Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you count calories?

Do you count calories...or what???  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you count calories...or what???

• Yes, I strictly count calories
    • I simply try to make better choices in food
    • I am on a formal diet plan like WW
    • I eat just about all the same things I did before just in smaller quantities

And this somehow tells you how many calories you are burning?

The Bodybugg tells you how many calories you are using not how many you are consuming. I can do that without the pen and paper.

This thread was about counting calories not how many calories you burn in a day. I know what the bodybug does i am not dumb. YOu can figure out how many calories you body needs to maintain you weight

BMR Adult female: 655 + (4.3 x weight in lbs.) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Step two: In order to incorporate your activity level into your daily caloric needs, do the following calculation to get your Activity Level Number.

• If you are sedentary : BMR x 20 percent
  • If you are lightly active: BMR x 30 percent
  • If you are moderately active (You exercise about 3-4 days per week.): BMR x 40 percent
  • If you are very active (You exercise intensely 5 or more days per week.): BMR x 50 percent
  • If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training, or exercise intensely 5 or more days per week for 3 or more hours per day ): BMR x 60 percent

Add your Activity Level Number to your BMR = Daily Caloric Intake (what you would need to maintain you weight)

Yes the bodybug is nice to know the amount but acording to its website it is only 90% correct

this is from the website "Short periods of time in the day may show calorie values you were not expecting. This may be because the calorie burn for that activity is different to what you were expecting, and the accuracy of the system varies with different activities. Over the whole day the average accuracy remains over 90%."

So weather you do the formula or do the bodybugg nothing is exact. The only way you are really going to know how many calories you body needs to maintain is to get you metabolism tested. High end gyms do it and some doctors do it but it does cost.

Don't think i am trying to argue btrieger. If the bodybugg works for you then thats great. You still have to count calories with the bodybugg because the bodybugg just gives you how many calories you body burned in one day you still have to subtract how many calories you eat to see you deficit. But not everyone can afford the bodybugg. Am i am just saying that you can still figure out how many calories you body needs to maintain.

example of mine

the formula gave me a total of 2426.20 calories to maintain my weight

so if i only eat 1000 calories a day that means i am -1426.20 calories and if there is 3500 calories in a lb then i am burning 2.8 lb per week.

Edited by reneek

This thread was about counting calories not how many calories you burn in a day. I know what the bodybug does i am not dumb...

I never called you dumb, I thought you may be a little confused but not dumb.

This thread is about counting calories. I count both those that I consume and those that I use. So, I am twice as on topic as those that just count the ones on the package. :wink2:

According to Buford (my Bodybugg) I burn anywhere from 3,400 to 5,100 calories a day.

Using the standard BMR calculation I would burn between 3,900 and 4,600.

Those numbers are close enough for me but with the Bodybugg, I don't have to do any math or worse yet, decide whether I was sedentary, a little active or a lot active every day.

One way or the other, counting how many calories going one way is basically useless unless you count those going the other way as well.

Counting calories obsessively is how I lost all my weight!

I go through spurts.. basically when I'm doing well I keep accountable by logging everything I eat in fitday.. when I fall off the wagon then I don't. I think at least having a basic idea of how many calories you eat is good it helps you become more familiar with what foods are higher in calories or carbs or fat giving you the information you need to make healthier choices.

If my scale doesn't move down in about 2 weeks, I go back to journaling and calculating calories to get back on track. Don't want to end up like i was before.:w00t:

I choose healthier foods then I did before surgery and eat smaller quantities w/o counting calories which I LOVE

however, when I am due for a fill I find old habits sneaking back in and that's when I have to watch calories until I can be adjusted