Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So besides my mother and brother, I told a few of friends about the surgery. One friend was really great and supportive. Another told me about how she wished she could have the surgery (she's like a size 6 and clearly has no idea what goes into the surgery and how lucky she is NOT to need it). Another friend said to me, "lazy...have you been going to the gym?". oh yes, that's what she said to me.

that is the last person i tell!

Hi.

I agree on not telling ppl. My husband knows and my mother knows, thats it. My son has no idea and my co-workers dont know either. I havent even told my best friend of 20+ years. People look at WLS in very very different ways. I dont want their crap, I will not be told im a lazy dieter and had to cheat to lose it. This is not easy and I still need to watch what I eat and I need to work out to make this work for me. I just dont need people raining on my parade, and im not going to explain to anyone why I did things MY WAY.

Good luck to you and I hope you become a BIG LOSER !!!! I know im trying to get that name. LOL.:wink2:

Yeah, I really wish I had not been do open about it. I have gotten some negative crap too, and from people I would not have expected it from either. Good Luck!

I haven't gotten negative comments about the surgery itself but there is one lady (she's 83 yrs old) in my church group that recently made a rude abrupt comment about what I was eating. Before I could comment, another lady told her that I could eat what I had on my plate and how proud she was of me. The first lady shut-up pretty quickly. It's amazing that some people will comment on what a person eats when they know you're trying to lose. This same lady is a diabetic and I could have said something right back at her since she had a big piece of wedding cake on her plate.

Just try to consider the source and be choosy who you tell.

anyone who gives you a hard time for the surgery does not have your best intrest in mind. Do not waste your time with them, keep positive you did this for you not them!

I somewhat have a different approach on who I told. I had my surgery on November 13th. I told people the moment I knew my date. I work at a hospital and work nightshift. I'm around a lot of nurses and doctors. I have my husband, father, and in laws, but other then that I don't have a lot of family, so I really consider some of the people I work with family. I feel that I'm not at all ashamed to tell people. I mean I'm overweight and doing something about it. I don't see WLS as a form of cheating or laziness. I believe that if you wait and and just get more overweight as the years go on, that your more at risk of certain diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, do I need to go on? Being in the healthcare field, if I have any concerns about myself post surgery I get good suggestions. Not to mention the fact that after surgery they would see how little I eat and wonder what's up. Almost everyone I know is extremely supportive of my decision. It's good to have that support then go through all this alone.

But some people are different, some people may not be as accepting and be ignorant of what's going on.

It's always up to the person!:wink2:

If anyone has a negative comment about my surgery then I frankly don't need them in my life. I have told everyone and anyone and I've been amazed with the support I have received. I had such good friends who never made me feel fat before and they continue to be there for me now. The ones that really made me feel good were the ones who told me they were proud of me. I even mentioned surgery on Facebook and then waited to see who asked what I was doing to tell them... people I hadn't seen in 10 plus years were excited for me and it's made me more excited for me.

Hi,

I have told every one and any one. I figure if I was willing to go thru this surgery to get healthy, then they can know.

Believe it or not I have had not one negative comment.

Most people really do not understand, until I explain,then it is good for you.

Also all my life I was thin 120 -130 5 ft 5 around 10 years ago I had a rough patch in my life and health gained over 80 pounds....so I have been on both sides of the coin and most people know that, so maybe that makes a different.

i am telling pretty much everyone i share my life with. if it is someone i don't feel is positive or supportive in general -- i don't tell them right out.

the support i have gotten has been positive and overwhelming. and i think part of that has to do with how positive i am about myself. my confidence about my deicisions in life leave very little room for the peanut gallery.

Gaylancsu, you sound just like me... LOL I have also told everyone and anyone... I have had nothing but amazing support. The ONE negative I got was from a guy I had gone out w/like twice, who by the way, dropped off the face of the earth, well, he emails me one day... and I tell him about my surgery... I get from him "I wouldn't do that, it has shown to have bad results (WTF??) and whatever happened to doing it the old fashined way" I told him off and never heard from him again... good riddance to bad rubbish...but I put it all over Facebook as well. I have reconnected w/people I haven't seen in anywhere from 25-28 yrs on Facebook and EVERYONE of them have been supportive... I too have friends who have never made me feel fat and are sooooo supportive of me and what I have accomplished so far... they even brag about me to other people... and now one of my other friends is going to the seminar for my surgeon this month... my family, behind me 150%..... I figured everyone knew I was fat, it was no big secret.... and I felt I had so much to be proud of for taking control of my life when I made the decision to have LBS.... as a matter of fact, I just had dinner w/a bunch of my friends for my birthday a week ago and a few days later one of them called me to tell me about how everyone was talking about how happy I looked!! good luck!!

If anyone has a negative comment about my surgery then I frankly don't need them in my life. I have told everyone and anyone and I've been amazed with the support I have received. I had such good friends who never made me feel fat before and they continue to be there for me now. The ones that really made me feel good were the ones who told me they were proud of me. I even mentioned surgery on facebook and then waited to see who asked what I was doing to tell them... people I hadn't seen in 10 plus years were excited for me and it's made me more excited for me.