Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused

I am scheduled for dec. 17th.My family thinks that I am crazy and can do it myself.My goal is to lose about 50 - 60lbs.I have had weight issues since childhood. Always the chubby one.If I exercise full steam I lose some weight the problem has always been staying motivated.I don't and then I gain the weight right back again .Help am I making the right choice?

You have to decide that for yourself. You have to stay motivated with the band, or it will give you hard lesson. I think everyone who doesn't have a problem with weight, or doesn't care about their weight has the idea that anyone can lose weight if they want to. I've seen a lot of families who are just sure you're making a mistake. Mine didn't really get it, but were supportive. If you believe that this is the right thing, then do it and be successful. They aren't you and only you know if this is really what you want.

I am scheduled for dec. 17th.My family thinks that I am crazy and can do it myself.My goal is to lose about 50 - 60lbs.I have had weight issues since childhood. Always the chubby one.If I exercise full steam I lose some weight the problem has always been staying motivated.I don't and then I gain the weight right back again .Help am I making the right choice?

Kim-you know we can't answer that question for you! BUT...here is the deal.

The other day I stumbled across an article on a blog. The author was talking about how she is anti-WLS...blah blah. And the comments were full of ignorant people stating the dumbest things. It made me so mad that I made a little video response to the article and the people who thought that if "fat people would just go buy a treadmill and get off their fat asses"....

You can click on the link to my blog (it's in my signature) and then scroll down to find the post called video rant.

What you have to do is realize it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of you choice to have WLS or the band. It does NOT make you a failure. Do you know the stats for people who lose weight the "traditional way" and keep if off for over 5 years? About 5%! That means the other 95% fail. If you are like lots of us, you have lost the weight on your own before...sure....but you gain it back. The band will helpfully HELP you learn new eating habits and start feeling better about yourself. You will get healthier and feel more in control throughout your journey.

There will ALWAYS be people who think you took the "easy way out". Tell them...you are right! It was EASY to choose LIFE and HEALTH! This decision is yours to make. Be proud of taking control. Of choosing to make a difference. Of trying something new.

Do it for you.

We all support you!

I wish you the best of luck--Amy

Kim, only you can decide. Do it for you, not a dress size. I am older but Makulafamy says it better in her video. Some of my family objected, too9 hey wouldn't do it even they need to) ; later, others asked about it forr themselves and their inlaws. You are a pioneer- someone has to break the barier. It was worth every penny for me. I have 70# s to go but this is the thinnest I've been in 6 years!!. Anyone who thinks thisis easy , needs to try- it isn't simply a matter of banding your stomach, you must watch what you eat, drink, check yor internal sensations while eating, exercise, and keep it up. It is a committment. But it is successful!!

Edited by sue in ne

I guess the only thing I can say is ...You have to decide what is right for you, no on else walks in your shoes but you!

I have been in your shoes and I had two relatives who had gastric bypass, so you would think they would have all gotten it right? Not so much.

I decided to follow through with my surgery and haven't looked back, yes, there times where it is hard but I have plugged along and done what I felt was right for me.

Make your decision for you - never anyone else or other peoples fears or prejudices, life is too short and it is not the easy way out :willy_nilly:

good luck to you! Barbara

Everyone above is right. You can't listen to what some people may say. There will be times when you feel like no one is on your side except the people who have been through it. My husband who is usually my biggest supporter on Saturday kept trying to get me to eat. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on and why he was doing that but I kept having to say no to him and finally I talked to him about it that night. He just fell back into the old habits of us eating together and wanted to make sure I had enough to eat so even the ones who support you the most will fail at it sometimes. You have to be strong and stand on your own convictions. You are the only one looking back at yourself in the mirror everyday. You decide.

my only question would be... "Do YOU want this?" .. if so, proceed. If you are still questioning, then by all means continue your research. If no, then you have your answer. :willy_nilly:

Good luck to you in whatever YOU decide.

Somebody has to be the one to disagree with the majority. Why is it always me?

IMHO, weight loss surgery to lose 50 pounds is overkill. What else have you tried? WLS is not a magic pill, it is only a tool and you will still have to work hard at it.

I am not saying that you shouldn't have WLS but anybody that is considering it should do a lot of research first.

My entire family, except for my husband was very unsupportive, but they can't ignore the fact that I now have normal cholesterol levels and am no longer taking high blood pressure meds. In the end it's your decision and yours alone. I made the right decision.

Somebody has to be the one to disagree with the majority. Why is it always me?

IMHO, weight loss surgery to lose 50 pounds is overkill. What else have you tried? WLS is not a magic pill, it is only a tool and you will still have to work hard at it.

I am not saying that you shouldn't have WLS but anybody that is considering it should do a lot of research first.

I have to agree here...If you have less then 100 to lose and have tried and tried then...maybe. But having surgery for 50 pounds seems kinda massive.

But just be aware the band is not an instant thing. You still have to work really hard. It is just a internal tool to help you out.