Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK. So newest studies say that single stage VSG patients on average lose

60.7 percent of their excess weight. It seems like I see mostly people on here that are still early in the process of losing, or have lost ALL of their excess weight. So do you think that people who use forums lose more than the average because of accountability or some other factor, or people who lose more than average are more likely to post? Where are all the people who make up the longterm (3-5 years) unsatisfactory weight loss percentage?

I have not had surgery yet, but am almost done with my tests... I of course would like to lose close to 100% of my excess weight....60 would be MUCH better than none of course...

I think the studies that are out for the 3-5+ yr single stage VSG patients are based on the bigger sleeves that were used before the technique was adjusted.

I lost 100%+ of my EWL, and I know many others that are 2-4 years out, and easily maintaining their loss. There's a few long termers on here, but they rarely post. I'm just over a year, and honestly, I really don't see myself ever gaining more than 5-10 pounds back over the next few years. I'm not naive to believe that I won't see a regain of some sort, but I also know myself better than any statistical study could predict. Losing isn't difficult with the sleeve, it's the maintenance that is tricky. So far though, I've found a really great balance and hover within a 5lb loss/gain on any given day.

I lost 100%+ of my EWL, and I know many others that are 2-4 years out, and easily maintaining their loss. There's a few long termers on here, but they rarely post. I'm just over a year, and honestly, I really don't see myself ever gaining more than 5-10 pounds back over the next few years....

Your a great inspiration Tiff

Where are all the people who make up the longterm (3-5 years) unsatisfactory weight loss percentage?

I think the people you see here or on other websites are those who are visible. They're interested and active in their weight loss journey. But there are lots more out in the general population who don't post on websites. (It takes a certain kind of person to be willing to put their personal business in the street like this.)

In my experience, medical studies tend to track certain groups of people in a limited demographic or regional area, and I don't know if the statistics are truly reflective of what's happening in the practice as a whole.

Case in point: Does the study you cite consider the huge number of surgeries conducted outside the US? The Mexico surgery centers are doing a bumper crop worth of sleeves and bands, so they could likely add a lot to the numbers you're seeing. The reported statistics may need to be expanded, or at least updated to reflect more modern numbers.

I think also the volume of weight an individual loses is directly connected to how committed those people are, and how successful they'll be. I work with a guy who was banded last year, but he's only lost 40 pounds of the probably 150 he has to lose. His comment to me about it was that he got the band to help lower his comorbidities, not necessarily to lose weight. (And he eats junk food all the time, so that's no surprise.)

When some people lose a ccertain amount of weight, they may decide that's good enough for them. They've lost some (or a lot) of their excess weight, and they may get tired of having to work so hard. The sleeve is an amazing process, but it still is only a tool, and tools don't work themselves. The person has to use the tool to get the desired results.

As Tiffy says, losing with the sleeve isn't that hard - it's maintaining a given weight that's harder. So we'll see in another few years what the statistical numbers look like. :)

Dave

Dave, the link is:

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/Updated_Position_Statement_on_Sleeve_Gastrectomy.pdf

The AMERICAN Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery

Of course Mexico is part of the Americas, but I doubt that this study includes statistics found in Mexico.

..just checking around for stats for Mexico...

On average, Dr. Aceves patients who undergo Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy can expecto to lose 96% of their excess body weight in a period of 12 months

Over a 2 years period on average patients lose 100 % of their excess body weight.

The Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Dave, the link is:

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/Updated_Position_Statement_on_Sleeve_Gastrectomy.pdf

The AMERICAN Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery

Of course Mexico is part of the Americas, but I doubt that this study includes statistics found in Mexico.

Thanks for posting the link. It is an interesting document, and pretty enlightening. Reading through it, and comparing the charts of the studies they cite, shows that some of the studies are several years old. The one that had a five-year history was completed in 2007. I'm by no means an expert, but it seems like sleeve operations have changed some in the last few years. I wonder if in a few years when there is more updated data whether the results will be different.

One statement in the study I found to be especially interesting: "A deficiency of long-term follow-up data remains in the published surgical reports to confirm the effectiveness of SG as a stand-alone intervention at 5 years. Such longterm data might or might not ultimately confirm that the procedure should remain in the category of a staged treatment intervention." That says to me that there isn't enough time passed as yet to say how much weight sleeve patients will lose. So the 61% they mention in the study was up to that point. As the newer procedure changes the way sleeves are created, it may also affect how much weight a sleeve patient should expect to lose.

After I have my surgery, ask me in a year or two how much weight I've lost. :)

Dave

The ~60% figure, I believe, includes an older procedure that was not as effective. Also, Tiffykins is right (as usual :thumbup: -- the numbers quoted also roll in the VERY large Bougie sizes that were initially used.

The ~60% figure, I believe, includes an older procedure that was not as effective. Also, Tiffykins is right (as usual :thumbup: -- the numbers quoted also roll in the VERY large Bougie sizes that were initially used.

That make sense. Thanks all.

Dont you think this is a very interesting sub culture? And kind of hidden...Now that I am in "the process" people are coming out to me about their surgery. So many... mostly women in the hospital setting have had it done. Nurses and technicians mostly... I see people so differently...

It is really interesting, isn't it? I still haven't run into one. single. person. in real life who's had the sleeve (that I know of). But to answer your question, I'm 6-1/2 months out and have already lost 62% of what I consider my excess weight, but I'm only 1.5 pounds away from a BMI of 25, which I guess means I've already lost 98% of my "excess weight" if by "excess weight" you mean "weight that puts me in the 'overweight' category on the BMI charts."

It is really interesting, isn't it? I still haven't run into one. single. person. in real life who's had the sleeve (that I know of). But to answer your question, I'm 6-1/2 months out and have already lost 62% of what I consider my excess weight, but I'm only 1.5 pounds away from a BMI of 25, which I guess means I've already lost 98% of my "excess weight" if by "excess weight" you mean "weight that puts me in the 'overweight' category on the BMI charts."

The 25BMI must be the gauge of the 62%? I would think...

So your Doc is ok with you losing more? I know I want to lose more than my highest normal bmi...

Yes, when I told my doc I wanted to get down to 115, he laughed and said "anything below a 25 BMI is just vanity -- but all the ladies want to look like sticks!" But he had no objection, and he said there's no reason I can't get down that low if that's what I want.

Yes, when I told my doc I wanted to get down to 115, he laughed and said "anything below a 25 BMI is just vanity -- but all the ladies want to look like sticks!" But he had no objection, and he said there's no reason I can't get down that low if that's what I want.

I havn't even had surgery yet and I'm planing of losing more than my stated goal! Your Drs commet was pretty funny! I will lose to 25bmi for my health, then the rest for vanity! Why not? If Im feeling well, who cares? Good luck to you.

I was thinking of this too and I thing tht people who arte on this forum are more focused of losing the weight so people who are not doing very well aren't on this forum anyway, I know that sometimes (like yesterday) i feel like giving up and this forum helps me a great deal. I am scared though now because I feel that now that things changed on here I'm relying on it less as I don't find it as easy to navigate as I used to. :(