Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prayed About It...well...

I am wondering after all the tries, fails to shed the excess and the final decision to have WLS...have I really prayed about it?

I have had a tendency to pray and not really wait on an answer. The way I viewed WLS was probably the way many naysayers have, but ONLY regarding myself. I would never discourage another to do it for themselves. So why now has my view changed?? It's because 'I' can no longer do this alone.

In the last few weeks where 'I' have made the decision, I have been gung ho about research...on the websites for hours on end, forsaking FB and Twitter(need to dust that off). I have filled myself with YouTube, VST, OH, 2 friends in conversation, my mother in conversation and the calling the doctor's office and insurance company with questions. I have been crunching numbers like crazy, because in the midst of being in the process pre-op, I am to start school in April...*hugh sigh*. School....that cuts down time for excercising, only two hours between work and class, 5 days a week.....ARRRGGGH! What am I getting into

I want to be well informed. I know this being major surgery, I will have an issue with anesthesia. It's a given. Nervous but ok.

I don't tolerate pain well. Nervous but ok!

I won't have a portion of my stomach. Ok. Nervous

Watched videos and read posts of regret. Nervous

To be honest I need to take a break because I have become obsessed and I am SCARING myself. With all of this said, have you noticed that I not once said I prayed. *lol*

Here I am, will lay down all the madness that I have created and pray. My scripture reference from here on out... I may add more or just let this one be my focus... is Psalm 91. I make it personal...and will speak it every step through my journey! AND I will pray! I am 'She, Lyn, your Daughter', who dwells in the secret place of the most high and I will abide under the shadow of the Almighty...

I want my prayer to be answered with what is best for Lyn's future! I want and deserve to be Happy, Healthy and Whole!

Loved the Psalm 91 quote. It too struggle with the my time with God. I jump out of bed and go, go and go. I struggle with Self-reliance and this is an area where I am completely not able to control myself. So, finally I am surrendering to this surgery. I am calling it His "Severe Mercy" toward me. I lost 50 pounds and am struggling a lot to keep it off. I hit a wall, and now see the pounds creeping back. I had never lost more than 20 pounds prior to this attempt. Unfortunately, my body needs a lot more weight off and I feel at peace with my decision to surrender my own desire to do it on my own (with God's help) and accept this tool to help me become healthier and improve my "temple". Glad you are all there wherever you are.

Sorry, I'm just seeing this...

I like that His "Severe Mercy". Whatever brings us to the place of I Surrender is what works, huh? It still takes me time to get there because I am stubborn and hard headed.

Don't let the wall hold you too long. Get a scripture or song of encouragement that you can memorize, sing or hum when those times come and press toward the mark.

Much success to you.

Rediscover,

I just read your post and it made me teary because I feel exactly the way you described yourself feeling. I have tried everything to fight this beast and win and I cannot. I have prayed so long and so hard on my knees for GOD to help me and guide me in the right direction. I have a thyroid issue. I had to have it killed off with radiation and I now am on medication for the rest of my life. I can't lose weight like everyone else. I know that even with the sleeve it will most likely be slower than most but I also know that if I don't do something I will only continue to get bigger and more unhealthy. I'm so scared but tell myself that I must have faith that GOD is in control and I have to trust him and have faith.

I wish you the best. God's Mercy and Grace is what we have. :)

I too struggled with this. I prayed about it but as you said I didn't really wait for an answer I just kept expecting God to step in at anytime should this not be for me. Being a minister in my church, I know I have an even greater responsibility and I never wanted my decision to affect the members of the congregation that are suffering with their weight. One day I was on this site and still feeling kinda unsure and I found a post someone had posted about how God answers our prayers regarding the things that concern us, our weight concerns us. The post went on to say how this surgery is a tool that God created to assist his children in an area where we have been weak. I had been looking for a sign that would say don't do it, and never expected a word that would tell me it's okay to do it. I told no one but my Pastor ( husband's blessing as well of course) that I was having surgery and I didn't even go into details, but I knew I needed the prayers of my Pastor to cover me while I was going through this process. I prayed and ensured that I was in right standings with the Lord prior to surgery and I accepted that if it was my time it was just my time, however, I knew that the devil would continue to try and feed doubt and unbelief up until the last moment. I am one week post-op and the only complications I had were caused by a nurse who was just trying to help me! I will say this, God tells us to cast all our cares on Him! I found out about the sleeve and had surgery in less than two months. I am 17lbs closer to not being overweight and experiencing health issues brought on by my poor habits. Is there another option, of course there is always another option thus free will. You are doing the right thing both sprirtually and naturally. Do your research and do your prayer search and should you decide surgery is right for you, yes you may still be nervous about the surgery you will have a peace about your decision! Remember the blessings of the Lord make it rich and addedth no sorrow! Best wishes and keep us posted.

I too struggled with this. I prayed about it but as you said I didn't really wait for an answer I just kept expecting God to step in at anytime should this not be for me. Being a minister in my church, I know I have an even greater responsibility and I never wanted my decision to affect the members of the congregation that are suffering with their weight. One day I was on this site and still feeling kinda unsure and I found a post someone had posted about how God answers our prayers regarding the things that concern us, our weight concerns us. The post went on to say how this surgery is a tool that God created to assist his children in an area where we have been weak. I had been looking for a sign that would say don't do it, and never expected a word that would tell me it's okay to do it. I told no one but my Pastor ( husband's blessing as well of course) that I was having surgery and I didn't even go into details, but I knew I needed the prayers of my Pastor to cover me while I was going through this process. I prayed and ensured that I was in right standings with the Lord prior to surgery and I accepted that if it was my time it was just my time, however, I knew that the devil would continue to try and feed doubt and unbelief up until the last moment. I am one week post-op and the only complications I had were caused by a nurse who was just trying to help me! I will say this, God tells us to cast all our cares on Him! I found out about the sleeve and had surgery in less than two months. I am 17lbs closer to not being overweight and experiencing health issues brought on by my poor habits. Is there another option, of course there is always another option thus free will. You are doing the right thing both sprirtually and naturally. Do your research and do your prayer search and should you decide surgery is right for you, yes you may still be nervous about the surgery you will have a peace about your decision! Remember the blessings of the Lord make it rich and addedth no sorrow! Best wishes and keep us posted.

Thank you. You have helped me so much. More than you know. I do truly believe me reading your post was God's way of helping me see that I am making the right choice.

Please keep me posted on your progress. I really would love to know how you are doing. I will pray for you and your speedy recovery. :)

I can so relate to what you have said. I have prayed but also did not wait for his answer. My surgery is Tuesday and I am now starting to get nervous. Please pray for me and I will pray for all of you.

Your thoughts are really encouraging, kcage. Thank you for sharing. I particularly appreciate the part that you shared about making sure that your heart was right before God before the surgery. That's a really good idea. Make sure that I'm at peace with God and then just put the situation into his hands. That's really all any of us can do anyways.

Though I have not been here in a long while, it is good to know that words of encouragement still flow for those who need it.

I'm happy for those of you who have had surgery. I still have a few months to go due to my school and work schedule. All things being well and the Lord says the same, December will do it for me.

God Bless!

Hello everyone. Everyone words has truly blessed my spirit. I even had to say "ouch" when someone mention they had not prayed about it first. There is no excuse so i am not going to name any. I know and believe that in "All things Pray first". I do believe also, that God gave the individuals wisdom to start doing the Sleeve. I have also did my research and spent hrs at a time researching. I am glad that I did because at first I was going to do the lapband. After researching, I decided on the sleeve. Hopefully before the year is over I will be sleeved. I have nutition and upper GI testing :rolleyes: tomorrow. After these, one more preop test. I am so excited for everyone and myself for taking this journey to lose weight and to be healthy. I will pray for everyone and please keep me in your prayers too. Congrats!!! to the ones that had it. Reading these posts inspire!!! Continue to be Blessed!!

I have prayed and am still praying even as i move forward toward the surgery...I am not sure what type of answer I think I will hear but I ask God to guide me. At time I feel like i am a failure for "needing" this surgery but then I know that God loves me no matter what. I wont know for a couple of weeks if insurance approves me but I think they will. I began to realize I have more peace about getting the surgery than not and find that I hope and pray i will be approved but I know that God is with me no matter what.

Hi and God bless you all. I am 17 days post-op and have lost 19 lbs. Total lost since I put my faith in God to give me strength for this journey back in August is 30 lbs. I had wanted to do this a couple of years ago because of diabetes uncontrolled mostly. My pancreas was not working well with my meds and I needed this surgery. But as a weak human I chickened out. As I sought the Lord to lead me in my decision it became clear I had to do this. I read so many posts of sleevers with complication and it breaks my heart for them. Although I must say THANK YOU JESUS because I have been doing well. I pray daily and ask that He keeps helping me even as I know He is always with me. No more diabetes pills and no more insulin injections. I am so grateful.

Hello everyone. Everyone words has truly blessed my spirit. I even had to say "ouch" when someone mention they had not prayed about it first. There is no excuse so i am not going to name any. I know and believe that in "All things Pray first". I do believe also, that God gave the individuals wisdom to start doing the Sleeve. I have also did my research and spent hrs at a time researching. I am glad that I did because at first I was going to do the lapband. After researching, I decided on the sleeve. Hopefully before the year is over I will be sleeved. I have nutition and upper GI testing :rolleyes: tomorrow. After these, one more preop test. I am so excited for everyone and myself for taking this journey to lose weight and to be healthy. I will pray for everyone and please keep me in your prayers too. Congrats!!! to the ones that had it. Reading these posts inspire!!! Continue to be Blessed!!

Slimagainsoon,

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted on your progress. Please believe that research is key. I still research as best I can, though at times it seems I am going in circles.

Be Blessed as well!

I have prayed and am still praying even as i move forward toward the surgery...I am not sure what type of answer I think I will hear but I ask God to guide me. At time I feel like i am a failure for "needing" this surgery but then I know that God loves me no matter what. I wont know for a couple of weeks if insurance approves me but I think they will. I began to realize I have more peace about getting the surgery than not and find that I hope and pray i will be approved but I know that God is with me no matter what.

Shmrock,

I feel you on realizing more peace. I think over time as the excitement wore down, I was able to focus and it didn't feel like a rushed decision. Usually when I make up my mind about doing something, I pretty much obsess until, 1) it's done or 2) I decide not to do it. Because of the time from first appointment until time for surgery, I had to make myself say, you really need to get it together! Stepping away from VST and any other BS outlet and occupying my time with activity helped as well and then I felt the peace.

I am still nervous that I'm doing the right thing. In the forefront sometimes are the long term residuals but, surgery isn't cancelled either...lol.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Hi and God bless you all. I am 17 days post-op and have lost 19 lbs. Total lost since I put my faith in God to give me strength for this journey back in August is 30 lbs. I had wanted to do this a couple of years ago because of diabetes uncontrolled mostly. My pancreas was not working well with my meds and I needed this surgery. But as a weak human I chickened out. As I sought the Lord to lead me in my decision it became clear I had to do this. I read so many posts of sleevers with complication and it breaks my heart for them. Although I must say THANK YOU JESUS because I have been doing well. I pray daily and ask that He keeps helping me even as I know He is always with me. No more diabetes pills and no more insulin injections. I am so grateful.

Wow BornAgain,

This is good news you are sharing....your loss and no longer needed the diabetes meds. God is awesome!

OAN...here me clear...I would not presume to know you, but I would dare not call you weak. Again, timing is everything, especially with God' plan for our life. That may have been the prompting you needed to delay until things were lined up to become ready. We ask God to go before us, right? He already knew the day you would have surgery, in so much that 17 days post op you would have a good report of an overall total loss of 30lbs. Who is to say that 2 years ago, there would not have been something beyond your control that would have not made the experience a great one!

Just my $.02 :)

Keep us posted on your progress and Be Blessed!