Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 4 days post op and I've eaten 2 microwaveable twice baked potatos (those little single serving small ones) today, the whole thing, minus the skin. I was really hungry and my mom said to try it, so I did and it went down fine. Then like 4-5 hours later I had another. and had like a spoonfull of mac and cheese mashed up.

I mean it filled me up, so obviously there's restriction there, but I mean, is this okay? Tomorrow I am supposed to start soft foods, and I will, but should I just take it slow and feel things out? Like I figured on wednesday if things are going well I would try solid foods.

I'm 4 days post op and I've eaten 2 microwaveable twice baked potatos (those little single serving small ones) today, the whole thing, minus the skin. I was really hungry and my mom said to try it, so I did and it went down fine. Then like 4-5 hours later I had another. and had like a spoonfull of mac and cheese mashed up.

I mean it filled me up, so obviously there's restriction there, but I mean, is this okay? Tomorrow I am supposed to start soft foods, and I will, but should I just take it slow and feel things out? Like I figured on wednesday if things are going well I would try solid foods.

I will be honest with you... after about 2 weeks I moved to solid foods... granted I avoided breads and meat. If I were you, and you do move on to solids, be careful, try to avoid bread and meat... you can do like a chicken salad or tuna salad but no single meat... I don't think it would be good for you.

Your not alone. I was banded on Nov 17th and by Thanksgiving had mash potatoes and turkey. I am going to the doc tom.I have 2 cc's filled. I think i need more. Hand in there! This is a bumpy and confusing ride :confused:

Ok, so I guess I'll be the voice of reason here. You are 4 days post op and you are eating like that? Why bother having the surgery to begin with? Surely you met with a nut. and I'm pretty certain that mac & cheese and baked potatoes are not the 4 days post op diet. I guess I just don't understand why someone would go through with the risks of this surgery if they aren't going to take things seriously now that you've been given a chance to change your eating habits. The way I see this is if you are eating that at 4 days post op, what is going to stop you from returning to what/how you ate beforehand in six months?

I really don't mean to come across as rude.. just honest.

Wow, I am 4 days post op today and wouldnt think about eating anything yet. I am on all liquids for 2 more weeks before I can move up to mushie food. I was told this is so you do not risk your band slipping or ripping a stitch...Id slow down and ask your doctor.

OMG please please do not eat solid food yet. Yes, a lot of doctors have different guidelines, but the MAJORITY of them would tell you that you should NOT be eating yet! I also was on liquids for a full two weeks...then two more weeks of mushy/pureed foods, then soft solids....just because it went down does not mean it's ok to eat..you have to let your band settle and let your stitches heal! I would hate for you to just need another surgery...

But to answer your question, you can eat because you dont' have a fill yet...at your 2 week post op, your doc should tell you (if he/she hasn't already) about no restriction and to be careful so you don't disrupt your band. I got my first fill at 6 weeks post op. I'll tell you, once you start feeling hungry, it's definately hard...but you have to be strong and stick to liquids, and MAYBE pureed food (think applesauce, Soups, carnation instant breakfast...NO starchy foods..ie potato's, Pasta, crackers, etc...starchy foods swell AFTER they sit in your stomach and that's just asking for a problem with your band)...

I'm glad you're feeling well enough 4 days after surgery, but PLEASE DON"T MOVE TO SOLID FOODS! You should be on liquids...at least for 2 weeks post op....

Talk with your doctor tomorrow and GOODLUCK!!!!!!!

Edited by barbie1978

I would follow your doctors recommendations. Mine had me on liquid for 1 week. Weeks 2 and 3 were anything pureed. I stuck to it. I am now at one month and have eaten regular foods, slow and easy, chicken and shrimp, green Beans. Lots of Soups still and Protein Shakes. I am with the previous poster. Why go through the pain if we arent going to change how we eat food? My surgery was painful. I am also a self pay. That's a lot of money to not follow the diet plan of not eating wrong foods.

If your doctor said you can have potato on week one then ok but I would get out your papers and follow what they say.

Wishing you success!!

Linda

weight.png

Wow...your doc is pretty laid back?! I had a full week post op of Clear Liquids, then another week of "full" liquids (shakes and such), then a week of mushies, a week of soft solids and then finally eased slowly into solids!

Now as a Mum i normally tell people that they should listen to their Mums as "Mum always knows best".

But in this case she doesn't. You should be following your surgeons advice not your Mums. Who is the expert here, who did the surgery? Yes your surgeon not your Mum.

As a number of other posters have said it is not a case of if you can eat it or not. It is a case of is it in your guidelines from your Dr? If it isn't then you shouldn't be eating it.

The guidelines are there for very good reasons.

You need to make a commitment and start following them.

I have to agree, don't start eating food yet. I remember it was hard but once you are through the liquid stage it will fade into memory. :rolleyes:

I don't want to be harsh, but what are you thinking??? Your stomach is in such a fragile state at this point. It needs time to heal. You can do damage to yourself.

I have to agree with Just-Ice. You start like this, you are sure to be doomed. Please follow your surgeon's advice, not your Mom's. No offense Mom.

Agree with above! You have sutures in your stomach where to attach the band to your stomach.. Do NOT eat anything solid or even mushys at this point!!! Just because you can "eat" and get things down doesn't mean you should. :rolleyes:

Wow! I went five weeks before being able to eat solid foods.....I was banded on October 27th, and have just now been able to really eat food. At this point, because my inflamation has gone down, I am able to eat anything, as long as I chew, chew, chew. Someone told me that four weeks after being banded is the time period that bandsters call, "bandster hell." And that is simply because you are able to eat anything and you start to gain weight. I havent been filled yet. I have my first fill on December 17th, so in the meantime, I need to watch what I eat or else I will gain the lost weight back.

I find it amazing that the doctor is letting you eat such foods......you need to be careful. You dont want to stretch the pouch or cause slippage. I would prevent going on to anything more solid than what you have been eating. Give yourself more time to heal properly. Best of luck!

Ok, so I guess I'll be the voice of reason here. You are 4 days post op and you are eating like that? Why bother having the surgery to begin with? Surely you met with a nut. and I'm pretty certain that mac & cheese and baked potatoes are not the 4 days post op diet. I guess I just don't understand why someone would go through with the risks of this surgery if they aren't going to take things seriously now that you've been given a chance to change your eating habits. The way I see this is if you are eating that at 4 days post op, what is going to stop you from returning to what/how you ate beforehand in six months?

I really don't mean to come across as rude.. just honest.

There is nothing rude about your comment. Infact, I would be nervous about eating solids that soon too! If the band slips or the pouch expands, then you have to go in for another surgery, which means more cost. Of course, for those who arent paying for any surgery, that isnt a problem, but for those of us who are forking out money, it would be. I wouldnt want to go through that surgery again, therefore I am following the directions......it isnt worth the chance of something happening. I agree with you 1,000%!

I'm also confused by time2loseit's post. Banded on 11/17, turkey on Thanksgiving and a fill 2 weeks after surgery. Is this for real?