Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hey people!

I recently started powerlifting. I had my first completion a few weeks ago, and since then I’ve decided to do a weight cut using an RP strength template. Problem is, it’s SO much food. I’m over 5 years out and figured I’d be ok. But when I measure based on macros, my goodness!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can be successful with this as a WLS patient...without having to pay more money to RP and speak with a registered dietician?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, qnz234 said:

Hey people!

I recently started powerlifting. I had my first completion a few weeks ago, and since then I’ve decided to do a weight cut using an RP strength template. Problem is, it’s SO much food. I’m over 5 years out and figured I’d be ok. But when I measure based on macros, my goodness!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can be successful with this as a WLS patient...without having to pay more money to RP and speak with a registered dietician?!

Congrats on all your work. Are you powerlifting competitively?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank you. Yes, I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it! Would love to see competition photos.

If you are doing this competitively you may want to invest the money. Bariatrics makes things interesting for food to fuel fitness goals. i am not a powerlifter or at any level of competing. I know of a few power lifters on this site. I hope they respond.

Edited by Healthy_life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ran into issues with getting the required amount of Protein to build muscle. I rely on supplements such as Protein Powder, PB2, etc. added to foods for added protein and calories. Look into nuts as well. Also all drink 2 Protein Shake per day to get it in.

Is not easy with the sleeve... That's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Healthy_life - I've been messing around with this for about 6-8 months. I Olympic lift to support my fencing (headed to a national competition tomorrow). I found a sports RD who has worked with WLS patients. The key for me as not been so much the Protein but increasing the carbs. I generally average in my diet about 110g protein a day. I have been trying to get 115g carbs in as well.

I eat about 1500 calories a day. My training schedule looks like this

M: fencing 2.5 hours

T: Crossfit/Olympic Lifting 1 hour

W: repeat Monday

Thursday - Repeat Tuesday

Friday - Reformer based Pilates 1 hour

Saturday - repeat Tuesday

Sunday - if not competing for 3-4 hours, agility, arms, core and lifting

When I fence, I burn about 1100 calories, but my resting metabolic rate is really slow. (As in 1100 to maintain weight if I do not exercise). My average day foodwise - looks like this:

B- Protein Shake with handful of frozen fruit made with Fairlife Skim Milk 37g P 15g carbs

snack - Skyr Icelandic Provisions yogurt with 2-3 tablespoons of granola 15 g P 10g carbs

lunch - Pesto chicken salad (4 ounces chicken plus 1 tablespoon pesto) 20gP Slice of Rye bread 15g Carbs

Snack - Kind bar with protein - 12gP 22g Carbs

dinner - Protein 4-5 ounces, 1/2 a baked potato or rice, salad

Snack - popcorn sometimes or some other light carb to finish my carbs

I have to work at it. Yes, its' a lot of food. Often, if I get lazy, I throw a scoop of Ucann Superstarch into my shakes - that's good for 20g carbs. Often I'll add a shake during the day. I try to have a snack within 30 minutes of completing a workout that contains protein and carbs - often a Kind bar with protein or other energy bar that is higher than carbs.

The issue for me as been increasing muscle and killing the fat. Your body needs the carbs. I suggest you try to find a sports RD in your area to work with. It was the best money I've spent other than my personal trainers/coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 5:48 PM, Healthy_life said:

Love it! Would love to see competition photos.

If you are doing this competitively you may want to invest the money. Bariatrics makes things interesting for food to fuel fitness goals. i am not a powerlifter or at any level of competing. I know of a few power lifters on this site. I hope they respond.

i'm so sorry for the super late reply! i have my notifications turned off. but thank you for the comment. my instagram name is seejennsgainz. tons of photos and videos there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2018 at 9:11 AM, Diana_in_Philly said:

@Healthy_life - I've been messing around with this for about 6-8 months. I Olympic lift to support my fencing (headed to a national competition tomorrow). I found a sports RD who has worked with WLS patients. The key for me as not been so much the Protein but increasing the carbs. I generally average in my diet about 110g Protein a day. I have been trying to get 115g carbs in as well.

I eat about 1500 calories a day. My training schedule looks like this

M: fencing 2.5 hours

T: Crossfit/Olympic Lifting 1 hour

W: repeat Monday

Thursday - Repeat Tuesday

Friday - Reformer based Pilates 1 hour

Saturday - repeat Tuesday

Sunday - if not competing for 3-4 hours, agility, arms, core and lifting

When I fence, I burn about 1100 calories, but my resting metabolic rate is really slow. (As in 1100 to maintain weight if I do not exercise). My average day foodwise - looks like this:

B- Protein Shake with handful of frozen fruit made with Fairlife Skim Milk 37g P 15g carbs

snack - Skyr Icelandic Provisions yogurt with 2-3 tablespoons of granola 15 g P 10g carbs

lunch - Pesto chicken salad (4 ounces chicken plus 1 tablespoon pesto) 20gP Slice of Rye bread 15g Carbs

snack - Kind bar with protein - 12gP 22g Carbs

dinner - Protein 4-5 ounces, 1/2 a baked potato or rice, salad

Snack - popcorn sometimes or some other light carb to finish my carbs

I have to work at it. Yes, its' a lot of food. Often, if I get lazy, I throw a scoop of Ucann Superstarch into my shakes - that's good for 20g carbs. Often I'll add a shake during the day. I try to have a snack within 30 minutes of completing a workout that contains protein and carbs - often a Kind bar with protein or other energy bar that is higher than carbs.

The issue for me as been increasing muscle and killing the fat. Your body needs the carbs. I suggest you try to find a sports RD in your area to work with. It was the best money I've spent other than my personal trainers/coaches.

i suppose i will have to look into it. i really dont want to spend anymore money. coaching and gym memberships cost enough! lol i apologize for the late reply. i had my notifications turned off. thank you for your comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 8:30 PM, BlueCrush said:

I've ran into issues with getting the required amount of Protein to build muscle. I rely on supplements such as Protein Powder, PB2, etc. added to foods for added Protein and calories. Look into nuts as well. Also all drink 2 Protein Shake per day to get it in.

Is not easy with the sleeve... That's for sure.

i suppose i will have to supplement as well. it's just so hard because i can hear my surgeon saying "dont drink your calories". Then again, that was when i wasnt a competitive powerlifter. im sorry for the delayed response. i had my notifications turned off. thank you for your comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 12:30 PM, qnz234 said:

i suppose i will have to look into it. i really dont want to spend anymore money. coaching and gym memberships cost enough! lol i apologize for the late reply. i had my notifications turned off. thank you for your comment.

Check with your insurance - my insurance covered the RD visits as she was in network - it was just an office visit co pay. Well worth the $40 in my book. I saw here about 4 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, Diana_in_Philly said:

Check with your insurance - my insurance covered the RD visits as she was in network - it was just an office visit co pay. Well worth the $40 in my book. I saw here about 4 times.

i will do that. thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×