Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something I have been thinking about lately is how I will be treated once I lose my weight.

In 8th grade I was a size 20, I graduate high school a size 22. Before surgery (almost 10 years later) I was a size 24. I am now almost an 18. My doctor expects me to get down to 180 by Labor Day.

I guess I've kinda hidden behind the fat at times. I am a very outgoing person, but to have someone say whistle at me I think "smartazz" instead of taking it as a compliment. I just hope I am not one screwed up skinny person when all this is done. LOL

You will always remember and be amazed that the very same people who pay attention and talk to you once you lose weight are the people who would have looked through you as if you were invisible when you were at your heaviest.

It will never cease to amaze you...and it will leave you feeling a little sad that the world is really like that...but it is.

Try not to take it personaly and realize that people are just victims of stupidity and ignorance of weight as a disease and of the human suffering that goes along with weight disease. Try to just let it go.

Good luck as you uncover the layers of reality.

I know exactly how you feel, I lost over 120 lbs, but because of all of the compliments, particularly from men, I totally freaked out. I had all of the fill removed from my band and proceeded to regain each and every pound and then some in less than a year!!! I couldn't shove the garbage into my face fast enough. I was obsessed and ate myself back into oblivion. Not to bright. Instead of confronting my issues, I reverted back to just covering them up with food. Stupid me, I still had to confront the issue and finally did. By then it was too late about gaining weight back, so I had to start all over again. Thank God I have the band, because I went back in early August and had a great fill done. I have steadily lost weight since then am proud to say continue to lose almost on a daily basis. Sure I do slip from time to time, but I just restart right after I fall.

I cannont tell you how much freedom I am feeling from this weight loss. Unlike before, I am paying close attention to each and every benefit I receive from the weight loss. I am actually looking forward to getting my weight down, which is something I never really did before. I am no longer afraid to feel sexy and attractive to the opposite sex. That's a very big deal to me.

I wish you well, please if you need to get counseling, do so. You have worked so hard for so long to keep yourself hidden, it's time to shine, you so deserve it.

Cindy

I have often wondered the same thing. I have never in my teenage/adult life been a "normal" size. I was a size 24 in the 8th grade, and then a 22 when I graduated, and a 20 in college.

I eventually worked my way up to a size 30, and am now stuck between a 26 and 28.

I often times wonder how my life would change should I even get back down to even a size 20 again. (I have huge bones and am mid height, so I look hot at a size 20 and 200 pounds!)

I have already promised myself that I refuse to "sell myself out" or sell myself short by befriending those post weight, who don't seem to find me "fit" enough to be their friend now. I say Poo Poo to them and I don't want any shallow/lame friends anyway! The ones that I have now love me for who and what I am, and those are the ones that I'll stick with afterwards too, thank you very much!

I wish you all of the luck in the world. This race/game can sometimes feel so cruel, and we all really need each other to make our ways through it to the end!

I was of normal size about 8 years of my life...but I didn't know I was of "normal size" I thought I was fat. I am 5'10" and weighed 150 lbs. I thought that was to fat....sigh.

I remember walking out of work one day with this girl and some guy drove buy and smiled, looked her up and down like crazy. I said WHOAH did that guy just check you out. She said don't be funny, he was looking at you. I was like yeah, right! I could not accept the fact that some one smiled at ME! I felt like I was 300 lbs at 150 lbs.

This time, when I'm at a "normal" weight, I'm gonna smile back instead of looking away :)

I have already promised myself that I refuse to "sell myself out" or sell myself short by befriending those post weight, who don't seem to find me "fit" enough to be their friend now. I say Poo Poo to them and I don't want any shallow/lame friends anyway! The ones that I have now love me for who and what I am, and those are the ones that I'll stick with afterwards too, thank you very much!

thanks for posting this Kelly, it has really got me thinking about things.

I did not want to date my husband. I didn't want to go out with him, and I sure as hell didn't want to fall in love with some guy that weighed more than 400 pounds. No way in hell. I'm shallow, or at least I was shallow.

I will not be the same person after I lose all this extra weight. I am not the same person I was last December or March before I was banded. If I am not the same person or will be be the same person, how can I expect other people to be the same? How can I expect them to not change in some way?

If I view myself differently, which I will, the how can I expect others to not view me differently as well?

MsButtercup, I think everyone is screwed up, just in different ways. So, yes, in all likelyhood, if you are a screwed up fat person, you will be a screwed up skinny person too :)

I think it is vital to figure out how to act/react to the opposite sex once we lose our extra weight. I know that the last time I lost a significant amount of weight that suddenly I was the center of attention of all the young men at work. And yup, I freaked out. But I have realized that I use my weight and size as shield and armor. It is hard to face the world naked.

I just hope I am not one screwed up skinny person when all this is done. LOL

AAAAAaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is sooooooo freakin funny! I love it! May I use it sometime? Its just too funny.

i'm actualy pretty worried that my weight loss may be the end of my current boyfriend and I..........don't get me wrong - I have no idea, but I think it will give me more self-assurance and confidence to face something I've been lying to myself about. I love my boyfriend - no doubt - but I often wonder if I'm only settling with him because I'm fat. its' terrible - he's not the best boyfriend but certainly not the worst - he's just ok most days and then there are other days where he amazes me and I can't imagine being without him - so I'm confused about it - and I wonder if the weight loss is going to affect it. he's been mostly supportive of my surgery, but has made a few uncalled for comments. this is one fear I don't want to face - I'm no good with cutting ties and saying goodbye to people forever - especially when you wanted to marry the man, but would I only be settling? it makes my head hurt