Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Laser Hair Removel

I think its called Epilite... anyone had this done??? Im checking into it for facial hair but Im a wee bit nervous. Its a little expensive too.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about it

From what I've read, laser surgery for hair removal is supposed to be nearly painless, supposedly pt's don't feel much if anything at all. It only works well for fair skinned dark hair'd people, particularly those with coarse hair, and it could take up to 10 visits to permanently wipe out all hairs because of the different phases of growth in each hair follicle, meaning there may be some hair that hasn't surfaced when you get a treatment, that will pop up after. Pt's who qualify for it, should see marked improvement after each treatment. There's a doc in our area that does it for $150 a visit... take that times 10 visits, and it's costly, but I guess if you only go a couple of times a year until you're done it might be ok.

Pam, I agree (even with the fee's) with everything you said. I heard it was 4 to 5 visits at $150 a visit. Supposedly a permanent solution!

Do you know if it leaves a red mark where they lasered? Is THAT permanent as well?

I've been told that it doesn't leave any permanent discoloration. But I'm not experienced in that field, and don't know of anyone personally that has had it done. I'd think since it's a surface 'burn', it might possibly be sunburn like, temporarily, then heal. I'll try and find out more about this one.

It hurts like hell if you don't have the numbing jell on long enough. I generally need to have the jell on me for about 90 minutes before the treatment. After the jell has set for as long as you need, the tech comes in, puts special goggles on you. The laser zaps the hair and it feelis like an electrical shock, at least it feels this way for me. They say it smells like popcorn, but I say it smells like burned hair....

I am olive complected, and have very dark hair. The redness and tenderness lasts for about a day, and you definately want to avoid the sun for a few days afterwards. (a good sun block is a must everyday anyway...)

Because I have PCOS, I have a real problem with facial hair, I was turning into the bearded lady! YIKES! So far, I've had about 5 treatments, and most of the really course hairs are gone. I have just a few that are still stuborn. There are lots of fine hairs left, but they vary the intensity of the laser for the different type of hair.

I pay something like $125 a pop, but it keeps me out of the circus...

Pam,

funny you resurected this thread... a week ago I had my second treatment.

***this is very personal. I am sharing this only for experience and edcuational reasons****

My first visit was mid November and after the doc finished lasering, I had about 10 hairs that were actually zapped out of the folicle. 2 weeks later, I saw little improvement - nothing major. Almost as if the laser had stunned the growth for a while.

A month later, my chin area looked like it did before my first treatment. (sigh)

So, remembering that the doc had set me on the 'lightest energy level' (whatever that means) I decided to give it another try - with a higher energy level.

Which brings us to lastweeks visit... which was quite a bit different then the first.

First time the level of pain was about a 2... maybe 3.

This time it was more of a 6 or 7. That was the first difference.

When she finished, I had a multitude of hairs that were zapped out of the folicle. The area that was lasered was red, swollen and felt numb in spots and sore in other places (my husband even commented that I looked bruised). Here it is a week later and the redness and swelling has gone down (still a tad bit swollen), and still a little numb and sore in areas.

In another week, Ill see the full results of this treatment (it usually takes 2 weeks).

At this point, Im not eager to encourage someone in having this done.

My friend went to a major city and had her back hair's lasered. She is VERY satisfied with the outcome.

So, since I had an excessive amount of facial hair, Im not sue if my uncertainess is in the lack of experience in the facility I used (VERY new with this - started in October) - OR, if its the fact that I may need to have several treatments to notice a big difference...

Whatever it is, at $200 a treatment - Im dissapointed that I havent been MORE impressed. (thats alot of money for me!)

If anyone is interested about this, Ill keep you posted.

Crystal, (LOL) I had NO idea you had responded... I was writing this response for about 30 minutes - lots of interuptions!

I pay something like $125 a pop, but it keeps me out of the circus...

Now THATS funny, but Girl, Id be right there with ya!

I normally would be extremely private when it came to this kind of stuff, but, I too suffer from PCOS so, I know what you are saying. I have been plucking it out for at least 10 years. It grows back slowly, but, it seems there is a new one in a different place all the time on my chin. I would love to have permanent hair removal, but, I don't think I could take it growing out before I had it done. I might have to be the only non muslim who wore a burka lol

Hi everyone,

I too have pcos and lots of facial hair. I had my upper lip done last year. It took 4 treatments (1 month apart for each visit). It cost me $300 per treatment (seems like I paid too much after hearing from you all). Most importantly, It was extreamly painful for me! My lip was red and swollen for a week and I didn't have any kind of numbing gel! (I wish I knew about that numbing gel :-) I was going to have my chin done but changed my mind because of the pain. Mine was done my a dermatologist.

Well, that's my story.

my mom did it and she LOVES is. It took a few sessions but i called and asked and she said it has been permanant and all the red marks r gone. she said it was a little painfull but they will give u a numbing cream to help. and she did her bakini area. i think ur face should be a little less painfull since it doesnt rub when u walk! lol

phew, for last weeks treatment I had NO numbing gel. When she would 'laser' the left side of my under chin, It felt like plucking about 10 hairs out at once - even felt it in my toes. I had to make her stop about 3 different times to actually catch my breath.

Today is a full 1 week later, and I still feel a little sore and numbness in a few spots... hope it goes away! Still having to shave every morning.

You know, there's some kind of bonding agent that occurs when a man uses his razor during his morning ritual, then 20 minutes later his wife comes in and does the same thing :rolleyes (sorry, tooo much info here)

You all are so crazy!! LOL I've thought about doing this, but the expense scared me off. Now hearing about the pain and I guess I'll stick to waxing for awhile. Thanks for sharing! You've got me laughing so hard!