Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I bounce back and forth so much I'm making my self dizzy. Do I have the surgery or dont I? I'm at my last step. I saw the dietitian 3 weeks ago, she put me on a 1500 cal diet. I asked her if I came back and lost the 10 that I needed to lose would I be sent for approval. She said yes. Now heres the thing. I did realy good on this diet and I think to my self," I can do this on my own!", then I think "no I cant!" I know my self well enough to know that I could do realy well for 3,4,8 weeks then throw it all out the window. Every side efect, every negative out come is running threw my head. I want so much to "do it" on my own but just know I cant. Have any of you gone threw this? Is this a normal stage?

Tina

Yep - completely normal. I know for every diet I've done in the past - lots of them! -- that I can't keep it up permanently. Which is what you have to do to both lose and then maintain that loss.

You can always decide to put off the surgery and try one more time to do it on your own. Then when things go downhill, pursue the surgery again. If you really want to prove to yourself that dieting just doesn't work long term.

Totally know what your talking about! :drool:

I did great on the pre-opt diet but I know I would of fell off the wagon if it wasn’t for knowing I was getting the surgery. I have also been doing great after the surgery and I have not even had a fill yet. I joked with my husband and said the doctor could have stabbed me in the stomach and put a bottle cap in for the port and I would lose weight. :tt2:

Truth is I have lost weight on my own many times but always gain it back. I figured if this is what it takes then I’m doing it, getting SCARED TO DEATH :confused_smile: up to the day of surgery........ but would not change a thing now that it is over! :scared2:

I can tell you this: On the pre-opt diet (low 1200 calorie real food) I was hungry all the time and it was hard not to cheat (I did cheat a time or two) but after the band I find even with no fills it's MUCH EASIER to stick to low calorie diet even around 1000 calories. So I look forward to getting my first fill next week.

:sleep: If I'm not hungry than this is gonna be easy!!!

Sounds completely normal. I too keep saying to myself just one more diet, if only. I keep thinking that the will-power is lacking but so many of us have alot of will power. I too am having my doubts, by surgical consult is for 7/7/08 and I did my health assessment with my primary and the psychological. It is scary to have surgery, but we know that all else just did not work. The best of luck to you:thumbup:

I think a lot of us go through the same feelings. I lost 10 pounds in the month before I even saw the surgeon, just because I was so ready for the process. I was self-pay so I really had to think about it.... I'm going to spend $17,000 -- pretty much take on the equivalent of a car payment for the next 5 years -- when, look, I'm doing it, I'm losing weight... for free!!! I could take that money and finally get the new kitchen I want (funny how that's a food-focused dream too, lol).

But like another poster said.... I knew that one reason I was finding the discipline and motivation to lose a few pounds before I saw the surgeon, was because I knew I was about to change my life dramatically by getting the lap band. Also, I know how to lose weight. I've lost 100 pounds three times in the last 20 years. My problem is, I don't know how to keep it off. That's where I'm really hoping the lap band will provide me with the tool I'm lacking in my own head.

Heya Tina,

This is what my PCP told me when I brought up the EXACT same points you made. She said, "Cheryl, if you could do that yourself, would you be this size?" ...'nuff said! She kinda hit me with reality. If I COULD do it, I would be doing it, not thinking about it. Here I was going back and forth because I was scared and trying to rationalize me not getting the surgery. But eventually I had to stop and think about it..My answer to her question...Heck no I wouldn't be this size!! but that's just me. I am looking forward to the band helping me do something I couldn't on my own...live life healthier.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheryl

if you could do that yourself, would you be this size?"

wow you just slapped me in the forehead. that one quote puts it all in prospective for me. I guess I'm getting nervous. I went to my appointment, I lost 10 pounds, 14 altogether, and she is sending it to my dr for his finial approval. Thank you!

But could we keep it off without the band?

I have been this big at least 3 times in my life, have lost and gained it all back and more. I am looking to the band to ensure that once I loose the weight it will be easier to keep it off.

Life is too short to continue on this yo yo cycle, it has to end!

Right Tina! That's exactly how I felt! I am crossing my fingers on your final approval. I am sending good wishes your way! Let us know what happens.

To Be Free- you said it! I totally agree!