Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't see myself thinner!

My daughter took me shopping yesterday at a regular store....no over weight expensive clothes...The problem is that the clothes I bought fit me to a T...when I looked in the mirror all I saw was a really fat woman squeezing into small clothes....

My family said they were fitting and that I should wear them on vacation next week....I am so depressed because I think they look to tight and everyone else feels they are right.....The mind is a terrible thing to fix!!!!

I will bring them with me but I am so used to covering up myself and hiding, that this is going to be very hard for me to change..... :(

I worry about this happening to me as I have never been thin before :/

But, it's probably all in your head. I doubt your family would steer you wrong :)

I bet you look amazing in your new clothes :)

I worry about this happening to me as I have never been thin before :/

But, it's probably all in your head. I doubt your family would steer you wrong :)

I bet you look amazing in your new clothes :)

I know it is me.....just very strange..and scary as well!

Strange isn't it? I've lost 100# from my highest weight, and today for the FIRST time I glanced at myself in the mirror and thought, 'oh, yes you have lost some weight'.

Just strange. And I bet you look great!!!

Strange isn't it? I've lost 100# from my highest weight, and today for the FIRST time I glanced at myself in the mirror and thought, 'oh, yes you have lost some weight'.

Just strange. And I bet you look great!!!

We are still abusing ourselves...Do you think we will ever get it together? I really wonder sometimes!!!!

I still find myself going to the bigger sizes to try stuff on. Then I get upset and depressed because none of it fits. After that I try something on that is actually my size and I feel like I'm squeezing myself into clothes that don't fit and then again I get depressed and upset. I hope these feelings get better.

I'm sure you look amazing! What you are describing sounds like body dysmorphia. I have been this way since my early 20s when I was bulimic. I weighed 125 lbs and would refuse to leave the house because I thought I was too fat. It's amazing how our mind sees what it wants to see. I'm still fighting this every day but I REFUSE to stop myself from enjoying being the weight I'm at now. It's like I have a little good and dark angel on each shoulder and one is telling me I look great and the other is telling me that I look awful. I determined not to let negative nancy win this time!

Will we ever get it together? Will we ever be normal?

I am unsure if anyone is normal. I reckon everyone has a 'cross to bear' of some kind or another. On this board it is fat, and what fat has done with our minds. We all have honest work to go to get our heads in order.

Let's play a mind game. Can you buy a large package of Oreos, eat two, put the rest in the cupboard, leave them there till they get stale WITHOUT EATING EVEN ONE MORE, and throw them out?

I figure that would be a good test (that I am not yet ready for).

You ladies look fantastic! My surgery is Nov 22. Of course, I do not know what I'll be feeling when I look as pretty as you! I hope I will love the smaller sizes. We shall see.

I still find myself going to the bigger sizes to try stuff on. Then I get upset and depressed because none of it fits. After that I try something on that is actually my size and I feel like I'm squeezing myself into clothes that don't fit and then again I get depressed and upset. I hope these feelings get better.

Exactly how it is going for me right now....After I tried on the clothes for my hubby I told him you know I am still so fat....I just can't wear these clothes..And he looked at me like I had 2 heads...He said dam it girl you should be so proud of yourself...Then I looked at him like he had 2 heads!

Will we ever get it together? Will we ever be normal?

I am unsure if anyone is normal. I reckon everyone has a 'cross to bear' of some kind or another. On this board it is fat, and what fat has done with our minds. We all have honest work to go to get our heads in order.

Let's play a mind game. Can you buy a large package of Oreos, eat two, put the rest in the cupboard, leave them there till they get stale WITHOUT EATING EVEN ONE MORE, and throw them out?

I figure that would be a good test (that I am not yet ready for).

Since my surgery..I throw cakes, and Cookies away all the time now...I have said before my hubby is a walking stick in size and if he does not have sweets or eat constantly...He loses weight...I am always stunned as the cake hits the garbage can with a thud....I know for a fact that it would have never ever happened before my surgery...that's for sure!!

I'm sure you look amazing! What you are describing sounds like body dysmorphia. I have been this way since my early 20s when I was bulimic. I weighed 125 lbs and would refuse to leave the house because I thought I was too fat. It's amazing how our mind sees what it wants to see. I'm still fighting this every day but I REFUSE to stop myself from enjoying being the weight I'm at now. It's like I have a little good and dark angel on each shoulder and one is telling me I look great and the other is telling me that I look awful. I determined not to let negative nancy win this time!

Negative Nancy...cute....I was always the one that everyone counted on to be bigger then themselves and they made sure I knew it.....I feel like I am betraying my sister who has always depended on me being heavier then her...In one sense I want her to faint and on the other I feel like I should warn her of the pending view she will experience next year......Weird eh!!!!

You ladies look fantastic! My surgery is Nov 22. Of course, I do not know what I'll be feeling when I look as pretty as you! I hope I will love the smaller sizes. We shall see.

TY your sweet to say that..I feel so old now and unattractive...These are the devils I am still working on in my head!!!

My daughter took me shopping yesterday at a regular store....no over weight expensive clothes...The problem is that the clothes I bought fit me to a T...when I looked in the mirror all I saw was a really fat woman squeezing into small clothes....

My family said they were fitting and that I should wear them on vacation next week....I am so depressed because I think they look to tight and everyone else feels they are right.....The mind is a terrible thing to fix!!!!

I will bring them with me but I am so used to covering up myself and hiding' date=' that this is going to be very hard for me to change..... :([/quote']

I have a distorted self perception as well. I go to the My Body Gallery website. I put in my old weight and look at other women my size and then put in my current weight. It gives me objective feedback as to what others see when they look at me vs. my "I'm still so fat" that is in my head. I have found that oversized clothes make me look bigger but that fit/cut is important. A lot of clothes in my size are not flattering e.g. skinny jeans should be outlawed, but when I find stuff that works, I feel good in what I'm wearing. And when all else fails, out come the Spanx.< /p>

I have a distorted self perception as well. I go to the My Body Gallery website. I put in my old weight and look at other women my size and then put in my current weight. It gives me objective feedback as to what others see when they look at me vs. my "I'm still so fat" that is in my head. I have found that oversized clothes make me look bigger but that fit/cut is important. A lot of clothes in my size are not flattering e.g. skinny jeans should be outlawed, but when I find stuff that works, I feel good in what I'm wearing. And when all else fails, out come the Spanx.< /p>

I have to wear skinny jeans..I have no butt and tiny legs..The rest just hang on me or fall off! :mellow: