Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Delights 2009

Karyn,

This may be too late, but perhaps you should ask your surgeon for a prescription for the patch you put behind your ear that controls nausea. My doc gave me a Rx for them and I'll put one on immediately after the surgery, wear it for three days, then put a new one on and wear it for three days as well. He said it was very important not to throw up with the band on (different from the regurgitation). I'd give him a call if you are still feeling nauseated.

I hope you're feeling better.

Thank you! I'll ask about it on Thursday when I have my first post-op appt. That's WAY better than the medicine I was prescribed for nausea!... which I had a hard time... umm... taking. Don't ask. You don't want to know. Anyway, thank you.

Tomorrow is the big day!! Really excited and a little nervous for the new changes for the upcoming year! Good luck to all December bandsters and the ones having surgery tomorrow along with me! Wish me luck!!:thumbup:

Tomorrow is the big day!! Really excited and a little nervous for the new changes for the upcoming year! Good luck to all December bandsters and the ones having surgery tomorrow along with me! Wish me luck!!:thumbup:

:wub: Well my surgery has been moved from 11 am tomorrow to 7:30 am! I have to be at the hospital by 5 am (UGH!!!:w00t:) My daughter is taking me and I should be home by 3 or so the same day.

I am getting pretty jittery and I am on Clear liquids to day and tomorrow and for the week after. I sure hope I do okay with the diet. I have been so far. My starting weight was 276 and I have lost 38 pounds due to Jenny Craig. I expect to continue using Jenny after I can start eating regular food.

Well wish me luck and say a prayer for me!!

Glad you all are here.:wub:

Pam92:thumbup:

Glad all went fairly well for you Yolly! I had Dr. Hollis as well, he was great! I also woke up with bad gas pains... my advice to you is to use that breathing tool they gave you and take your pain meds... lol. It helps with the gas pains! Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Thanks alot. Your advice really helped.

I was banded on 12/3/09 and I am having chest pains when I hicup. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thank you~

I have been having hiccups and pain. I am guessing the hiccups are aggravating the gas in my stomach and causing the pain. I am also having lots of burping without really burping. I feel like I have to burp, but nothing comes up, then I feel pain. This was worst over the last two days, but seems to be much better today.

I'm 6 days out from Surgery (9/3) and feeling much better today. I was having a lot of gas pain and soreness around the incisions.

Last night I slept through the night for the first time without waking up needing to take some pain meds.

Today, I got up and got out of the house for a while, did some shopping with a friend and didn't have too much pain or soreness at all. I'm hoping this means I am well on my way to recovery! :-)

best of luck, NurseJojo, You're going to do beautifully!!!

Best wishes to all being banded tomorrow!! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I preregistered at the hospital today and my surgery is at 12 noon. I have to be there at 10. I get up at 6 am. I'll be so dehydrated by then I'll probably have a headache. I was bummed. I'm last in line for the day. Oh well, at least it's on the 16th and not the 22nd as previously scheduled! I am whiney on this preop diet although today I ate a little food, all healthy, of course..ya know...like some cottage cheese and a banana.

Thank you! I'll ask about it on Thursday when I have my first post-op appt. That's WAY better than the medicine I was prescribed for nausea!... which I had a hard time... umm... taking. Don't ask. You don't want to know. Anyway, thank you.

I am also having a terrible time with nausea and I was at the clinic today. They said it was the start of dehydration, have to drink more. How can I drink more when it makes me nauceous(sp)

Terri

hi i have surgery on Friday which is the 11th i cant wait days are going so slow. i hate salad and that's all i have been eating the last week.im very excited i cant wait to look how a feel inside (sexy) i have always felt like a skinny chick just waiting to get out!!!! how long is the recovery ??

"I feel like I have to burp, but nothing comes up, then I feel pain. This was worst over the last two days, but seems to be much better today:

tbird,

This sounds like what I'm feeling too - more so yesterday and today - than before. I described it as a 'heartburn' feeling. I'm pretty sure it's normal but will ask about it on Thursday.

You're definitely on the road to recovery!

Best wishes to all being banded tomorrow!! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I preregistered at the hospital today and my surgery is at 12 noon. I have to be there at 10. I get up at 6 am. I'll be so dehydrated by then I'll probably have a headache. I was bummed. I'm last in line for the day. Oh well, at least it's on the 16th and not the 22nd as previously scheduled! I am whiney on this preop diet although today I ate a little food, all healthy, of course..ya know...like some cottage cheese and a banana.< /p>

My surgery was at noon and I too was a little nervous about dehydration and headaches. I made myself stay-up late to drink Water, but it just meant I had to keep getting-up to go to the bathroom. By the time the surgery rolled-around, I was tired and ready for that nap! :) The only thing I can recommend is chapstick (preferably, flavored; I had grape and coconut/pineapple). It won't help the inside of your mouth or head, but it does help.

Banded (RB) on 12/4. A few experiences...

1 - I was surprised with how bad the cotton mouth was and how long it lasted. I must of sipped several gallons of water/ice that day.

2 - 2nd day, had pretty bad gas pains. I was grateful for each burp and otherwise. :) It's gotten progressively better though. Walking helps alot.

3 - Don't get a lot of precise info on wound care, this annoyed me somewhat.

4 - The largest incision I have is almost two inches and the stomach is still somewhat numb around it. Not sure how normal this is, but it's not red/oozing/smelly. I'm scheduled to see my surgeon next Monday (was hoping they would see me this week).

5 - I plan to be at least 100lbs lighter by end of 2010. B)

Rich

12/4/2009

Edited by sariel

Karyn is right. All docs are different. My surgeon said if I didn't quit he would not band me! But that's okay because he is a very good surgeon. He has a couple of special techniques he uses during surgery that he is teaching other LAP-BAND® docs. He has NEVER had a port flip because of this and has only once had to remove a band placed by another doctor. I really wanted him as a surgeon.

Also, the test for smoking is a blood test. Just FYI. It's called CarbonHemoglobin test. Anyway, I quit and I'm glad. I still want one...even dreamed about it...lol but will stay quit even after the surgery. "I am going to live a long and healthy life." (my mantra)

They made you have a blood gas!?!? That's ridiculous. They could have gotten a CO level on you without a stick. They could have just had you clow into a little machine. BUT--I guess it's over now, so no worries, right? I was irritated they made me have a PFT (lung function test) because I was zero risk factor, but I told them upfront that as a respiratory therapist, there was no way in Hades I was consenting to a blood gas, so they dropped it.