow up for the 6th month, but the paperwork that was emailed to me from the insurance lady only has 6 appointment slots on it to have the dr sign...so I'm slightly confused on that, but I have a scheduled call back on Tuesday from a case worker that is guiding me through it to answer more questions. I'm so super duper excited I could pee myself! lol

Yeah, my insurance UHC Choice Plus only requires 6 visits, but it is always good to check with the insurance company some require a 180 days exactly. And I can understand exactly how excited you are. I am bursting at the seems.

I have UHC, too! My work just switched over to it in June. Our plans must be pretty similar then. Good luck on your approval! Does yours go through a bariatric service through another company/party, too? I read somewhere else tonight that once you have done your 6 months, once you fax it it that it can be approved in 24-48 hours. Have you heard that?

Yes, mine also goes through the bariatric service. I have heard something similar, but my surgeon's office says it can take up to 10 days.

I am trying not to get my hopes up, but I talked to my case manager for the first time today. I explained I went through Aetna 2 years ago to apply and got denied twice. SHE asked when I went through my 3 month diet requirement because if it was in the last 2 years, she could probably get a manager to let me use those 3 months, plus the one I went to last week, and just one more to count for my 6 appointments! I was like WHOA! So, who know if that will actually work, as it will probably be next Monday before I find out anything, but that would be AWESOME!! I love United Health Care so much more than Aetna already!! :)

I went to my Dr and told him I was following weight watchers, I have lost 21 lbs in the 6 months so each month he just told me to keep doing what I am doing. We did talk about what exercises I was doing and how often. I was submitted to insurance yesterday - can't wait to hear!

So it obviously took weeks to happen, but my case worker finally called me Friday and told me that she got it overridden for me to not have to have any more appointments because she got it approved to have my 4 months from Aetna in 2009 plus my 2 I've had while getting this started this year add up to my 6 appointments needed!! This is SO freaking fantastic I cried as if I was already approved! lol (That saves me 4 more appointments this year.) :) I'll be scheduling my psych eval within the next few weeks (because I have to wait on them to call me to schedule), and I'll be visiting my dr's hospital seminar in two weeks in Topeka. She said it is mostly downhill from here. Is it possible that at this rate I could be sleeved by the end of this year??? This just is starting to seem too easy now, and THAT worries me. :/ Even though I've been trying to be approved since 2009, I don't really know what happens from here. Could anyone chime in and let me know what kind of possible time line I am looking at here? P.S. I hope MeMeMeee got her approval....If you read this, let me know MeMeMeee!! :)