Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post op and I cheated! Please help.

My doc has us do liquids for 4 weeks post op before moving to mushies and today I just really needed to have something more filling. We dont get cream Soups only broth so I made Tomato Soup and then melted alittle cheese in it. I didnt each much but I am kinda upset I couldnt stick to the whole schedule. I can have Tomato juice so I figured Soup wouldnt be too far a strech.

I didnt have any pain but did have alittle rumbling in my stomach but it does that anytime I put anything but Water in. Any suggestions if you think is this a huge mistep? Did you have anything similar a week after? I dont want to mess up my band but I know I cant stick 100 percent to my docs recc he has all dairy as a no no for life after banding. I can give up carbs but not carbs and cheese lmao!

Why are you beating yourself up? Just being your surgeon makes a recommendation of 4 weeks (btw mine says 10 days), if your body needs more nurishment, Soup would be and is fine. Now if you said you ate a hamburger and french fries I'd be worried LOL, but not soup. Remember that the lap band is just a tool. You're the one in control of what passes through your lips. I just had my surgery on 11/2 so I'm 5 days post op. Right now nothing sounds good except my Protein Shakes which after 1 to 2 oz make me full. Again, don't beat yourself up. :w00t:

My surgeon allowed me to move on to Soups and scrambled eggs on day 7. Don't worry. You aren't hurting anything. Just keep walking to make sure the gas moves along. I had no problems moving. I am on week there and now on pureed food. Hang in and don't beat yourself up. I thought a week was long, I can't image 4 weeks.

I was also banded on 10/29...I have been able to keep away from things but today has been hard and so I also had some home made Tomato Soup with a slice of cheese....it seemed to have kept my stomach from gurgling so much....I seem to be really hungry the past 24 hours....growl, growl the tummy goes...I have a 14cc and no fill...should I feel any restriction?:w00t:

I wouldn't worry that you put a little cheese on Soup. The soup is fine but I would definitely talk to your surgeon. My surgeon never told me to give up dairy especially forever. Are you sure you understood it right. Maybe he just told you to give up dairy until you are on solids. I would check with him and be sure you totally understood. In the beginning there were things I thought I knew that I really didn't understand. Be prepared though. In order to make the band work and do what it is supposed to do you will have to do what you are supposed to do and stick the plan. Good Luck.

I wouldn't worry that you put a little cheese on Soup. The soup is fine but I would definitely talk to your surgeon. My surgeon never told me to give up dairy especially forever. Are you sure you understood it right. Maybe he just told you to give up dairy until you are on solids. I would check with him and be sure you totally understood. In the beginning there were things I thought I knew that I really didn't understand. Be prepared though. In order to make the band work and do what it is supposed to do you will have to do what you are supposed to do and stick the plan. Good Luck.

Yes in fact on the nutrition book they gave us they have a list of food to avoid for life. It also includes caffine. The nutritionist said that some people dont follow these reccs to a t but the best success theyve seen is from people who do. His thought i guess is that dairy is fattening even the low fat kind.

You should try to follow your doc's recommendations post-op and if you find that you cannot, you should call and talk with them.

Like your doctor, mine has a very strict "for life" diet. While losing weight, he wants us on two shakes and one small meal each day - it really is very impossible to do that for months on end. I don't follow it to the letter every day, but my surgery was 18 months ago.

While in the post-op stages, you should be doing what the doctor says. Healing relies on it.

I'm sorry but I doubt your surgeon really believes that any of his patients are 100% true to his post op diet. In saying that at least you only cheated with Soup and it wasn't something hard, don't beat yourself up over it - I cheated on my preop diet and I admitted that to my nurse, I also said to him after you've screwed me around 3 times for surgery I wasn't entirely sure if I was going to get surgery so I didn't stick to it faithfully at all, he agreed with me of course cuz he was in the wrong lol but everyones different.

Well one of the suggested things on my surgeons list for week three is low fat mac & cheese. So I think I love my surgeon about now. I agree it is about weight loss. As long as you watch your intake of sugar (the biggy with my surgeon) and get all our Proteins in first, you should be good. I could never give up dairy. it was hard enough giving up my diet coke. :smile2:

I was terrible!!!! I ate... and ate... and ate... so far no issues but I may have just been lucky. I did however make sure that whatever I ate I pureed into a liquid in my mouth before swallowing. It was hard but if anything it helped me to learn how ALL food should be eaten ALL the time. I was a real gulper before.

If you must cave in, just be selective in what you have - try for soft texture like Pasta or mash potato and gravy (KFC)

I ate a steak after 10 days and lived in fear for about 3 weeks. Not worth it!!!!! And then I felt like I was a failure and sort of gave up on all the rules. Not the best move. So just dont go there. I am back on track now and doing just fine.

The doctor said that the first month is the hardest. Thats because you are expected to eat nothing and have NO RESTRICTION - so of course it is hard. Even after the first fill I had virtually no restriction too. So just do your best and get those fills as soon as you possibly can.

And if I can do this HELL anyone can!!!

I'm one week post op and I'm having discomfort under my left rib. Nothing seems to help. Has anyone else experienced this?

Well thanks/ I was looking for insight/ I'm only a week in and starting to feel like i need more of a filling feel in my stoma but will stick to Soups another week before moving on to soft foods Dr ask me to try to stick to that as long as two weeks but only eating three times a day. So everyones feedback was great /will stick with what works for me and not surcome to those feelings of wanting to feel completly full/ thanks again GOD BLESS:thumbup:

Every surgeon has different guide lines. Mine said cream soups/oatmeal (runy) things like that where okay. I wouldn't have been able to do Clear liquids for that long.. NO WAY! I am sure you will be okay.

Try not to eat anything that will cause gas, since your stomach already has alot of trapped air in it after surgery.

I wonder why no dairy? Mine never told me that? Can anyone answer that?

Edited by Starting-overin-AZ

I know each doctor is different but 4 weeks liquids seems really long. I only had to do about 7 days Clear Liquids then 12 days of full liquids (creamy Soups stained, pudding, yogurt). I think you are doing great. When I talked to my doctor about being hungry they told me things to add to my diet so maybe they can do the same for you. Good Luck!