Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I forgot how to use this "tool"... :(

Hey gang,

I'm a long time "vet" in terms of length since surgery (June 2013), but I completely went about using my pouch incorrectly. I got pregnant "accidentally" 4 months after surgery. We had a lot of stress (financial, "difficult" baby who never slept until 11months old, moving, etc) and I turned to food for comfort...those slider foods :( I was at my lowest adult weight EVER 3 days after having my son....185lbs. But now I'm back up to 203 and miserable.

Well, now I'm almost 3 years past surgery, finally have life mostly under control, and well, I'd really like to see if I have a tool that still works, but honestly I don't even know where to start. I can't remember what to do... eat Protein first right? how much? was it 80g? Then Veggies? No Water 30 minutes before/after a meal... Is it just 3 meals a day?

I feel like a newbie all over again. How do I restart? Is tracking calories in MFP (or similar) really helping any of you vets who actually made it to goal?

I'm praying my stomach still small enough to help me get to goal. I know when I do eat protein first I can't eat too much (though certainly way more than I could 3 years ago)...and I can't eat more than a slice of pizza, so it must still be somewhat small. But Cookies...well I can eat several of those *sigh*.

Words of wisdom, encouragement, plans that work all accepted! And I promise to come back and hang out here more for encouragement!!

Edited by rebecca_dsu

You should start with the "5 Day Pouch Test", which you can google for the specifics. It's basically an abbreviated version of post-op food stages to help you identify your restriction and kick your carb habit.

From there you should do the following:

• Aim for 80-100 grams of Protein per day
  • Always put Protein first at every meal/snack
  • Drink at least 64 oz. of Water per day
  • Take your Vitamins
  • Eat probably 5-6 times a day, but include protein every time
  • Don't worry about stopping drinking before eating, but definitely DO NOT eat and drink at the same time
  • Don't drink your calories
  • Avoid slider foods (anything with a high liquid content or anything that begins "desolving" in your mouth)
  • Avoid grazing. Make sure you eat a set number of times per day on a regular schedule.
  • Track your food
  • Start walking or some sort of daily exercise/activity

Might also be worth putting in a call or email to your original nutritionist. And I would also recommend getting/using an activity tracker to start keeping track of your steps/activity each day.

This is the strategy I am using in the maintenance phase.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

If you want to lose weight, you will need to limit your food intake, normally this was done through limiting the volume of your meals.

I don't have anything to add to the advice given, which is great, but I do want to say

you can do this!

and we'll be here to encourage you if you need that. let us know how you're doing.

You should start with the "5 Day Pouch Test", which you can google for the specifics. It's basically an abbreviated version of post-op food stages to help you identify your restriction and kick your carb habit.

From there you should do the following:

• Aim for 80-100 grams of Protein per day
  • Always put Protein first at every meal/snack
  • Drink at least 64 oz. of Water per day
  • Take your Vitamins
  • Eat probably 5-6 times a day, but include protein every time
  • Don't worry about stopping drinking before eating, but definitely DO NOT eat and drink at the same time
  • Don't drink your calories
  • Avoid slider foods (anything with a high liquid content or anything that begins "desolving" in your mouth
  • Avoid grazing. Make sure you eat a set number of times per day on a regular schedule.
  • Track your food
  • Start walking or some sort of daily exercise/activity

Might also be worth putting in a call or email to your original nutritionist. And I would also recommend getting/using an activity tracker to start keeping track of your steps/activity each day

Thank you!! This is exactly the kind of direct/instruction I needed. I had WLS in Mexico (self paid) so I never had a nutritionist and the ones here in TN aren't great (they are more on the band wagon of "lean cuisines and skinny cow ice cream" vs. clean, whole foods (which I prefer)).

I have a fitbit...but I find it doesn't motivate me even when I see that I haven't walked much. However, I do have a toddler to run after, so I'm going to be more intentional to take him to the park to run around so that I inevitably have to run around too...ha!

Thanks again!

Edited by rebecca_dsu

I don't have anything to add to the advice given, which is great, but I do want to say

you can do this!

and we'll be here to encourage you if you need that. let us know how you're doing.

Thank you so much! And I will!

Be sure to post back and let us know how things are going. I should have listed "Stay active on the forums" as one of the keys to success. It definitely helps motivate me and keep me accountable!

I tried the essential oil concoction in response #3. The fennel smell overpowers all of the others. I suppose that would not be so bad if I like black licorice, but I don't. I smell like black licorice all day if I use that stuff (usually a dab on each wrist).

I also tried the roasted fennel. I ate it because I bought the stuff and cooked it, but won't do that again.

Anyway, if you like licorice, the essential oils might be a solution for you.

I tried the essential oil concoction in response #3. The fennel smell overpowers all of the others. I suppose that would not be so bad if I like black licorice, but I don't. I smell like black licorice all day if I use that stuff (usually a dab on each wrist).

I also tried the roasted fennel. I ate it because I bought the stuff and cooked it, but won't do that again.

Anyway, if you like licorice, the essential oils might be a solution for you.

Yeah I don't like that smell either. But I do love lavendar, and have it in a roll on (with jojoba oil)...I may try to be more consistent with that and see if it does any good.

My biggest hurdle is getting back over the carb (mostly sugar) addiction and eating so many slider foods. I look forward to getting back to the basics and focusing on Protein, fats and veggies. If I really focus on that Protein goal, I think it will keep me full and satiated.

I also agree that the 5 day pouch test is the way to go to get back to basics. I finally decided to try it and I'm on day 4!! It really is a great reminder of how to eat, to be mindful of eating, to plan ahead, etc.

You can do it!!!