Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long from first consult to surgery?

I know this question gets asked all the time, but I'm asking it again, if that's OK! I have a first consult with a surgeon (Dr. Mayes at Virginia Hospital Center) scheduled for this week, and I'm wondering how long it took people to go from consult to surgery. My insurance company (Carefirst BCBS) requires a psych exam, two 3 month or one six-month structured diet (WW is fine), and a BMI of over 40. (I don't need a referral and my out-of-pocket is quite low.) I meet all these requirements, and according to BCBS, I do have the appropriate documentation. I know the surgeon will require a medical clearance and a meeting with the nutritionist as well, along with whatever other tests he thinks will be important/beneficial.

If you had similar requirements or were in a similar situation, would you mind sharing how long the process took? I appreciate any input. Thank you!

I had similar requirements for my BCBS insurance. I had to do the six-month supervised physician diet over, even though I'd been on Weight Watchers prior and had documentation. My first appointment with my physician was on May 6, 2013, and I had surgery on November 19, 2013. As soon as I had my 6th physician appointment on October 6, they submitted the request to insurance and it was approved very quickly. Best of luck to you!!

Mine is going to end up to be 22 weeks (mid Feb. to July 1). No supervised diet necessary for my insurance. Took 11 weeks to get all the cardiac, sleep study, psych evaluation, etc. then almost 11 weeks of waiting for the first available date my doctor had. It's almost here now though.

I had my first appointment with my surgeon on Feb 22. I have completed all my requirements and I am now waiting for my insurance clearance. Then we can set a surgery date. I had to do several things... Cardiac Clearance, Stress Test, Psych Eval, X-Ray, Nutricianist and an Endoscopy. All are done except some blood work before surgery. I am just on pins and needles waiting.

I'm with BCBS of IL , my insurance had the same requirements minus the supervised diet. I went for my consultation on May 6th. Completed my labs, psych eval, sleep study, nutrition class, and cardiac stress test in May and submitted for approval to my insurance on May 21st. Received my approval a week ago and just scheduled my surgery today for July 14th. So from my consultation to my scheduling was 5 weeks and 10 weeks from consultation to surgery date, due to the two week liquid diet prior to surgery as well as an EGD.

Everything happened so quickly and I'm so excited!

The entire process was relatively 20 1/2 weeks, but only 10 1/2 weeks from my first consultation:

February 13- started required 3 month supervised weight loss program

April 24-consultation

May7- psych eval, met with Nutritionist, lab work, swallowing study

May 22- finished month 3 of program and submitted all required documents to Surgeon's office

*this was a Thursday and Monday was a Holiday

May 27-insurance company requests something from Primary Care Physician stating I had not been treated for substance or alcohol abuse within the past year (one of the requirements)

June 3-Doctor's office finally has letter prepared and I faxed it in

June 4-Insurance Approval!!

Today(June 10)- waiting for the hospital to contact me bc they have to confirm that you dont have an outstanding balance, and they require you to pay a deposit. I spoke with the Bariatric Coordinator at my surgeon's office, and as of today the next available date for surgery is July7(they only perform the procedures on Mondays and Tuesdays, and you have to have time to do the pre op diet.

First appointment in February. Now waiting to go in to weigh in for#5. One more month! 6 months takes forever! I'm miserable and so ready to get to losing. It's hot. Nevada is over 100 degrees and the clothes I wear to cover my body is hot! Here's to next summer being a year out and in shorts and tanks!

Hello! My first consultation was April 17 2014 and I was sleeved on June 2nd. So it took about a month and a half. I had BCBS MI and once I had all my requirements in (stress test, psych eval, medical clearance) I was approved the next day. Longest part was getting appointments set up to fit in my schedule or it would of been quicker. Hope all goes well for you!

My insurance requires me to fill out a paper form with my doctor. That will take two or three weeks because of her schedule. Then from the date they receive that form, I have a six month diet plan. After that six month period is over, they will re-evaluate then send me for psych eval and other tests. This period will be between another month to six months. The average is two months. So I am looking at 7-8 months.

My first consultation appointment with my surgeon was May 14th, From there I was given a list of thing's to do that my insurance required for approval which included: Letter of medical necessity, Blood work, Gastro appointment (endoscopy), Phych Eval, Nutritionist, And some clarity MD online program that cost $25 to sit through. Luckily my insurance does not require me to have a 6 months medically supervised Diet...This Wednesday will be my last appointment which is for my Endoscopy, Then it's off to the insurance company hoping for approval, If approved I have to attend a 3hr class in August then My "Tentative" surgery date is September 8th.

Edited by HalloweenBaby24

My first surgical appointment was February 19. I have Cigna and my plan requires 4 monthly nutrition meetings, just had last one this Monday June 9. Had to see all of the "ologists"- cardiologist(nuclear stress test/ echo/consult), pulmonologist, psychologist, gastroenterologist and my PCP. Paperwork was slow to come in, and I had to goose some of them along, but my packet is ready and has just been submitted for approval. I'm seeing my surgeon again Thursday and plan to set a date in late July(my choice due to family comittments). All together about 5 months, and I'm really glad I've had this time to prepare and educate myself. Good luck!

Okay, so I have Tricare and Medicare part A and B. (I have 2 insurances) My question is... Do I call the place where I want to have the surgery and have them contact insurances and handle it or do I make appointment with my regular family doctor to get started? I've have high blood pressure and kidney disease, high cholesterol, sleep problems, fibromyalgia, thyroid disease and my knees, joints, back is hurting me. I'm 5'5 and weight around 235 lbs.

My doctor knows I've been depressed about my weight and no energy at all. Dr. said it's because of my thyroid disease, fibromyalgia and kidney disease.

So the medications from the Dr. isn't wo

working so I'm trying natural stuff and did research about Iodine for my thyroid disease. I bought a bottle and omg, in 2 days I could tell the difference in my energy and my family.

So now I made up my mind know I have energy that I want this weight off and live. Been heavy most of my life. I just need help getting this weight off.

Any information to help me where to start would be so great.

We are down to one truck due to my Acura's transmission just went out and I need to wait until next month to get it fixed that's why I haven't made any appointments yet. Help! Lol

Thank you!