Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance coverage and other ?'s

Hello!

I'm just starting to research Lap band and am pretty sold , I'm 5'6 and 230lbs , I am tired of having no energy and hiding from life because I am no longer thin , it's funny , I frequently hear that women have gained weight DURING their pregnancies but I gained mine after , my son is nearly 7 and I am fed up with myself and quite disgusted , I'm assuming we've all been there.

My question and statements are about The Chicago District Council of Carpenters , we have insurance through them and it appears as though they don't cover it , if anyone knows otherwise PLEASE let me know, I had my hopes up until I read that a few minutes ago , I'm also irked as they don't cover Lasik surgery either , lol . I intend on calling them as soon as I can this morning.

There is no way I could be a self pay so this will only happen with insurance , I was going to do stomach stapling until I read all the horror stories about it while researching , getting heavy is so easy and takes so long ,losing it is just nearly impossible with no will power ,it really makes me wonder what's in our food ,lol.

Any help or advice would be great ,I have a horrible family health history and have decided it's time to step up to the plate and take responsibility for what I've done to myself.

Many thanks , Lisa

Be sure that when you call them, you specify Morbid Obesity. Most policies don't cover treatment for Obesity - but lots of them cover treatment for MORBID Obesity if it is determined to be medically necessary.

Good Luck!

Seriously, I used to despise the term "Morbid Obesity" until it came to being covered for my Lapband sugery! Now, it's music to my ears! Cindy

What would constitute morbid obesity? I'm 5'6 230lbs and I have controlled high blood pressure , high cholesteral (on Lipitor) so it's lowered , history of heart disease in the family and a strong family history of diabetes.

Thanks in advance

Lisa

BMI over 40 = Morbid Obesity.

Body Mass Index. Do a search for "BMI". There is a link to a BMI calculator somewhere on this board.

:]

I talked to the insurance , if my doctor refers me then it's a go! I already know I meet all the requirements so I'm very hopeful!! Cross your fingers for me :) I'm just really worried because I am a major compulsive eater and love sweets! I'm sure I can modify my eating habits but I need to work on my self esteem , thanks for all your help ladies!

Lisa

ok , I'm not 5'6 ,lol , I'm 5'5 but it says my BMI is 38.6 , I hope this is covered , the insurance lady made it sound like morbid obesity wasn't an absolute requiremnt as much as a substantial amount of weight to lose AND health factors, I'm actually getting excited! I have NEVER had any kind of surgery but have read that this one is a breeze as far as pain goes ,I made an appointment to see my DR. monday and we'll be discussing this :D Thanks again for your support , I can't wait to get the old me back , she was pretty healthy and had a decent bod ,lol :)

My doctor required me to have a BMI of 40 or over and mine was 42. I am for the suburbs of chicago and gave the lap band to myself for a 40th birthday present. I am now three weeks out and have lost about 17 pounds. I have started to exercise everyday. If I walk, yoga, or dp eliptical machines every day or every other day. I feel great. I turn 40 in december and have a whole new out look on life. Hopefully you can get it approved.

not quite sure how to do this, am new to this site and seeking information :) hoping to get the go ahead from my dr and insurance and get banded around the first of the year....who knows, we'll have to see how it all pans out. I have tricare insurance and wondered if anybody else had dealt with them in trying to get the lapband done and if they were met with any success. Please let me know so i can get ready to start jumping through some hoops! :D

the weight of my shoulders just coming to this decision should count as part of my total loss :D lol

thanks for your help!

I guess it maybe depends on the state you are from, but here in Idaho my daughter got approved for gastric bypass, but not lapbanding. She did get the gastric bypass and has had no problems, but I would never recommend it over lap banding which can be reversed if necessary and changed with the fills.

Good luck in your Quest. I think insurance coverage appears to be the big issue for most everyone.

My Update , I have a doctors appointment Mon the 7th to discuss Lap Band , I've been telling friends and family members about it , they're nervous for me but hopeful too , I was wondering , how long does the surgery take ? Are fills covered by insurance usually ?

How often , in a normal (hate that word) case are fills required ? Thanks , I'm really excited about this , I must be , I've never had ANY kind of surgery and I'm actually looking forward to this!

Hugs and support , Lisa

Hello !!!

Looks like everything is a go, I'm a bit frustrated as our Bariatric center where Dr. Heyderi does the Banding requires an orientation but it isn't until Jan. 25th , I've been waiting for weeks since i called , it's for the best though , I need all I can find out to do this right ! I'm getting nervous already and actually decided not to get banded once , I became really fed up when I went shopping for my neice who's a tiny thing ,lol , I decided that things are going to be about me for once and making ME happy !! That I will be shopping on the "normal" side of the clothing store. I'll keep updating after the orientation , hopefully I'll be able to set a surgery date soon after !! Thanks for all your support and info , especially to my Band Angel.. HUGS

Lisa:clap2:

I was just wondering if any of you have had an experience when banded of having a stomach bug ? Is it horrible ? moreso than without a band ? You all need to know I worry about EVERYTHING , I just got back from reading the complications section and decided not to get banded ,lol ,I'm still going to the orientation and intend on getting banded , just got REALLY freaked out.

I was wondering too , my friend had a surgery where her stomach is pulled up around her esophagus , I think . It's for very bad heartburn and reflux , she lost a bunch of weight and experiences quite a few of the symptoms of Bandsters who over do it , it's unreal how similar it is. She spits up liquid , she can't really vomit normally , her food goes down sometimes like a golfball in her throat and takes a long time to get down there , she says it hurts her. She's hardly ever hungry.

Anyway , I was really concerned about a good ole fashioned , power heaving case of the flu with bandsters. any experiences would be appreciated , thanks , Lisa

Lisa, most doctors will give you something to alleviate nausea if you have the flu. I've had a couple of episodes of "old fashioned" vomit since being banded, and anything that has gotten through the stoma going down comes up through the stoma just fine. (Blech.) Vomiting is not a good idea, though, and should be avoided if possible.

I've never heard of that surgery that your friend had, but you're right, it does sound almost like banding. Did it help cure her reflux?