Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poor Blood Panel Results :(

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well! So, I kind of just need to vent for a bit. I know everyone's experience is different and only my Doctor and Surgeon can give medical insight, but I'm hoping someone may have been in a similar situation as I am. So, before I could schedule a surgery date I had to do all the tests. The last step (which I now wish was the first step), was my blood panel. All results came back good, except the blood panel.

The results returned showing that my Vitamin D, B12 and folic acid are all low. Easy enough to fix with a supplement. It also showed the my cholesterol was low, so my Doctor said to make sure I am eating healthy fats (avocados, nuts, fish, etc). *Possible TMI --> She also wants me to get an intravaginal ultrasound as she found heightened testosterone levels and yeast in my urine. Ultimately, she wants to rule out PCOS (which was ruled out in my teens, but that was roughly 20 years ago)

But then she went on to explain that my A1C test (blood sugar test that shows my average over 3 months) was at a 10, while normal is 5.6 or less. With this number, it constitutes as Type 2 Diabetes. Because I have never had issues with this before, she is requesting that I wear a glucose monitoring device (in arm) for 2 weeks and begin a weekly injection called Trulicity. Apparently Trulicity will help lower my blood sugar levels, but also could bring on weight loss as it decreases overall appetite. She is hoping to see improvements in the next 3 months, but until then will not issue the clearance.

I understand it is important for me to be healthy as my body will need all it can to heal post-surgery, but I am truly discouraged.

1. I'm angry at myself that I let things get this bad.
2. I'm worried that all my other tests will become null and void, since I'm fairly certain they are only valid for 6 months. Most were done in March and with having to wait at least 3 months - it's really cutting it close.
3. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If my numbers don't come down, does that mean surgery is out of the question?

I appreciate the listening ears and any input or advice!

Thank you and hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend.

Ugh, that sucks! I can't help you with the specifics on the blood panel, but throw the feeling of being angry at yourself away. We do our best, we really do. Sometimes, it's not good, but it's our best in the situation we were in.

You're doing something good for yourself now and you will get there.

One thing, though: if diabetes is a concern, strongly consider any type of bypass surgery.

Oh, and: I never understood why American doctors won't perform bariatric surgery on patients with high A1C levels when we know the best intervention for that is ... bariatric surgery. Nobody would ask someone with a broken arm to try and set it themselves first.

Edited by Guest

I understand your frustration with the possibility of delays regarding your surgery date. But don't blame yourself, if you do indeed have PCOS, it's not your fault. PCOS causes lots of hormonal issues which in turn causes abnormal lab results. So be gentle with yourself. I'm not sure what your height and weight is, but if you are diagnosed with PCOS, it will help get insurance approval if you don't have other comorbidities.

Your journey to surgery and a healthier life may have taken a slight Detour, but stick with the program and you will get to the finish line. That's what matters most of all. You can do this!

Best wishes on your journey!

So many us us don’t have such regular & thorough health checks as we do during this process. And because some health issues manifest slowly we don’t notice the changes as symptoms or we just blame something else - oh it’s just age or my weight or …, etc. Even though your results have been a set back, aren’t you glad the issues have been identified & your doctor wants to help you get better & healthier. Though you have to wait longer, you’ll be in a much healthier & stronger place to have the surgery.

I’m very happy my surgeon & doctor were vigilant all through my weight loss & would monitor or order further tests aberrations & still are. I still have three monthly blood tests & check ups at almost three years post surgery. And generally I’m very healthy.

6 hours ago, simplysmile said:

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well! So, I kind of just need to vent for a bit. I know everyone's experience is different and only my Doctor and Surgeon can give medical insight, but I'm hoping someone may have been in a similar situation as I am. So, before I could schedule a surgery date I had to do all the tests. The last step (which I now wish was the first step), was my blood panel. All results came back good, except the blood panel.

The results returned showing that my Vitamin D, B12 and folic acid are all low. Easy enough to fix with a supplement. It also showed the my cholesterol was low, so my Doctor said to make sure I am eating healthy fats (avocados, nuts, fish, etc). *Possible TMI --> She also wants me to get an intravaginal ultrasound as she found heightened testosterone levels and yeast in my urine. Ultimately, she wants to rule out PCOS (which was ruled out in my teens, but that was roughly 20 years ago)

But then she went on to explain that my A1C test (blood sugar test that shows my average over 3 months) was at a 10, while normal is 5.6 or less. With this number, it constitutes as Type 2 Diabetes. Because I have never had issues with this before, she is requesting that I wear a glucose monitoring device (in arm) for 2 weeks and begin a weekly injection called Trulicity. Apparently Trulicity will help lower my blood sugar levels, but also could bring on weight loss as it decreases overall appetite. She is hoping to see improvements in the next 3 months, but until then will not issue the clearance.

I understand it is important for me to be healthy as my body will need all it can to heal post-surgery, but I am truly discouraged.

2. I'm worried that all my other tests will become null and void, since I'm fairly certain they are only valid for 6 months. Most were done in March and with having to wait at least 3 months - it's really cutting it close.
3. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If my numbers don't come down, does that mean surgery is out of the question?

I have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, PCOS, and MS and my bmi is well over 40. I was approved within 48 hours by my insurance. I can understand that your diabetes and whatnot are concerning, but they are not anything that would knock you out of surgery. Now, the A1c at 10 may need to be a little lower (my surgeon won't do surgery on anyone with A1c over 9.5) but the rest shouldn't be much of an issue. At least for insurance. If anything, they will help you. But if your doctor won't give you the clearance, that might be a problem.

On 4/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, simplysmile said:

Hey everyone,

Let the anger go and try to find gratitude that you bare getting such a comprehensive work up. The A1c will come down with a lil medication and carb control. Trulicity is easy to adjust to and the steady glucose monitor will give you tons of useful feedback. The reason they can’t operate with a really high A1c is because the increased sugar coating the cells makes the healing slower, more strain on kidney, and more risk of surgical site infection ( bacteria thrives in sugar). Of course after surgery you will really see improvement in the diabetes. It is just a bump down a very long road. The journey is worth every step!

Good Luck!