Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dropping clothing sizes??

Hi all... I was wondering how much weight you lost before you started dropping clothing sizes. I have lost a total of 26lbs but can't tell a difference in my clothes, it's kind of depressing, I would think by now I should be able to tell.

Well when I began I was a size 24 and I think I had to lose like 40 pounds before I went into a 22.....it was totally depressing!!!!!! But now as I have gotten smaller, the sizes go down a lot quicker. Somtimes I lose 6 pounds and I am down another size. Very weird.

Well when I began I was a size 24 and I think I had to lose like 40 pounds before I went into a 22.....it was totally depressing!!!!!! But now as I have gotten smaller, the sizes go down a lot quicker. Somtimes I lose 6 pounds and I am down another size. Very weird.

Ok well that is good to know... I am also a size 24... so hopefully soon I will notice some change in sizes!!

I started out as a size 30 on top and a size 32 on bottom I think I had to drop at least 50 lbs to start moving down in sizes. 2 observations I have made about clothing sizes,

1) When I was heavier I was loath to move up to the next size until I ABSOLUTELY had to ( seams were ripping) and for the most part our clothing stretches with us. So, taking the fact that I at least was actually larger then the label on my clothing ( for example should have been in a 28 but was clinging onto a 26 for as long as possible) the actual loss in size was greater then reflected by the label.

2) The difference in between plus sizes is large. there is a huge disparity between a size 28 and a size 30 and not so much between a size 6 and 8 ( I will see those sizes again :))

I dropped nearly forty pounds before I moved down from a 2x to a 1x. Of course, every clothing company is different. I'll have to see how much more I lose before I go down another size.

I think Ivy Rose has hit it on the head. When we go up in sizes, we put it off until we absolutely have to, wearing our clothes stretched way too tight because we don't want to admit to the size change. So dropping clothes sizes generally means dropping at least a size in fat, so that you actually fit into the number on the label before you can drop enough weight to go down to the next number and have it fit when new (i.e. unstretched). I know I had a mix of 22, 24 and 26 clothes in my closet when I started this journey and on occasion would still try to squeeze into a beloved shirt in an 18 or 20.

Hi all... I was wondering how much weight you lost before you started dropping clothing sizes. I have lost a total of 26lbs but can't tell a difference in my clothes, it's kind of depressing, I would think by now I should be able to tell.

I have lost 29lbs and have gone down 2 sizes. You can drop inches before you drop sizes. It's not necessarily weight that has to be dropped for sizes.

It took a while for me at first also. I was in a 24 moving to a 26. After the first 30 lbs I began to drop sizes. My weight loss surgeon says it should be about every ten pounds which is what is happening with me now. I am currently in a size 12 about to drop to a size 10. But, sometimes the tops are different like paracelsus said different clothing companies have different sizing charts. Sometimes I wear a large top and sometimes I wear a medium depending on the top but the bottoms are almost always the same. And get ready, because when you do start losing sizes, it is a pain to keep up with the clothes issues. It is really difficult. Just when you get a couple of pieces of clothing in one size, you are already down to the next size. I spent a lot of time in Walmart and consignment shops.

I've lost 40 pounds and gone from a size 22 to a size 14 now. I'm doing pilates 4 days week, so I've lost lots of fat, and built a lot of good muscle in it's place.

I've lost 28lbs (had surgery early November), and have gone down 3 jean sizes. From a 24 to a 18 or 20 depending on the brand.

I'm only 6 weeks post op and I have a PILE of jeans and shirts that are way too big for me now.

After 1 year I honestly do not remember how much I lost before I started reducing clothing sizes. What I can tell you is I started at a 22/24 and am now in a 14 comfortably and looking forward to going down to a 12 soon. You must exercise and reduce calories and be patient with the loss of weight and inches. Do this consistently and watch it fall off. There will be plateaus, so being patient is important. It's a great feeling though when you start reducing clothing sizes and it provides extra motivation.

I think it really depends on your overall body shape and therefore is different for everyone. I have lost 23 kgs (50.6lbs) and I'm still wearing the same clothes. However I think by Jan I will need to update my wardrobe as everything is a lot baggier! I am definately one of those people who lose more inches/centimeters compared to weight!

I agree - i'm down 65 pounds, and I'm still wearing the same clothes too. OK, i NEED new clothes because these are literally falling off of me now, but I dont have a lot of money to spend, so after christmas, I'm going to go out and get a few Basics - Black slacks , Gray or Brown slacks, tops for work , new bras and panties. That ALONE will cost a fortune! lol

When i find out what size I am, I'll post on here again and let you know :-)

Oh, i started out as a 26/28 on the bottom, and 22/24 on the top

Ladies who have lost 30-50lb or more, if you haven't yet gone shopping and tried on new sizes, let me urge you to do it now! At least, buy yourself a new outfit that FITS for Xmas. You'll be amazed at how different you look once you get into clothes that fit well. We all make that mistake of hanging on to chothes that get baggier and baggier, long past their use by date, because we have head issues seeing ourselves as really being slimmer. Go buy the clothes and prove it to yourself! If you're dead broke and can't afford new clothes, go shopping at the second hand store, but get something that fits! The ego boost is a brilliant motivator!