Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coming up on 5 year anniversary and slowing starting to gain

I’m coming up on my 5 year anniversary for my Gastric sleeve in January. I had lost a total of 90lbs and could never weigh less then 164lbs no matter how hard I tried. The last two years I have gained 20lbs and then immediately lost it. But this year I seem to keep gaining about 30lbs and no matter what I am doing I can’t lose it. I know I am probably psyching myself out and maybe self-sabotaging. I’m determined to lose this extra weight before it gets any worse but nothing I seem to be doing is working. I’ve reached out to my doctors and they tell me I’m fine and not to worry but I’m freaking out. I’ve have a close family member who had the gastric bypass and when they hit their 5 year anniversary they gained everything back and then some. I don’t want that to happen to me! Anyone have any tips how to help with this problem?

Are you traking your food? Are you exercising?

Is this truly a matter of "anything I do," or a matter of you know what to do and needing the willpower to do it?

Edited by BlueCrush

I’m coming up on my 5 year anniversary for my Gastric sleeve in January. I had lost a total of 90lbs and could never weigh less then 164lbs no matter how hard I tried. The last two years I have gained 20lbs and then immediately lost it. But this year I seem to keep gaining about 30lbs and no matter what I am doing I can’t lose it. I know I am probably psyching myself out and maybe self-sabotaging. I’m determined to lose this extra weight before it gets any worse but nothing I seem to be doing is working. I’ve reached out to my doctors and they tell me I’m fine and not to worry but I’m freaking out. I’ve have a close family member who had the gastric bypass and when they hit their 5 year anniversary they gained everything back and then some. I don’t want that to happen to me! Anyone have any tips how to help with this problem?
I'd start by:
- Tracking everything you eat and drink, set yourself a daily calorie & macro limit. Make sure you're not accidently eating drinking too much
- Look at incorporating Keto and/or intermittent fasting.
- Start / increase exercise
- Possibly do some cognative behavioural therapy around eating behaviours and thoughts.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

It's really THIS topic that most newbies don't realize is going to be the issue. Losing is easy. The surgery does a lot of the work. BUT...several years out is when the work needs to be done by you and your choices.

Yes this is a lifelong thing. For me, I chose an eating style that was very easy to follow, lost all of my regain and committed to staying the course. The weight doesn't just automatically stay off. And yes, the further out your are the more likely you are to struggle.

If you've fallen off track the best thing is to just see the doc, see the Nut, attend a support group, etc. This helps get you back on track. And start logging food, Water, movement, etc. You got this!

I’m 8 1/2 years out and I’ve gained and lost about 20-25 lbs every two years or so. It DOES take will power and realizing we are losing like NORMAL peeps now. Keep it in check before it snowballs. I’ve always lost FAST. Not so much now and only thing that works for me is low carb/Keto. In process of losing that same regain now and have lost about 12 pounds doing Keto/low carb and not eating after 8pm til about 11am. Easy because I am a meat eater. You CAN do it. Just focus on NO GRAZING, snacking and basics!

Im hitting 5 years this may and I've also gained about 30 lbs back from my lowest weight this year I'm determined to loose it by starting a Keto diet and start tracking my meals with MYFITNESSPAL app

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app