Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is a 4cc band outdated??

I have been reading through many of the posts about fills and I have noticed many times people mention that the 4cc band is not used much anymore and has been replaced by a 10 cc or 14 cc band. I was just banded February 13 of this year and my Dr. gave me a 4cc band "based on the size of my stomach". Did he give me an outdated band? What would be the reason the 4cc band is not used much anyomore if this is true?

From what I was told by my surgeons P.A......the 4cc band is older and most surgeons want the new and improved....just like with everything else in life. I'm sure the 4cc band is still very capable of doing it's job....and wouldn't worry in the least.

I have been reading through many of the posts about fills and I have noticed many times people mention that the 4cc band is not used much anymore and has been replaced by a 10 cc or 14 cc band. I was just banded February 13 of this year and my Dr. gave me a 4cc band "based on the size of my stomach". Did he give me an outdated band? What would be the reason the 4cc band is not used much anyomore if this is true?

allergan does have new "advanced performance" bands, the AP small (10ccs) and the AP large (14 ccs). they are newer and have several differences from previous versions of the company's adjustable gastric bands. (fyi: lap-band is allergan's brand name.)

my understanding is that allergan still sells its previous models. i wouldn't exactly call the AP's predecessors outdated, they're just previous iterations of the band and they work great for lots of people on this board.

for more specifics on the AP vs previous lap-band models... take a look at this: The LAP-BAND AP? System: The Platform Advances | Bariatric Times

hope that helps.

Edited by hungry4help

My surgeon also used the 4cc band. This was in September of 2006, but at the time there were larger bands available.

He based his decision to use the smaller band on my physiology. Sounds like your surgeon did the same.

Jennifer:

My band doctor gave me a 4 cc band last July. However, in support group they told everyone that they used to give most women 4 cc's and the men the larger band. However, they had three bands that were too tight on women that they had to reoperate and change to the bigger band. Since then they've only done the larger bands on everyone regardless of their size or sex. They said it is harder to manage the fills because it takes more finesse to find the sweet spot, however it's better than finding out a day after surgery that someone's band is too tight before it's even filled.

Good luck.

Sue

Jennifer:

My band doctor gave me a 4 cc band last July. However, in support group they told everyone that they used to give most women 4 cc's and the men the larger band. However, they had three bands that were too tight on women that they had to reoperate and change to the bigger band. Since then they've only done the larger bands on everyone regardless of their size or sex. They said it is harder to manage the fills because it takes more finesse to find the sweet spot, however it's better than finding out a day after surgery that someone's band is too tight before it's even filled.

Good luck.

Sue

Sue, if I remember correctly you were banded by the Glasgows? I am currently undergoing all the pre-op stuff with them. I was wondering what type of band they would be using on me. Do you know if it is the 10cc or the 14cc?? Thanks for all the help, sorry to jump in on this thread lol.

Hi Allison:

The Glasgows said they only use the bigger inamed bands now. So, sounds like you'll be getting the bigger band. They're great doctors, don't worry. They'll take good care of you. Dr. Adam Glasgow (probably Dr. Arthur will assist, like with lapband they assist each other) is taking out my gallbladder next Thursday. I don't have a worry knowing they're taking care of me.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Take care.

Sue

I also got the 4cc band in October 07'..my Dr said it was a new low pressure something or other ( i was not very coherent this morning) .anyhow her remark was this band has been giving her issues at fill time..she said getting the "right" amount is harder because so little goes so far.. I had an unfill today with it...

My 4cc band has and still does work well for me! And I've got 3cc in it and am not tight. I cannot imagine with the larger band how I would have found restriction. I've just been VERY lucky that I was able to work with what I had because I have never been anywhere near a sweet spot the way others describe it.

My doc did say I had a fairly small stomach, which is why he chose that band. I dunno, it seemed to hold plenty, lol.

The new "AP" bands were avaiable July of 07. However up until end of 2007 mostly only the certified training surgeons were using them. I wouldn't make too muhc out of the new size. The big reason why the new ones require more liquid is becuase the "AP" band's balloon goes all the way around the stomach all 360 degrees. Where as previous bands only went around 270-310 degrees around leaving a flat spot where the buckle was.

Here was a nice post on OH about the benefits of the new band though:

They are either APS (small, 10cc) or APL (large, 14cc).

They are considered by some to be "the next generation in AGBs".

They are considered less likely to cause blockage or obstruction than other AGP types.

They are considered less likely to slip than other AGP types.

They are considered to be less likely to cause band erosion than other AGP types.

Like the VG band it is "Omniform" technology - i.e. the balloon has ribs or baffles and the band itself is curved.

The AP has more of a 360 inflation around the stomach as opposed to the 10cm or 9.75cm (4cc) bands, which have more like 260 or 280 degrees inflation (the rest being the buckle), and the VG which has more like 280 or 300. It is understood that this was simply an upgrade to the existing band to make it easier and less traumatic to remove.

The silicone material is much softer than other AGP types.

They are more concentric (rounded) when inflated than other AGB types.

The balloon is pleated to 'grip' the stomach better.

The balloon goes all the way around the inner surface of the band, rather than missing a piece at the locking mechanism.

The balloon is wider. A sideview of the band shows the balloon protruding top & bottom rather than sitting flush.

They have an easier release mechanism to remove the band if need be.

They have the locking mechanism isolated from the stomach.

AP type bands have been FDA approved for the US, but will not be available until the summer at the earliest.

We understand that there are NO plans at this time to discontinue any of the bands Allergan already makes. They still plan to manufacture and offer the 10cm and the 9.75cm (the 4cc) bands as well as the VG band.

Edited by snuffy65