Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc's pre-op diet

Hi everyone! I see a lot of questions on this site about pre-op diets. I thought I'd post the one I was given, just as a guide for those who aren't prescribed one, but think they might need or want one. Good luck to everyone. :)

PS- I am going into week 3 and losing my mind on it. Doesn't mean I don't think it works. Anyway, for what it's worth:

Pre-op liquid Diet

It is recommended by your surgeon and dietitian to follow a low calorie, low fat, low sugar and high Protein liquid diet for ___ days prior to undergoing bariatric surgery. The purpose of the liquid diet is to reduce the size of the liver, reduce the risk of bleeding during the surgery and to show commitment to the program. Below are the nutritional guidelines for the pre-op liquid diet. You will need to measure your intake and keep a food journal. Depending on which items you choose to consume throughout the day, your intake should be approximately 1000 calories and 60-80 grams of Protein. You will be expected to lose 5 lbs per week on this plan. The nutritional guidelines are as follows:

UNLIMITED SECTION: These liquids can be taken in any amount since they do not contain sugar.

1. sugar free or diet beverages such as Crystal Light (Great Value @ Walmart), sugar free Kool-Aid, Sugar Free Tang, Diet Snapple, FUZE, Powerade Zero, Diet V8 Splash, Propel, fruit 2 O, coffee, Tea and Water.

2. Low Sodium broth Soups (chicken, vegetable, beef- Tomato Soup is not a broth soup). It needs to be a clear liquid and can NOT contain bit and pieces of meats, tofu, noodles or vegetables. Each 8 oz serving shouldn?t be more than 140 mg of sodium. Bullion cubes are not acceptable as they are too high in sodium.

3. Sugar Free Jell-O and Sugar Free Popsicles

LIMITED SECTION: Please do NOT consume more than the maximum # of servings listed in each category for each day you are on the diet:

1. Juice: Limit intake to 2 cups or 16 oz per day. Fruit Juice(apple, orange, cranberry, grape, and grapefruit),Gatorade, G2, Vitamin Water, Life Water, Snapple, Powerade, Low Sodium V-8 juice and V-8 fusion ? limit intake to 2 cups or 16 oz per day.

2. Limit to 3 servings per day: ? cup of Regular Jell-O, Popsicles or NO ADDED SUGAR Fudgesicles.

3. Limit to 3 servings per day: 1 cup (8 oz) of milk (skim, 1%, Lactaid, Almond, or Soy), 6 oz of LIGHT or Greek Yogurt (no more than 110 calories and 12 grams of sugar/serving), ? cup of SUGAR FREE Jell-O pudding, ? cup of FAT FREE or LOW FAT Cottage cheese

4. Protein Shakes: Limit to 2 servings per day: The following are approved protein shakes: Muscle Milk LIGHT (costco, Target, GNC and major grocery chains), Pure Protein shakes (Trader Joe?s), Premier Protein shakes (Costco), NO ADDED SUGAR Carnation Instant Breakfast (Target), EAS 100% whey Protein (Walmart), Isopure (GNC or The Vitamin Shoppe), Zero Carb Isopure (GNC or The Vitamin Shoppe), Body Fortress Protein Shots (Walmart), Body Choice Liquid Protein Shots (Costco).

*** DO NOT BUY SLIM FAST, ENSURE OR BOOST ? these drinks are high in calories and sugars. If you chose a brand that?s not listed above please check the nutrition label first and make sure it meets the following criteria: less than or equal to 160 calories, less than or equal to 6 grams of fat, 15+ grams of protein and less than or equal to 6 grams of sugar.

***For those that are lactose intolerant please choose the following: Isopure, Zero Carb Isopure, Body Fortress Protein Shots or Body Choice Protein Shots.

***For those patients with diabetes, we recommend that you consume 15 grams of carbohydrates every 1-2 hrs. Be sure to monitor your blood sugars and contact your doctor if necessary. If your blood sugar is >150 mg, spread out your sugar sweetened liquids over a 3 hr period.

Good luck. It isn't easy. I added Fiber powder to my yogurt every morning to keep myself having regular bowel movements and it was a huge help. I think not having Fiber mentioned in this pre-op diet is a big oversight. If you can't find fiber suppliments easily in Jordan, just add some Beans or some other very high fiber food. Also, drink lots of Water and take a multi-Vitamin. Best of luck to you!

PS- do you have an english name you can post? Or can you write your name phonetically in the english alphabet so we can write back to you more personally? :)

Thanks!

Follow the instructions

This position

Translated and put in the net

Where the benefit of people

??????????

my name is a timeless days

days of old times

My gift to you

Many of the Roses Damascus