Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hormel Chili Recommendation

I brown my pound "or so" of ground meat and drain it. Add one LARGE can of petite diced tomatoes, 3 cans of red kidney Beans, some small chunks of bell peppers (red and green for color), a couple of teaspoons each of chilil powder and cumin. Simmer it together. Taste it. If it seems bland, you can add a little Tabasco or Texas Pete rather than salt. If you want it spicier still, add some sliced jalapeno peppers.

Another REALLY easy Soup. 1 carton of chicken broth, 2 cans of chicken breast sort of shredded with your fingers. One can each of black beans, kidney beans and ranch style beans (I drain and rish the beans), a can of corn (no need to drain) and a package of taco seasoning. Don't season it until it has simmered for a bit. Using canned stuff, you probably won't have to add any salt.

And, a third soup. For those who've frequented BBQ joints, you may have had brunswick stew: brown a pound of ground meat and drain it. Add one large can of petite diced tomatoes, 2 large cans of chicken breast "finger shredded", a cup or so of pulled pork (you can get it at your BBQ joint), two cans of creamed corn, and a half cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce. Stir it together and let it simmer.

All of these are healthier than what you can buy prepared .... no added salt or preservatives. I make any one of them and have for lunch until the container is gone. But you can freeze any portion of any of these so that you have more of a variety.

I agree that you should make your own. If you don't consider yourself a cook, just find a package of chili mix at the store and follow the directions. You only use one pot so very little cleanup and it's as easy as can be.

I tried the Hormel canned chili stuff and it was so vile I threw it away. Yechh.

I have a very easy chicken chilli I will share. I LOVE to cook and do so on a daily basis. Feed a lot of guys on the farm and they love it. I do get it if you don't like to cook or do not have the time, the processed would be a good source of Protein and quick. I make and throw in the freezer. Ready to grab.

When I make chicken and there are leftovers, I just dice and throw in a freezer bag. Always diced chicken in the freezer to use in this chilli.

6 stalks celery diced

6 large carrots diced

2 Tbls chilli powder

Add a couple of cups of Water, cover and cook till tender (a diced onion is optional)

Do not drain. Use a larger pan so it accomodates all ingredients.

Add a large can of V-8 juice. (1 quart 14 oz size)

3 cups diced chicken

1 can garbonzo beans

1 can butter beans

1 can navy Beans

1 can chilli beans

Heat on low, stirring often.

I have been using half lean ground beef and half ground turkey. I can't tell a difference at all from using straight ground beef. I also rinse the browned meat in very hot Water to get out as much of the grease as possible.

I eat both types of the Hormel Chili all the time. (With Beans and No Beans). I get them at my local Wal-Mart. They actually have a few different varieties. The "No Bean" version has the highest Protein.< /p>

I am not much of a cook either, but I think my turkey chili is pretty good. I start browning the meat while frozen on a low heat. This cooks off some more of that gross looking fat (I use 97% fat free turkey) and my cats love it so it doesn't go to waste. As it cooks I scrape away the fat and start breaking up the meat. When that is done I add: 1 15 oz can Tomato sauce, 1 can of dark or light kidney or pinto Beans, juice and all, a package of reduced sodium taco seasoning (I haven't found reduced sodium chili seasoning, and I don't notice any real defference, plus I am lowering the salt content), a small can of chopped green chilis, and if I have some choped onions in the freezer I throw some of them in too. I let it heat and simmer for a while. When bubbly I sprinkle Kraft fat free shredded cheese on top and let it melt. After I have eaten and the balance has cooled I divide into containers and I bring to work for lunch to reheat in the microwave. Works great, and it is a one dish meal (if you don't count the storage containers for what is left over).

Although the taco seasoning sounds good, there is no need for special seasoning.

Chances are that the chili seasoning is mostly ground cumin, salt and cayenne. Just substitute your favorite potassium product for the salt.

Mimilou did you get a response from Hormel about a low sodium version of the chili? I love it. I also make my own chili and use only fresh ground turkey. I guess I am weird , but I can not stand ground turkey that has been frozen. It just has a weird whang to me. I won't buy or use it after it has been frozen. Thank goodness Walmarts has a good supply of fresh turkey. Speaking of turkey my sisterinlaw found a smoked jalapeno turkey for Christmas. It was unbelievable. So delicious and I am not that crazy about turkey. She found it at Brookshire Brothers grocery store. Happy new year. Let's have chili with our blackeyed peas and cabbage.