Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-payers

kiz how did they diagnose that you had a leak? My doc said that he put 4 cc's in last time and when i went back in for a fill he said that there were only 3cc's. I asked how? why? he said that possibly it could have evaporated or that it came out after he did the fill?? I have seen where they do a barium test and wondering if he should have done this on me.

(I was responding to somedayslim who had been diagnosed with a leak.)

I know they can do a dye test under fluoro to check for a leak, and I'm sure there are other methods too. However, a 1 cc discrepancy doesn't necessarily mean a leak. My doctor could never pull out the exact amount of saline as he (or the NP) had put in, and I don't have a leak. I don't know if that's more common with the Realize band because it's low pressure, but I've read many posts by other Realize patients that they've experienced the same thing.

Okay - so, I went to my consult. It went very well! Doctor was very nice. The only pre-op testing I have to do is get a pysc evaluation, cleared from my primary doc, EKG and chest x-ray. I am hoping to get my PCP to figure a way to get my ekg and x-ray covered by ins.

I asked the doc if he thought January would be good or if it was too soon and he said Jan should be fine!:thumbup:

I also asked him about getting the BLIScare ins since I am self pay. He actually said that he does not really recommend it for band pts, more for bypass pts. But, he also suggested I speak with their ins/self-pay people. I am expecting a call from them this week.

Congratulations and good luck!

That's interesting. My doctor who did my surgery didn't offer the BLIS insurance. The local doctor offered it, but his costs were at minimum $5000 more and the insurance only covered for 30 days. He required the minimum level of BLIS. For $5000 I was wiling to take the risk for 30 days. It was another jump in cost to up the length of time of coverage. I don't remember what the max time was, but there were exceptions to the coverage. It's nice that it is available, but it just put the surgery out of my price range.

Since my band is not covered by insurance I do get paranoid about everything. I have them check my band every time I go in for my swallow test for GERD. They are looking at my stomach anyways. I can't get fills right now. They don't want to try it until I am symptom free for at least three months. Since I just had another surgery it will be next year now. I can't complain, I am still losing weight by just over a pound a week on average and my GERD symptoms are way, way less than before the band.

Another point to make and question.. does anyone know about the tax breaks for surgery and how exactly that works? I keep on hearing something about 7.5% of your income but I don't know anything about taxes.

Anything over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (line 38) may be deductible using Schedule A.

As an example, if your income is $50,000, anything you spent over $3750 for medical expenses is deductible. This would include your surgery costs, any and all prescription costs, any doctor co-pays, mileage to and from any/all doctor/dentist appointments (24¢/mile), actual travel costs (air fare if you fly to your surgeon), etc.

When tax time comes around (or even before) be sure to think about claiming all your medical expenses. And remember, for this year when you are trying to claim medical expenses, it's not just your expenses that can be claimed... you can (and should) add in all the expenses for your spouse and children. Because of this self-paid surgery, this might be (hopefully) your only year where your medical expenses are deductible.

In past years I've always attempted to claim medical expenses but actually had a sigh of relief that I never had enough to claim them (that meant I was relatively healthy and didn't have huge expenses). Now that I had surgery this year, you are darn tootin' that I'm claiming them all.

:biggrin: Thanks everyone for sharing & asking questions.....please keep it up! Perhaps the mods or whoever is in charge around here will take notice and create a self-payers sub-forum! Here are two things a surgeon told me last week: 1) Surgeon should put at least 8 stitches to hold lap band to stomach....which helps prevent slipping later on. 2) Surgeon should do fills with florouscopy (sp?) so that surgeon doesn't accidently poke a hole into tubing and cause a leak. Surgeon said most can do it by feel, but why take a chance if you are paying yourself!

amlus, last week Alex said he'd be happy to start a forum for self-payers. I sent him a reminder PM today, so hopefully we'll have a spot soon.

Congratulations and good luck!

That's interesting. My doctor who did my surgery didn't offer the BLIS insurance. The local doctor offered it, but his costs were at minimum $5000 more and the insurance only covered for 30 days. He required the minimum level of BLIS. For $5000 I was wiling to take the risk for 30 days. It was another jump in cost to up the length of time of coverage. I don't remember what the max time was, but there were exceptions to the coverage. It's nice that it is available, but it just put the surgery out of my price range.

I have not heard from the self-pay/ins person at the office to discuss how much extra it will cost. If it is that high, FORGET IT! My docs office covers any problems for the first year after surgery so that is cool...

SWEET! We will have a home!

:thumbup::bananapowerslide::(

We have a home just in time for the holidays! :Yawn: Amlus, you should have the honors of first post. :woot:

Self-Pay LAP-BAND

Sorry, the insurance wasn't an extra $5000. The cost of the local surgeon over Dr. K in Denver was that much. That price included the lowest BLIS insurance. It's a gamble whether to get it or not.

Amlus, you should have the honors of first post. cool.gif

Thanks Kiz! Really, you contacted the mods and asked....so you deserve some credit!

Anyway~SELF-PAYERS!!!! HEAD ON OVER TO OUR NEW SUB-FORUM, LOCATED RIGHT BETWEEN THE MEN'S ROOM AND THE powder ROOM!:thumbup:

Clearly, with almost 1,000 views we have some interest!

THANK YOU ROBIN! Your information is very helpful! :thumbup:

Wow! it seems that a lot of you have paid all the expenses on your own. Some of my friends prefer to self-insure, but I'd rather get insured to protect my assets.

I was thinking of getting " long term care insurance." I came across this site discussing the long term care insurance elimination period -- http://www.completelongtermcare.com/resources/benefit-period.aspx

Can anyone explain to me the LTC benefit period? i would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Edited by headoverheels