Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling out to Tiffykins..

Hi Tiffykins,

I am currently doing some research in the hopes of getting the VSG soon.

I was wondering if you could send me some of the links/research you have compiled. I have noticed you offering to others, so I thought I would ask.

I was originally thinking about DR Aceves, but my family is discouraging me from Mexico, so I am looking for other options too.

You were kind enough to answer my post yesterday about looking for Dr. and I appreciate it.

Any info would be great!

Thanks

Judy

jddutton1962@yahoo.com

I'm not Tiff, and don't have near the aresnal of info that she does, but I do have quite a bit of information about Dr. Aceves, and would be more than happy to talk with your family about my experiences there. My family and bf were so against it, but I trusted all the research I had done and went for it, well when I was there I had a difficult holding down fluids, something pretty simple really but they kept me an extra night and didn't charge me for it, and took EXCELLENT care of me. I'm a fan. Good luck with your decision.

The first links are other VSG patients that are further out.

Long-term Sleeve Experiences - 2 Years

on January 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Diligence-is-always-required

Stalls-Happen

Update-from-a-2-Year-Post-Op-VSGer

2-year-surgiversary-and-feeling

Two-and-one-half-years-post-op

TWO-YEARS-YALL

Just-Passed-My-2-Year-Surgiversary

questions-for-post-ops-2-years-out-or-more

2-years-out-food-amount-info

anyone-2-years-out

Happy-2-year-anniversary-to-me

2-years-post-op-TODAY

2-5-Years-After-a-VSG

Everday-life-at-2-5-years-out

2-1-2-year-update

Has-it-really-been-2-years

2-1-2-year-update

Two-Year-Surgiversary

2-year-update-portrait-of-a-heavyweight-a-bit-late

Two-year-surgiversary

2-and-1-2-years-later

2-years-since-my-surgery-any-advice-on-face-lift

2-year-post-op-pics

Two-Years-Before-amp-After-Pic

2-year-update-portrait-of-a-heavyweight-a-bit-late

Thought-you-might-enjoy-an-update-with-a-few-pics

Busybusymom-is-back-2-years-post-op

TWO-YEARS-BABY

Any-old-timers-still-lurking-the-boards

Long-term Sleeve Experiences - 3 Years

on June 8, 2009 10:43 pm

Three years out

Three and a half years after Vertical Gastrectomy My Story

A quick 2 year and 3 year VSG update

Third Year Surgiversay

Not always easy but always worth it

Very Discouraged 3 years out

Links for researching the VSG

on March 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Here are some links I've collected when I was researching the sleevehttp://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/Updated_Position_Statement_on_Sleeve_Gastrectomy.pdf. - includes reports of early studies

LapSF Educational presentation to FACS - includes some 2 year results

LapSF Two Year Study

LapSF Five Year Study - abstract only

LapSF Five Year Study - presentation (requires Windows to play)

Literature review on the sleeve - requires $$ to get the full text unfortunately (Totally worth the money)

Sleeve best for over 50 crowd

Video of a sleeve with lots of education discussion

Video of a sleeve that is more about the operation

Ghrelin levels after RnY and sleeve

Ghrelin levels after band and sleeve

Diabetes resolution in RnY vs. Sleeve

Comparison of band to sleeve - literature review

I used this website a lot. I paid for some of the full articles that grabbed my attention based on the abstracts. There are several articles that you can comb through that interest you. Once you read an abstract, on the right hand side of the page, there are other related articles listed that you may find interesting.

SpringerLink - All Content Items

SSAT - SSAT 2008 Annual Meeting Abstracts - Laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy for Morbid Obesity: a Report of a Five-Year Experience with 750 Patients</b>

Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG) In Morbid Obesity: Review

https://www.highbeam.com/reg/reg1.aspx?origurl=/doc/1G1-221717134.html&full=yes

This was recommended to me for post-op options for meals, and just a guide.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061242853?ie=UTF8&tag=mybiglife-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0061242853]Amazon.com: Before & After, Revised Edition: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery (9780061242854): Susan Maria Leach: Books[/ame]

This one is cool because it shows a significant decrease in ghrelin with VSG patients vs. RNY patients.

Weight loss, appetite suppression, and changes in ... [Ann Surg. 2008] - PubMed result

Abstract on diabetes/glucose/insulin regulation with VSG vs. RNY stating that at 3 months out with the patients studied, RNY and VSG had no marked difference in improved lab results with their glucose showing that rerouting is not always necessary for resolution of this particula co-morbidity.

Improvement in glucose metabolism after bariatric ... [Ann Surg. 2009] - PubMed result

Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: an innovative new tool in the battle against the obesity epidemic in Canada

Edit to add: If my insurance would not have come through with my revision, I would have traveled to Mexico, and my choice in surgeon was also Dr. Aceves as a revision surgeon. There are a lot of really great surgeons in Mexico and the U.S. it really all depends on your comfort level, and what you want and need from a program.

Edited by Tiffykins

Thanks Tiffy!

You are a godsend to us future sleevers!

I am now looking into Dr. Jossert in San Fransico for my sleeve. Have you heard anything of him?

Thanks,

Judy

Thanks Tiffy!

You are a godsend to us future sleevers!

I am now looking into Dr. Jossert in San Fransico for my sleeve. Have you heard anything of him?

Thanks,

Judy

He is one of the pioneers of the VSG as a stand alone procedure. He is actually on this forum to answer questions for us.

Here's the link to his section on the forum:

Ask Dr. Gregg Jossart - Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery (VSG) Forum

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/ask-dr-gregg-jossart/2356-vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy-information-dr-gregg-jossart.html

He's pretty awesome from the patients I've spoken to, but I have no personal experience with him.

Curvyjudy

I was sleeved by Dr. Aceves in March - about 7 weeks ago. I live in USA and was skeptical about even going on vacation to Mexico - seriously. I was scheduled for surgery here in the USA and started doing research. The surgeon I was scheduled with had done only "about" 26 of the sleeves. Dr. Aceves has done over 900 of them so I started thinking to myself - why not go with the most experienced? THen I thought: "you are crazy"! Mexico?!!

So I went back and forth and back and forth and finally my husband said - well you decide. I just couldn't get his experience out of my head. Really had nothing to do with money - it's my body so I would have paid triple to have it done right. Lots of people on this site talk about "how nice he and his staff are" - I could care less about "nice." Anyway, I went with him - first of all they drug you up alot LESS than in the U.S. hospitals which is much better for your respiratory system. Secondly, they keep you double the time in the hospital so they can monitor you. And third - I have had NO complications from the surgery. He's excellent. Give it some thought.

Sometimes I still can't believe I had it done in Mexico - but that hospital is totally clean and professional and I was nothing except impressed.

Tiff,

Thanks for all of those links! I actually found some info regarding bougie size from the SpringerLink, here is a quote from one article:

" There was no significant difference between use of 46-Fr, 40-Fr, and 36-Fr bougie with respect to weight loss, BMI or %EWL. Likewise, there was no difference seen between use of 7-cm versus 4-cm antral pouch."

So, i guess this will help in my answer regarding size!

you are an amazing helpful person!

thanks,

patti

I'm curious Curvyjudy, why you would want to fly across the United States? There are Bariatric Centers of excellence back East. I tell you, I would not want to fly for hours and hours only 3 days after having this procedure. It wipes you out. Granted you feel fine in a week or two, but that first week is hard.