Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Snacking not needed!

Is it just comfort or head hunger? Here's my new blog post on snacking and how to combat

ttp://www.debbieposton.com/snacking-not-required/

What do you think? How do you keep from snacking between meals?

sometimes it's really hard. i really work at making my 3 meals a day count. i don't use sliders for meal times. my one snack if i need one is a Protein drink or bar. but its very rare i need one. also my Protein grams are usually good with just the food i choose. some of the food you mentioned in your blog would go right through me. i would be hungry between meals. good luck you have the right attitude going for you

Best wishes, NewMeDebbie, I am, also, a snacker. I have never learned the self-control of not snacking. If you can, more power to you! Karen...aka..kll724

if i am truly hungry, i eat

i also drink alot.....to counter (am i or am i not hungry)

and a lot of people see someone else eat or they are bored and just eat....

that was me....so when i snack, it is Protein and good for me....so many options out there besides empty calories...(fresh fruits, Protein Bars, sf jello's, cubed cheese, pnut butter...i mean, eating is good)

but as always 3500 calories is a pound..ate or drank

we all must not eat more calories than we can take in to not gain

have a great day

Wow, Barbie nailed it -- frustration over other people having something and we are not having it, and so the soothing foods come out of the pantry.....this is going to be a great support group for you! I am trying for 4-5 hours between feedings and those need to be as high in Protein as possible. No difference really between a snack and a small meal -- and they are all small now -- so gotta make it count. Grazing cannot be part of my formula or I will do what I've always done -- starve myself all day and graze all evening. Sure can pack it on that way!

I really like that blog post. It was very helpful and I think I need to focus on the same. Thanks!

sometimes it's really hard. i really work at making my 3 meals a day count. i don't use sliders for meal times. my one snack if i need one is a Protein drink or bar. but its very rare i need one. also my Protein grams are usually good with just the food i choose. some of the food you mentioned in your blog would go right through me. i would be hungry between meals. good luck you have the right attitude going for you

Can you give me an idea of what you eat for an average day?

I really like that blog post. It was very helpful and I think I need to focus on the same. Thanks!

You're welcome. You and I are close in our journey so we should both start seeing some real weight loss in a couple more months!

Debbie, if you are still hungry between meals it could be like Terry said. Too many slider foods. oatmeal, Soup, runny tuna are all slider foods. That means they slide through the stoma with virtually no effect on the vagus nerve.

Foods like omelets, chicken, fish, meats, deli meats, brown rice, veggies, hamburger are harder for the esophagus to push through the band/stoma. The peristalsis contractions are higher which theoretically help us to feel satiety sooner and longer. Foods that slide through don't require the contractions as much so give less satiety.

Typical Breakfast for me:

Egg white omelette with turkey sausage, sprinkle of low fat cheese=250 calories.

Egg sandwich with slice of ham, slice of cheese on a skinny bread bun=325 calories

Lunch: Similar sandwich or skinny bagel with deli meat. Sometimes I'll have a thick progresso Soup if I'm short on time.

dinner, Salmon with a salad. Or hamburger patty with salad, or brown rice.

I still snack a little between meals but I keep it to apples, 1 oz of jerkey, half a skinny bagel with low fat cream cheese. I'm usually good after dinner. I make sure I get a lot of Protein so I seldom feel any cravings in the evening.

This is what works for me.

tmf

Debbie, if you are still hungry between meals it could be like Terry said. Too many slider foods. oatmeal, Soup, runny tuna are all slider foods. That means they slide through the stoma with virtually no effect on the vagus nerve.

Foods like omelets, chicken, fish, meats, deli meats, brown rice, veggies, hamburger are harder for the esophagus to push through the band/stoma. The peristalsis contractions are higher which theoretically help us to feel satiety sooner and longer. Foods that slide through don't require the contractions as much so give less satiety.

Typical Breakfast for me:

Egg white omelette with turkey sausage, sprinkle of low fat cheese=250 calories.

Egg sandwich with slice of ham, slice of cheese on a skinny bread bun=325 calories

Lunch: Similar sandwich or skinny bagel with deli meat. Sometimes I'll have a thick progresso soup if I'm short on time.

dinner, Salmon with a salad. Or hamburger patty with salad, or brown rice.

I still snack a little between meals but I keep it to apples, 1 oz of jerkey, half a skinny bagel with low fat cream cheese. I'm usually good after dinner. I make sure I get a lot of Protein so I seldom feel any cravings in the evening.

This is what works for me.

tmf

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try some of these. My problem is during the week when I work, I don't have time for the eggs but I am going to go back to making my omelets in advance and warming them up at work. This should help...

Also, keep in mind my Snacks are apples, cottage cheese and Protein Bars but I was told I still depend on them too much.

We should probably never be "snacking". We eat to fuel and keep our bodies healthy. If we are eating out of want, or craving we have to ask ourselves where that is coming from.

Many times when we want a snack it's something that is not good for us. It's not the apple or piece of cheese. It's the cookie, and the cake or the bag of chips that calls to us. We are not running for the grilled chicken and salad when we want a snack.

So what I try to do when I find myself looking for a nosh is to ask myself, why am I looking for it? Is it because it's been 4 or 5 hours since I have last eaten something? Have I had enough Water or I am mistaking that craving for dehydration?

Will a cup of coffee or tea fit the bill? Or like a new born who has the need to suckle...I have a need to chew, so maybe a piece of gum will do the trick.

If I am truly hungry, then why not turn to that grilled chicken or salad? It's kind of like what I tell my kids when they say there is nothing to eat in the house, and I list the things that are available. and they say but I don't want THAT!! I always say to them then you are not hungry!

If you were hungry you would eat anything that would help fill that emptiness in your tummy, if your tummy is not hungry then you are not truly hungry. Sometimes it's just boredom, or the need to chew, or dehydration or as in my case a way to deal with your emotional state.

I'm working on finding alternate ways to deal with my emotional states that don't include eating or snacking. I get up and take a walk, or I play some music, or try to find a quiet space and take a few deep breaths. Talk to a friend, text a friend, check my Bariatric pal :)

Most of the time the gum, a cup of tea or coffee works for me when I find that I am feeling snacky.

Sometimes I am truly hungry and I'm glad that I chose to eat the piece of chicken or salad and not the chocolate brownie or other goodies laying around the office. If I really have a craving for something like that I make it a Protein bar, but I always go through these little conversations with myself before I let anything cross my lips.

sure be glad to share, this is what i had yest....breakfast---2eggs over easy 1 whole wheat toast

lunch---1/2 of a turkey sandwich with lettuce, 1/2 slice of low fat cheese and tsp. lite mayo

dinner --4oz of chicken or fish...once a week i can have beef and believe me it's a steak of some kind, last night was steak night. cooked vegetable or salad sometimes i will bake those little red potatoes and have 2 or 3.

snack ---Protein drink...100cal 20grams of Protein in coffee and blended with ice. i use this if i am really hungry in the evening. it satisfies me completely until bedtime. once in awhile i will have a Protein Bar. made with chocolate and Peanut Butter. and that is a typical day for me. if i am hungry lets say between lunch and dinner i will make my salad and eat it. or have a banana. i don't like other fruits so only option. i try to think what will give me the best feeling of fullness at the least amount of calories with the most protein. i used to be afraid of carbs because i am diabetic but my surgeon convinced me that carbs are not bad. and he was right. my blood sugar is staying normal. it's the amount that makes blood sugars high. to your oatmeal add some chopped apple and nuts. protein and bulk. will satisfy longer.

for my salad i make my own dressing. a vinegar and mustard based Salad Dressing. i use a bottle that last me about 2 weeks. i will put in about 4-5 tbls. of olive oil. salt pepper and garlic. sometimes a bit of honey.

i don't use butter on my toas i let the egg yolk moisten the bread, but will use low fat mayo when there is a call for it. i cant eat deli meats unless there is mayo on it. i do use your cottage cheese for lunch at times. but i add chopped tomatoes and sometimes some leftover cod to it. more protein without adding a bunch of calories. and it's filling. good luck

Honestly...I am rarely interested in eating, let alone snacking....

I'm not going to say I feel "Full", like some people experience....because that is not what it is with me, don't get that feeling....

I simply do not feel hungry...therefore food does not interest me...my taste buds have definitely changed also...

If I snack, it is because I am curious what it tastes like...especially if everyone else is raving about it....

I have tested this theory and even though I'm not staying full for 4 hours, it really does work!! I don't need those Snacks if I put more Protein in my Breakfast and lunch. I go in for my 3rd fill on Thursday - I really hope this gets me closer to that FULL feeling for the 4 hours between meals.

I might actually be able to do this - I lost 2.4 lbs since Thursday!!

Update: Lost 2.4 lbs in 1 week

check out my blog post about the change http://www.debbieposton.com/better-protein-choices-no-sliders/

what are your thoughts??