Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, in response to one of my posts inquiring about VSG, someone sent me a message and said this surg is like selling your soul to the devil. They stated they are sick to their stomach at least twice a day and that their life has changed and peace of mind is no longer. Do any of you feel this way? Honestly? It was a disturbing message to receive...but I appreciate the honesty.

That's why they give mental evaluations. They must have slipped through the cracks. Don't let that bother you. Go get healthy

Since the message is now public, I hope that poster doesn't mind my response.

From what I have read on this website and other places, isn't vomiting due to overeating or eating foods that your body can no longer tolerate?

That's disturbing indeed! The rate of complications is readily available, and any good surgeon should talk through the possibilities with you. If one is unlucky enough to suffer from very bad complications I can understand feeling negative overall toward the surgery, but the facts are the facts - the vast majority of people don't have major issues and instead experience a range of benefits from the surgery.

I'm sad for that person and what they are going through (whatever it is really; I'm not clear) but it's not cool for them to suggest to you that it's overall a bad surgery, because that's just not the truth.

For me - I'm only one week out, but already feeling so very happy with it!

Some people have very real complications from this surgery!

Vomiting can be caused by any number of complications...not just overeating. I would not automatically assume that the person who contacted you is doing anything wrong. Perhaps she honestly is having a bad experience and just wants to warn you.

It's not a good idea to go into this surgery without fully understanding what risks are involved. You should check out the Complications Forum. Go forward with this surgery with eyes wide open.

You should also keep both eyes open as to who it is messaging you. It could be someone you know in real life trying to scare you or worse, one of those nutter fat acceptance weirdos.

I don't know if this applies to the person who emailed you - at the numerous slimming clubs that I have been to there was always one type of person. This person always said I can't loose weight no matter what I do, it's my metabolism, it's God's fault etc etc. When they stuck to the diet for the first week and lost several pounds it was a miracle. The second week they lost more pounds and suddenly their husband liked them fat and didn't want them to come anymore. What I'm getting at is some people simply won't make the commitment because they haven't got it in them. I don't know but maybe this person isn't sticking to the rules. Please don't let them distract from having a new and fantastic life.

I am 8 months post op.

My post op recovery was difficult and not the norm. I had a double stricture right out of surgery. Shots of steriods were given and an oral ppi was prescribed. My first 3 months was basically liquids only. shakes, broths, some yogurts. That was it. Every time I'd try solids, I would be sick in the bathroom...even after chewing the daylights out of it. That said...I did have the option of more intervention had I wished. But I didn't and that's just me. I wanted to just allow my body to do what it does, as long as everything else was still good. And it was.

Then, at 3 months they were afraid my sleeve was beginning to twist on itself....that's the point I knew I needed to do something to resolve once and for all. So I did what they suggested and it worked.

But that's when the hard part came. I needed to still make the healthy choices with each bite. I needed to work on hitting Protein and Fluid goals each day...in the same day.

My point is simple...if your honest during your psch eval, without telling them what you know they want to hear...and you pass...you'll be ready to hamdle whatever the outcome is.

This journey isnt for the weak hearted or timid.

It can be tough, it can be amazing, it can be stressful, it can be fun...but most of all...you need to be able to hang in there and follow the rules, take time to listen to your body and what its telling you.

To date, I've lost something around 110 pounds. I've hit my surgeons goal...will hit my own goal in 17 pounds.

Would I do it again??

Heck yeah I would..and I'd still deal with what I did..because it all taught me something very important.....that I was strong enough to pull threw anything life handed me along the way. The struggle has given me the self confidence..not the results that the scale give me.

Sorry if this is long winded...but I hope everyone that goes into ANY of the wls makes an informed HONEST choice.

Trust your instincts and what it tells you to do.

So many people do have real and credible complications from surgery. I think it's a little unnecessary to put them in the "crazy" category, they are only sharing their life experience. It is a hard decision to make, but just make sure you're making the right one for yourself.

My POV - it's fine and good for someone to share their personal experience with someone who has asked for input from others, but this line feels inappropriate to me - it's a disturbing thing to say, and an overarching statement about the surgery based on one person's experience; not factual or helpful at all: "this surg is like selling your soul to the devil."

I guess the email has been taken down because I don't see it. However, I take what people say on internet forums with a grain of salt because it's so easy to BS someone when you're anonymous behind a screen. For all you know, that person may not have even had WLS and they're just bored and/or want attention, so they opted to troll.

I was sleeved 6 months ago and the only time I feel sick are when I do stupid stuff that I know I shouldn't be doing. Like two days out of the hospital, I wasn't taking my prilosec, so I had severe heart burn that made drinking even Water unbearably painful. So I barely drunk which resulted in me getting dehydrated and feeling weak. Once I started taking my meds, I felt much better.

I also went to a holiday party about 3 weeks post-opt and wanting to hide the fact that I couldn't eat solid foods, I tried to do the "chew and spit" with some super spicy chicken and I swallowed a little bit by mistake and was in agony for about 15 minutes.

Most recently I let myself get really hungry (should've known better!) and begged DH to stop at McDonald's. I took HUGE bites (the way I used to pre-opt) of a double cheese burger with Mac Sauce & bacon (another no no!) and shoved several fries into my mouth hardly chewing.

All of a sudden, I felt like I needed to vomit and I could feel the food sitting in my chest and I had tightness and pain in my chest. I wanted to throw up, but all that I felt was foam rising up in the back of my throat.

I take responsibility for those mistakes, and try to do better. Everyone isn't like that. For some people, it's easier to lie and pretend they're doing everything right and it's just the sleeve that's wrong.

Edited by Comfy_Blue

oh wow. NO! I do not feel that way in the least. Sure there are times when I miss being able to eat the way that I did. That is the voice of the food addict that still lives in my brain. But I'm so happy that I have lost this weight. I still have to a way to go, but this feels great! If you think this is the right move for you, then go for it. The only times I've gotten sick, is when I've screwed up. Eating way fast or just too much. That's on me. I was given direction on how I would have to eat post surg. If I don't then I'll get sick. That is the deal that I made, with my doctor, NOT the devil. This is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Truly.

Edited by LessofApril

I am 8 months post op.

My post op recovery was difficult and not the norm. I had a double stricture right out of surgery. Shots of steriods were given and an oral ppi was prescribed. My first 3 months was basically liquids only. shakes, broths, some yogurts. That was it. Every time I'd try solids, I would be sick in the bathroom...even after chewing the daylights out of it. That said...I did have the option of more intervention had I wished. But I didn't and that's just me. I wanted to just allow my body to do what it does, as long as everything else was still good. And it was.

Then, at 3 months they were afraid my sleeve was beginning to twist on itself....that's the point I knew I needed to do something to resolve once and for all. So I did what they suggested and it worked.

But that's when the hard part came. I needed to still make the healthy choices with each bite. I needed to work on hitting Protein and Fluid goals each day...in the same day.

My point is simple...if your honest during your psch eval, without telling them what you know they want to hear...and you pass...you'll be ready to hamdle whatever the outcome is.

This journey isnt for the weak hearted or timid.

It can be tough, it can be amazing, it can be stressful, it can be fun...but most of all...you need to be able to hang in there and follow the rules, take time to listen to your body and what its telling you.

To date, I've lost something around 110 pounds. I've hit my surgeons goal...will hit my own goal in 17 pounds.

Would I do it again??

Heck yeah I would..and I'd still deal with what I did..because it all taught me something very important.....that I was strong enough to pull threw anything life handed me along the way. The struggle has given me the self confidence..not the results that the scale give me.

Sorry if this is long winded...but I hope everyone that goes into ANY of the wls makes an informed HONEST choice.

Trust your instincts and what it tells you to do.

Thank you for your input....we have to stick with program. ..I've thought over this for 15 yrs...it's time for action.I hit 50 an I want control over my life back..it's action time. I consider myself blessed I've gotten to a date an it's next Tuesday!