Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being approved for surgery

I’m 27, 5’4 and 219 pounds. My last known weight before that was 231 but I ended up getting sick and having to have emergency surgery so I lost a bit while in the hospital. I have PCOS, GERD, sleep apnea and fibromyalgia. 4 years ago I lost 90 pounds (from 250) and was down to 160 but with life, stress and kids I’ve gained most of it back. I’ve tried everything this last year and a half to get the weight back off but I’ve been unsuccessful. Would I be a candidate to be approved for surgery even though my BMI isn’t at 40? I have WellCare and I have an appointment for a consultation on March 5th with the surgeon but I’m scared I’ll just be told to keep trying to loose weight myself.

Most insurances will approve WLS if your BMI is 35 and you have a comorbidity. Documented sleep apnea is usually accepted as a comorbidity, along with diabetes, high blood pressure and hyperlipidemia. Using a BMI calculator I come up with a BMI of 37.6. Along with your sleep apnea, you should qualify. Your surgeon will do what he can to get you approved, he/she wants your business!

OMG I can't believe I'd recommend this to anyone, but if they say your BMI is too low, you only have to get up to 235 lbs to have a BMI of 40.1! But if your insurance is like most of the other ones they'll accept your sleep apnea and a BMI of 37.6

Good luck and keep us posted!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Topics

• Most popular:

• Recent Status Updates

• Krestel

New found appreciation for you all!
      So Im back in the US to take care of my aging father and it seems like more than ever that being bigger is the norm everywhere here. I cant say that Ive been the best, healthiest me at the moment, but I think you all Americans are doing GREAT to even be working towards the goal of getting healthier in face of all this temptation (even if you are a "slow loser"). So give all yourselves a pat on the back!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • zombierayvinn

I am now 10 days post op and I am down 16lbs. I had an allergic reaction to the glue my doctor used so I am still sore and trying to keep moving to not get stiff. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Tory Myers

Hello congratulations on your new journey I am 5 days post op and still trying to get the hang of things. I’m supposed to return back to work in a few days but still sore as well. Do you have any advice for me being 5 days post opt?

• Tabatha529

Hello,  I am brand new on here. 
      The doctor qualified me yesterday for the surgery, so now I have to take 12 weeks of education classes and then he said they will schedule the surgery 4-6 weeks after I complete the classes. 
      I am excited to start this new journey.
      · 0 replies
    • Anki

Am at the half-way mark of the six month pre-op program.  So excited!  Got clearance from psychologist this morning, so I scheduled my surgery consult for early March.  It is becoming more real now.  Have lost 18 pounds so far, since I began this journey on 12/18/19.  
      · 0 replies
    • ms.sss

So months ago, the Kid thought it would be funny to create an account on here and troll me with it.  Figured out it was her a few days later, and had a laugh about it.  She's been trolling me on it ever since.
      This morning I went on to post something and realized after the fact that I posted using her account as she was on my laptop last night 🙄
      Trolling over, Kid.
      · 0 replies
  • Trending Topics

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs