Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United or Cigna?

Hi, I'm the new kid on the block. I am trying to work up the nerve to have the surgery...I was already commiting myself to it but after reading some of these threads I have to admit it's scaring me a bit!

We are in the process of benefits enrollment at work - I can pick United Healthcare or Cigna HMO. Which one is more likely to approve for Lap Band Surgery...if I decide to go through with it?

Sue

I have United Healthcare and was approved without a hitch. I've seen many United approvals on this board.

I would ask HR for contact numbers for both companies so that you can call and ask them. Every policy is different.

As far as being scared, in my opinion that's a good thing. It's important to go into this with your eyes open because there can be complications. I'd be scared before ANY surgery, no matter how minor. Research as much as you can about the band. You're in a great place to start! :(

I have united health care...at the seminar when everyone was going up afterwards with the insurance card to see how easy are hard their company was, the lady looked at mine and said...Oh good insurance. LOL And I was approved within a week of the doc sending in the request.

Melissa

I too have UHC, and was approved in about 10 days, very easy to work with and I have yet to receive one bill from 8/25/05

I have had both. I'd choose United. Cigna HMO is a real headache, however, they did cover my second band surgery, because I was on the PPO with my first and had changed to HMO when I needed a second.

i had cigna they want a 6 month supervised diet so i switched over to united health care . approved in 5 days the band cost me 15 dollars my co payment.

I had UH and they are awesome took a couple of weeks after dr sent papers. They pay quick and pay for fills!!!!! I just have to make sure all providers are in network

i was petrified even when i saw surgeon i kept telling myself i could back out any time i wanted, right up to going under i kept that thought,but at 53 and being big all my life i just felt i wanted to spend the rest of my life like thinner people plus i want to travel the world and can't do that properly from a coach window, because my knee's are to sore to hold me up, keep thinking of all the positive's they far outweigh [ no pun meant] any nerve's we get