Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting weight is lower, what should I expect?

Hi all! Everyone is doing amazing and I come for some comparison answers. I know were all different, but I'd like to hear from you! At consult my BMI was 41.3 now its 38.9. I weigh 211 as of today and am beginning the preop diet. Anyone with similar starting stats that can tell me how far out you are, what you've lost?

5'2

211lbs

1 hour ago, IvyAddison said:

Anyone with similar starting stats that can tell me how far out you are, what you've lost?

My BMI 38.9 Weight day of surgery 234 height 5' 5"

• Six months out 140
  • First year out lowest weight 125
  • Four years out I maintain in the 130's

We are the same height, but I started out heavier than you:

height: 5’2”

Starting BMI/weight: 42.98/235lbs

Surgery BMI/weight: 40.79/223lbs (Oct 24, 2018)

Curreny BMI: 33.84/185lbs (2 mnths post-op)

So, as of today, am 50 lbs down (38.2 since surgery)

On 12/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, ms.sleeve said:

We are the same height, but I started out heavier than you:

height: 5’2”

Starting BMI/weight: 42.98/235lbs

Surgery BMI/weight: 40.79/223lbs (Oct 24, 2018)

Curreny BMI: 33.84/185lbs (2 mnths post-op)

So, as of today, am 50 lbs down (38.2 since surgery)

What's your postop diet like?

At this stage in my post-op, my program wants me to eat 3 low-fat, high-protein, moderate-carb meals of (3/4 to 1 cup of food) plus three Snacks totalling 800-1000 calories every day, plus 2 litres of Water plus Vitamins. There is no way I am able to do this. There is just not enough hours in a day nor space in my stomach.

So I've sort of developed a way of eating that works for me, at least for now:

First, I record everything I eat or drink in MyFitnessPal app.

I was not a Breakfast person pre-op, and I couldn't make myself one post-op. Eating in the morning just didn't work for me...first, I wasn't hungry and second, I found that when I forced myself to eat breakfast, I wouldn't want to eat lunch until much later, which would in turn push dinner out even later, which messes with my "don't eat after 7 or 8pm" rule: I prefer to go to bed on an empty or near empty stomach because, once, soon after I was able to eat actual food, I ate something just before going to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night choking on some foul tasting bile (or throwup, maybe?) and the experience was awful enough that I will never do that again.

So, I end up trying to eat 2 "meals" plus one "snack" a day. My first meal is around 11-11:30. snack time is around 3 or 4 and dinner time is around 6 or 7. Each "meal" consists of maybe 4-5 bites which comes to maybe 1/2 cup at most. Half the time it's closer to 1/3 a cup. A "snack" is like 1-2 bites of something, likely leftovers of Meal #1. I stick to these amounts because the past has told me if I eat more than this, I will feel very uncomfortable and want to barf. To be honest, I am a little scared to try to test and see if I can eat more, because I really do not like that need-to-barf feeling. I figure I'm not hungry for more anyway, so I'm not gonna mess with these amounts.

I do ultra-low carb, high-protein, moderate-fat. I aim for 70g of Protein a day, but don't always make it. I average maybe 500-600 calories a day. (Though the last week I loosened up my carb-restriction a bit and it was more like 900 calories a day because I allowed myself some alcohol...we went on a vacation!...and this was evidenced in my weight loss progress, or lack of it).

And finally, I drink at least 2.5 to 3 litres of water a day. Water is my number one priority, before food and vitamins. Luckily I love drinking water so this is a no-brainer for me.

** Please note that this is what I found works for me, and I cannot say if it would work the same for a different person with a different experience! **

2 hours ago, IvyAddison said:

When did you move from liquids to soft and puree?

pureed stage was 2 weeks post op. Then Minced 1 week later, then Soft Foods a week after that.