Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what's up with gaining?!

hey everyone. i was banded on oct 13 and lost consistenly until this week. i am now up 4 pounds. i have not had a fill yet, not until dec 3. but i am on soft foods and eat 4 times a day ( 3 meals and a snack). after what i used to eat, shouldn't i still be losing. i exercise at least 5 times a week. very discouraged at this time. then my hubby was talking to someone and said 'she only lost 12 pounds since surgery'. i was so upset and said 'only?' until i started gaining i was feeling pretty good, but with the gain i am very upset. and long timers that can enlighten me, please do.:w00t:

You may be getting rehydrated since you're now able to take in more liquids than you were previously. Also, if you're eating the wrong soft foods, you will gain.

Tell your husband you need support and his comment was not supportive. Twelve pounds since mid-October is incredible.

xo

Tell your hubby that this the lap-band not gastric bypass. You are suppose to lose 1-2 pounds a week and you're doing great. He needs to keep the negative comments away from you so you can stay positive.

You might try to write in a journal exactly what you are eating each day. It might show you a weak area that you could improve. Drink your Water, exercise, and don't worry about the gain. It will turn around again.

The road is going to have bumps! But I have to ask, are you to receive your monthly visitor soon? I easily gain5-7lbs that week, and it comes right off the next week!

This is actually your time to be healing not worrying so much about losing weight. It is disconcerting in the beginning to gain a little bit but once you start to have fills, that will go away as long as you do the right things by your band. Keep your chin up and you cannot judge your results by what other people are doing. If you do that, you will be worried and upset all the time. Set your personal goal and work toward that. It makes your life much much easier. Everyone loses at a different pace.

I was just in your shoes! I was banded on 23 September and didn't get my first fill until 6 November. Well, before the fill, I had gained. Not because I wasn't being careful or eating the wrong foods...I just gained. I am old enough now to realize that I will never figure out how my body works! I just did the best I could and waited until the fill. Well, since Friday, I have lost 5 pounds! It does work, but you just have to be patient and give it time. It is NOT the bypass and it will NOT be an instant gratification type thing. This is a slow but sure thing. Don't sweat the small stuff, stay away from the scales until you get your first fill (easier said than done, I know) and try to be as positive with yourself as possible. You have made a very important change in your life and your body is trying to catch up with that decision. Be proud of yourself! You are on the way to a new life. Enjoy the ride and don't let anything take you away from the journey (not even a husband that needs a lesson in the proper way to support you) :smile2:

Elgrad

Your are doing fine. That is normal, frustrating but normal. Keep up what you are doing.

Tell hubby you are twelve pounds sexier and that is all he can handle right now :smile2:

hey everyone. i was banded on oct 13 and lost consistenly until this week. i am now up 4 pounds. i have not had a fill yet, not until dec 3. but i am on soft foods and eat 4 times a day ( 3 meals and a snack). after what i used to eat, shouldn't i still be losing. i exercise at least 5 times a week. very discouraged at this time. then my hubby was talking to someone and said 'she only lost 12 pounds since surgery'. i was so upset and said 'only?' until i started gaining i was feeling pretty good, but with the gain i am very upset. and long timers that can enlighten me, please do.:smile2:

Chin Up!!!! if you have only gained 4 lbs then your still in the good! you will go up and down by atleast 5 lbs at any point in time.... you must becareful to pay close attention to what you are eating tho... it could be Water weight, it could be you period, it could be the salt in your diet... so chin up your on the right path!!

surgery date: 12/18/09

loss weight to date: 90 lbs

thanks everyone!!!! it was great of all of you to respond. you all said things that i know, but needed to hear to get it

in my head. hubby is very supportive, but i think he forgets that it is a slow process. i have increased my exercise a bit.

so that should at least help a bit. i am not a big salt eater, so i don't see that as a problem. i am not a big processed food eater ( not that you can be at this time anyway ), so i think that is a plus.

thanks again for all your comments and support!:smile2:

Hey there - I was banded on the 24TH of september - and my dr said that there isnt supposed to any weight loss untill your first fill.. i lost 19lb and then gained 4 of that back before my first fill and have now lost 4 pounds since that time last week. and i am not even working out, or really eating the right things... soo it is just an example..

its ok to feel like this.. i had a day of regretting my decision but its ok now. i know it was the right thing.

YOU WILL BE OK!

we are all here for support :tongue2:

I've gained seven pounds since getting banded a few weeks ago. I had a dr appointment yesterday, and I said "I've gained weight!" and it's not because I'm eating out of control. He told me I'm not to worry about that right now and that there's nothing wrong with it. It happens to some people. Once I get filled (next week) then we will start working on the weight loss. He said right now is a time for healing and for learning how to eat again. Weighing food and not drinking at meal time are very important, both of which I need to work on!

Good luck with the weight loss. It will happen. Don't get discouraged.

Sheri

:tongue_smilie::rolleyes::smile:

Dont worry about it. You are doing fine.

I am almost 3 weeks post op and now I am not losing any more weight. I gained 2 lbs thru the week but am still down 20 since my surgery. I finally lost those 2 lbs again... I am barely eating maybe 300 calories a day. I am not hungry at all and actually forget to eat. I am just wondering when I will start losing again. I am afraid they wont give me a fill since i am not really hungry. I am not exercising until they give me the go ahead ... I go for a checkup tomorrow morning.

I am still having pain so in the evenings after working 10 plus hours I am really tired. My clothes are falling off of me but I wish the weight would start going down again... I guess I need to be patient...

If you read through all the threads you will see that it is completely normal to gain wait during your pureed/soft food stage.

The first 2 months are for healing, not weight loss. Some people do lose during this time but most do not. Until you have restriction you most likely will not lose weight and should not worry.

Also, if you recently began exercising you are probably gaining muscle at the same time as losing fat and I'm sure you've heard it before....muscle weighs more than fat!

You are just a band baby. Give it time and if you follow the rules you will lose weight.

Hi Fran I was in the same boat. I thought Dr. would chew me out but actually told me don't be surprised if I gained a little more. At the next appt. I had lost the 5 I gained and 2 more. Was banded 8-10-09 had 1 fill of 3cc 9-17 go again 11-12 down 30 today,don't worry it will happen stay the course. Spank

I was on liquids for 3-4 weeks..

i was warned that once I started eating solids..i would gain.. but dont look at is as "what am I doing wrong?"

The way it was explained to me is basically..when you are on liquids for a longer period of time..you empty your bowels..so its not that you gained 'fat'...youa re just filling your bowels back up! Which will add a few lbs back onto your scale!

Hope that puts you at ease somewhat!!

xoxo