Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A kind of embarrassing question for the women...

A friend of mine said that they don't allow you to wear underwear during any kind of abdominal surgery. She said that it's because they don't want them getting in the way, which makes sense, I guess. Was that true for you? I'm due to start my period the day before or the day of my surgery, and now I'm all freaked out about it. I feel like such a goober... Here I am, having this surgery, and the only thing that worries me about it is potentially having my period... LOL

I'm a RN and I worked in the OR for a short time a few years ago. The underwear thing depends on the nurses and the doctor. Some let you wear it, others dont. If you have your period, they will place a pad between your legs and under you if they dont let you wear underwear. Don't be too upset, they are used to this...it's a natural occurance! :D

Marsha

It is true that you go underwear-less. I've read several posts on this topic a few months ago on the Yahoo bandster board. I think the concensus was to ask the surgeon how he/she would like you to handle this - tampons okay?

It's unfair that they make us ask about this - it should be printed in the literature that they should hand out when the surgery is scheduled. Of course, why society has felt the need to make women feel embarassed about a natural physical event is another question for a different forum. :D

hi! well i was on period when i had the surgery and yes it ws panty-less and they let me wear a tampon. i agree it should be in the handouts they give! i had to ask my male dr! i still dont know if i had a catheder (sp) but if i did i am glad i was :knockedou knocked out! because i WAS NOT looking foreward to someone getting upclose and personal for the surgery!

OMG!!! I am really freaking about this right about now. It NEVER dawned on my that I may not be able to wear underware. I just assumed that I would. I too will have my period during my surgery and that is very uncomfortable for me to phathom. I do understand that the docs and rn's have seen everything under the sun but I would have like to have known this. I would have based that as one of the factors on scheduling my surgery date. Now, don't get me wrong, I am in no way shy about my body BUT during that time of the month I don't even want my HUSBAND down there let alone any strangers!!

The reason for the no underwear is that in case they need a second or third line the vain in that area is the best.

I also was a little freaked.. I have IBS so I went to the restroom and washed down there I was that freaked out..

I'm sure you will not be the first person on your period to have surgery..

You will be fine!

I guess I will tell you that most tables spread out so the doctor can stand in between your leg to do the surgery.. I found this out after the fact!! My husbands joke was well if you end up prego in a few months we know who to blame..LOL

If you really are stressing over it talk to them before hand if you have 3 weeks they can give you some med to make you start now.

GOOD LUCK!

Originally posted by GingerRenayd2

I guess I will tell you that most tables spread out so the doctor can stand in between your leg to do the surgery.. I found this out after the fact!!

Sorry to get off track, but I didn't know this! I never even thought about where the doctor stood while he did my surgery... So are you tilted in like a sitting postion or are you on your back?I distinctly remember myarms being stretched out onto "arm" tables, for a lack of a better word. I assumed he would stand beside the trunk of my body.

I wish I could rememer the website that showed the surgery and your arms are spread and so are your legs. I guess the doctor have a better view or angle from in between your legs..

I did not want to know where he stood so I never asked. I got my band. I'm fine thats all I wanted to know..LOL

I guess you should or could ask by calling the doctors office or when you go for the blood work ask then.

:D

I wasn't allowed to wear underwear because I had a catheter during the surgery. Thankfully, they waited until I was asleep to put it in, but I was just waking up when they pulled it out!

I know that the doctor saw my chest, too, because one of my lap incisions is right where my bra goes across my sternum. So I imagine he got the full view of everything above and below!

Oh well. It does bother me to think about it, but I just keep reminding myself that he sees this sort of thing every day, on hundreds of folks.

What WAS embarrassing was getting my first fill today. The doctor (same surgeon who did my band) had me strip down to my bra - with NO GOWN - and then did the fill. That was pretty weird.

While dressing before surgery I was completely naked, less the lovely gown.

I really don't think it is that big of deal...they do this every day. The period thing too shouldn't be that big of deal...wear a tampon or if your on the pill start a new pack on the Sunday you would start taking your blanks...you will skip that month...which isn't a bad idea as your uncomfortable after surgery and having to deal with your period is just a bigger pain...

Just my two sense!

Originally posted by alicia

Sorry to get off track, but I didn't know this! I never even thought about where the doctor stood while he did my surgery... So are you tilted in like a sitting postion or are you on your back?I distinctly remember myarms being stretched out onto "arm" tables, for a lack of a better word. I assumed he would stand beside the trunk of my body.

They stand between your legs. No worries though..bet none of us remember it. LOL

This site has drawings. If you are a worrisome kind of person, you might not want to look.

http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/tectec.html

I had my pre-op tests and I had a female nurse that I spoke with. When I questioned her about this she said that I will NOT be allowed to wear a tampon. She said I should come with a pad on and when I get into surgery I will be on a big blue pad on top of the operating table. Now this really makes me uncomfortable but I can't really do anything as my surgery is in 11 days and I can't reschedule it now.